SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Relocated to Arizona!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Relocated to Arizona! Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
My wife said there was something in the moving paperwork about having to provide a list of serial numbers of all firearms. Not thrilled about giving anyone a list of my guns, but I need to get that paperwork from her and read all of it before I do too much speculating.

I get you, but they are going to require it if they move the guns. Got to be sure what specific gun was moved, especially in case of loss, which does happen.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
When I’ve moved, I ship the ammo with the mover and bring my guns myself. Ymmv

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh. And the moving company will not move live ammunition. So I don't know what I'm going to do about that.

The moving companies I got quotes from before my move from CA to TX would not ship ammo or my reloading components. We later decided to do the entire move ourselves, got rid of a metric ton of stuff before we left. Did three Uhaul trips in a two month period, the final one with a truck and towing my wife's car, a one-way trip. The trip before, I drove my Tacoma to DFW, but hooked up a Uhaul box trailer on the back. Filled my truck with my long gun collection and literally a ton of ammo went into the truck and trailer. Also the reloading stuff as well. My son helped me drive non stop for 24 hours to a friends house who stored my truck, guns, and ammo in her garage. My handgun collection went with us on our final drive, again drove it non-stop from CA to TX.

A lot of work and planning, but 100%, everything got to the destination without a scratch.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Rent a PODS for your ammo and any other fairly critical stuff.

There's only one door and you have the only key to a lock that you buy, so buy a high security lock and lock the thing up.

PODS doesn't inspect the inside after you load it or any other time, they take your word about explosives and such.

https://www.pods.com/

https://www.pods.com/faqs

What can't I load in a Container?
Hazardous Materials such as toxic chemicals, gas, liquids, substance, material or waste, lawn mowers, motorized vehicles and illegal items cannot be placed in a PODS Container.
We also recommend that heirlooms, irreplaceable artifacts, deeds, legal notices, forms of currency and items that are not your personal property are not placed in the Container. Refer to your rental agreement for additional restrictions on what cannot be stored in the Container.
HUMAN OR ANIMAL HABITATION IS ALSO SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Flash-LB,

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Does Border Patrol ever check these containers? Just thinking it might be a risk.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Would ammo and smokeless powders be considered "hazardous materials"? Are you suggesting one lie to the rental agency?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time my ammo comes it has the Hazardous material label.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Are you suggesting one lie to the rental agency?
flashguy

I called Pods. I explained exactly what I needed to do, just dead honest. "I need to move ammo from Seattle area to Mesa, Arizona area and nobody wants to handle ammo. That's a long drive with a truck that gets rough gas mileage. Am I out of luck? Should I..." The person I talked to cut me off and said "We don't like to move ammunition. Do you have a Gun Safe?" I told them I did. There was a very long pause. "Good. You can put your Gun Safe in the Pod. We give the only key to the Pod directly to you. We do not open the Pod to inspect it, only you do. I suggest you put your Gun Safe in the Pod. We can then move it immediately to a climate-controlled storage facility at the destination. Since you won't require long-term storage, you will be fine." I told the Pod person that I think I understood them.

Need to keep looking into options, but I think it's definitely a possibility. Packing my safe, guns, and ammo into a locked storage container kind of sits better with me than having a bunch of strangers pack up my guns. We'll see. I greatly appreciate the lead on that, Flash-LB.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I called Pods. I explained exactly what I needed to do, just dead honest. "I need to move ammo from Seattle area to Mesa, Arizona area and nobody wants to handle ammo. That's a long drive with a truck that gets rough gas mileage. Am I out of luck? Should I..." The person I talked to cut me off and said "We don't like to move ammunition. Do you have a Gun Safe?" I told them I did. There was a very long pause. "Good. You can put your Gun Safe in the Pod. We give the only key to the Pod directly to you. We do not open the Pod to inspect it, only you do. I suggest you put your Gun Safe in the Pod. We can then move it immediately to a climate-controlled storage facility at the destination. Since you won't require long-term storage, you will be fine." I told the Pod person that I think I understood them.

Need to keep looking into options, but I think it's definitely a possibility. Packing my safe, guns, and ammo into a locked storage container kind of sits better with me than having a bunch of strangers pack up my guns. We'll see. I greatly appreciate the lead on that, Flash-LB.

You're quite welcome.

Don't ask me how I came up with the idea, but I used PODs when I moved here 18 years ago.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Obviously, PODS has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy about ammo in their carriers.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I got sharply spoken to by the US Capital Police once when they saw a case of primers in the back seat of my car (plain view), parked on US Capital grounds. They said it's considered a hazmat and I wasn't even allowed to drive through the 3rd St. Tunnel with that. They didn't do anything else though.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I got sharply spoken to by the US Capital Police once when they saw a case of primers in the back seat of my car (plain view), parked on US Capital grounds. They said it's considered a hazmat and I wasn't even allowed to drive through the 3rd St. Tunnel with that. They didn't do anything else though.

Hoover Dam has a similar policy that I had to be careful of when driving to Lost Wages for a job.

