SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Relocated to Arizona!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Relocated to Arizona! Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge: We're leaving Washington state.

It’s a little early, but welcome to the freedom of Arizona! What a time to move. It’s just starting to warm up. We went to Mesa yesterday to go to H-Mart. It was a pleasant 94°.

Pretty cool you will be down here. Congratulations!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
A lot of my conservative coworkers have/are moving down there. Good luck!

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
We’ll miss you here, enjoy AZ!

And you do get used to the conditions. Humans are built to adapt and if you give it time, it will be okay.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the good news, you’ll escape in time to avoid our new standard capacity magazine ban.

I know we talked about getting together for coffee, I’d still like to make that happen before you go.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Another big congrats from a former WA 'inmate' that lived there for 30 years. We left (escaped) in 2001 and LOVE living in AZ for the the last 20+ years.
When we left WAfganistan is wasn't quite the s-hole it is today. We still have lots of friends and family up there but some have also left for AZ.

Posts: 3998 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! Yeah, I'm pretty excited. I did what I could to vote and email politicians, but ya'll know the writing's been on the wall for a long time. I got the opportunity to pull the ripcord, and after this last legislative session, it wasn't a hard decision.

911Boss, definitely, let's do. You've got my number.

I looked, and a resident concealed carry permit isn't required (constitutional carry excellence), but is reciprocated damn near everywhere in the country I'd care to visit. It's like taking a deep breath of freedom. I'm so very much looking forward to this.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!!! Very exciting move!

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Okay. But man, this is concerning:

quote:
As far as negatives, it would be a 5% raise, but we just found out that would get eaten by income tax, which we don't have here. Wife wasn't thrilled about that. Similar or even higher sales tax (10% here), so I'm not thrilled about that. With cirrhosis, I have bad edema in my legs, and last summer when it got up to 111 degrees, my lower legs swelled so bad it felt like the skin was going to burst like a microwaved hot dog.

Two things. A 5% raise is not a good deal, almost terrible, especially with the added income tax. That's less like incentive to move and more a perfunctory gesture, I dunno about that. I wouldn't find it motivating at all. Beats zero, I guess, but asking for more seems reasonable to attempt, like 5% AFTER the Tax Diff..

Also, your health and legs and the AZ heat is straight worrisome now that you bring it up.

I loved Arizona, but dude, it can go 90days straight in Phoenix in the summer and never go below 100* even at midnight.

Occasionally it will be 115* and such, I was at an outdoor concert once at 117*...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
She felt awkward about it, but I pushed her to ask for another 5%. Should know today, one way or the other.

The legs thing worries me too. I hope it’s just an adjustment period kind of thing. I am supposed to avoid salt at all costs, and in truth, I haven’t been great about that and I can definitely tell the difference when I clamp down on the sodium content in foods. I guess we’ll see.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
She felt awkward about it, but I pushed her to ask for another 5%. Should know today, one way or the other.

The legs thing worries me too. I hope it’s just an adjustment period kind of thing. I am supposed to avoid salt at all costs, and in truth, I haven’t been great about that and I can definitely tell the difference when I clamp down on the sodium content in foods. I guess we’ll see.
Are you taking any meds for the swelling? My doctors (plural) have me on Lasix (Furosimide) and Metalazone specifically for that condition, and Eliquis (blood thinner) to prevent strokes. Those do seem to help me.

I only lived in Arizona my first year--my dad was a construction worker building Bartlett Dam NE of Phoenix)--but my parents and sister lived in the Phoenix area for many years beginning in the 1960s and I visited them there. It does get very hot there, but the residents seem to get along with it quite well. A/C availability has helped a lot, of course, but some physical adaptation is also at work. At first, don't do a lot of exertion in the Sun, wear a hat and sunglasses, and always have water with you (and drink it--thirst is not enough of an indicator that you are dehydrating!). Sunblock or long sleeves are also a good idea.

BTW, my birthplace, Bartlett Dam, creates a big reservoir for Phoenix's water supply, and it is also used for recreation. It's about an hour's drive NE of the city, east of Cave Creek, and I recommend at least going to see it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Furosemide and Amiloride, but they’re pretty low dose according to my doctors.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Beats zero, I guess, but asking for more seems reasonable to attempt, like 5% AFTER the Tax Diff..

Which is what she asked for, at my urging, and got word today that they approved it. It's not a massive raise, no. But the big incentive is escaping California North. She gets the paperwork later this week, then it's official.

As for the health issues and the edema, I told my wife I would rather physically suffer than live here any more. I do no want to spend the rest of my life here, as beautiful as it is. Without getting into a whole long thing, I'm in a much better place health-wise than I was last year, so I'm hopeful that I'll adjust to the heat without undue problems. I've been freezing my ass off for over a year now since I lost all the weight anyways.

On that note, there's good and bad news. We'll be moving in about three months. So, there's some breathing room as far as getting the house ready to list and to go see and do some of the things we want to do before we leave. But that's also getting right into the hottest part of the year, and God-only-knows with gas prices. May end up having to have the truck relocated as well, I don't know.

Oh. And the moving company will not move live ammunition. So I don't know what I'm going to do about that. I can't afford to shoot it all up, and honestly... the idea of selling off what I have pains me deeply. It was an absolute struggle to get my hands on what little I have, which is enough that packing it into the truck and back and forth to hotel rooms every night if we end up driving sounds like a nightmare. I'm not sure I can ship it, I'm guessing not. I guess an epic range trip or two with my SWAT friend, sell some, and save enough to take the bare bones with me on the plane if it comes to that. I don't know. And really, that's so far down on the list of stuff that needs to be figured out that it's almost not even worth talking about.

Moving sucks, but I'm really hopeful that this one is worth it.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
WRT moving the ammo. When we moved from NC to TX the movers wouldn’t move ammo either. I put it all in ammo cans. Stacked them against the back of the bed of my pickup and piled other shit they wouldn’t move on top, motor oils, fluids, gunpowder and primers were in the cab along with the dog, etc. I had a whole bed full of stuff such that I looked like a gypsy. I didn’t unload it at night, just backed the truck into a spot where it could be seen from the front of the hotel and took out the dogs crate. Three days of driving two overnights. Mrs. Mike had all the guns in the trunk of her sedan, and had a bunch of stuff over top of them.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Furosemide and Amiloride, but they’re pretty low dose according to my doctors.

^^^^^^^^^^^
The biggest thing is restricting salt. BTW most locals do not go out in the midday sun, you should be ok. Remember mad dogs and Englishmen?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
When I moved to AZ, I put as much ammo as I could into the gun safe I was moving, had enough in the car for the couple of guns I was driving cross country, and shipped the remainder via UPS to a friend’s house, since I wasn’t sure if the ammo or I would get here first. Turned out it wouldn’t have been a problem timing wise, but better safe than sorry.

You will adapt to the climate here, and the snowbird season is quite nice, aside from the snowbirds. The advice on water consumption is key, as well as sun block, hats and long sleeves.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
…like 5% AFTER the Tax Diff…

So, that’s what I had her ask for, and it was approved. Paperwork should come through by Friday. That came back today, so this is happening.

quote:
Also, your health and legs and the AZ heat is straight worrisome now that you bring it up.

Yeah, I definitely have my concerns about it. But like I told my wife yesterday, I would rather suffer physically there than live here any longer. Also, they have the Mayo Clinic there in Scottsdale. That’s all my buddy with the new liver said when I talked to him. “You’re covered. Don’t even worry about it.” With that, it will be an improvement in the care in getting.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Regarding the advice on moving the ammo, I appreciate it. I'll have to see what's involved with their handling my safe. Could be a good time to sell it and buy a newer bigger one. It's packed to the gills and I can't even get everything in there. I was looking at adding a smaller one to the bedroom for just the defensive stuff, but it didn't happen.

My wife said there was something in the moving paperwork about having to provide a list of serial numbers of all firearms. Not thrilled about giving anyone a list of my guns, but I need to get that paperwork from her and read all of it before I do too much speculating.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Smile

I'd probably be burying my ammo in socks and such to get it moved with the rest.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've moved a fair amount of ammo on two day road trips and left in the car/trailer at the hotel. As said, packed stuff around and over it. Not a problem thankfully.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I don’t know much about Arizona, I’ve only visited a few times. But I am very familiar with Seattle and the PNW. Glad to hear you’re getting out of there, because IMO the Seattle area, beautiful as it may be, is a lost cause culturally.

Good luck finding a place to land in AZ, and let us know how you make out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2Adefender,

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post