Once they did the bypass, that went away which was good since I bought quite a bit of powder in Las Vegas and brought it home due to the pricing at one of the gun shops there.

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Hoover Dam had a checkpoint for a little while before the bypass opened. It was kind of a joke, like the agriculture inspection stations when entering CA. But since that bypass opened, I've never gone over the Dam again. The traffic there is awful.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ammo is certainly not hazmat in the formal sense of the term. You need hazmat certificates and special additional shipping for powder and primers but not ammo. Do not confuse shipping company policy with law
When I moved from NY to AZ they wouldn’t take my ammo either, but never asked for gun serial numbers

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, it's all official and on July 7th, we're leaving. Much of the important logistical stuff is being handled by a relocation service agent through my wife's employer. They've contracted with two realty companies, and the first realtor came by the house last night to get a look and begin her appraisal. A second comes next week. We'll get to choose which one we want to work with, and we should have the report from yesterday's agent by Sunday. In short, we mainly have to worry about reducing the footprint of our stuff in the house as much as we can, and I'm going to take the opportunity to downsize as much as I can. It feels good.

We're shooting for listing the house by the weekend of Father's Day at the latest. The company is paying for us to take a scouting/house hunting trip, so we're going to fly out to Mesa/Gilbert next month and spend a week. Then off to Florida for an abbreviated family visit. Then we come back and finalize everything. I gave my notice at work today, and the company owner was sad to lose me, but happy for me all the same. As for the house... it's valued at twice what we paid for it, and that's on the low end. I'm keeping my expectations low, and my fingers crossed. Hopefully things stay at least reasonably stable until we can get out of Dodge.

They're going to move everything but my truck, and the ammo. However, they will pay for me to ship up to 250lbs of anything, and the lady specifically mentioned ammo. I just happen to work in the shipping department of my company. Handy. I'll have to look into what I can arrange.

Then July 7th (my wife keeps saying the 8th, but she's mistaken), we load into the RAM and head out. My route, tentatively is to take 90 to 82 to 84 to 15, then jump over on 20 to 89, then 17 on down. Basically southeast and hit Yakima, Pendleton, Boise, then south through Utah and Arizona and skip Hoover Dam. I know this will be a little slower than if I go through Nevada, but I'm ok with that. I read that the route through Nevada, while being faster, is basically a two lane through some of the hottest parts of the country, with good chance of getting stuck behind slow moving vehicles for long stretches. No thanks. Also, unless I'm very mistaken, I can have a loaded rifle in the car the whole rest of the route once I get to Idaho. Spiffy.

The stress has begun. What seemed like so far away when I first posted this thread seems like it's next week. We're excited and nervous, sad to leave behind the life we've made here. There's times I have nagging doubts about whether this is the right decision, but I think that's normal of any huge life change, and this will be that, and no question. My best friend is flying out in December for SAR West, which I think I'll join him at, and my other closest friend is moving to a little town west of Denver and talking about wanting to do a number of camping trips where we bring our families and meet halfway, so I'm eagerly anticipating those things. For all the things I'm going to miss, like a place to get decent Pho, I'm looking forward to something new, like actual legit Mexican food everywhere I go. It's a mixed bag, but overall, I'm excited for this next phase in life in a new place. It's all bonus time, and it's all an adventure.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the move!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just completed a move from Montana to Tucson. We lived in Montana for 57 years and retired 7 years ago. We sold our house of 19 years with all the furniture and bought into a 55 type community north of Tucson called Saddlebrooke. We bought a home complete with furniture so all we needed to move was our stuff. We rented a 26’ Penske truck and loaded and then unloaded it with the help of friends. We trailered our S2000 behind the Penske and drove 32 hours over 2 days at a cost of just under $1,000 for diesel. (Have more than 1 credit card). Then we flew home to get our SUV and pull a small Uhaul with some residual things.

The truck rental was $2,000 with the car trailer. (Thanks to a substantial veterans discount and a AAA discount). The total move, including rental fees, gas & diesel, moving boxes, 4 broken Fiestaware plates and travel expenses was about $4,000. That’s about 25% of the cost of a professional estimate. Sure, it was a pain but financially we’ll worth it.

That was 3 weeks ago. We till have some pictures to hang and a little organizing to do, but we’re almost there. 2 strong conservative votes for Arizona. Good luck with your move P220.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, I hope everything goes smoothly for you. I'll be going through Phoenix in late September (a tour ends there and I've 2 nephews in the area). Maybe could have a FTF.

flashguy

posted Hide Post
I expect to retire to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in about 4 years. Can anyone who has moved to Arizona speak to how tax friendly the state is? I have heard anecdotal information that Arizona does not tax Social Security. The same person said something about taxing pensions as well, but I did not catch all of what he said.

I have close family living in the area, and have been there many times, including in the middle of summer, so I am aware of the climate. I'm just trying to get a handle on what I am in for tax-wise.

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
I expect to retire to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in about 4 years. Can anyone who has moved to Arizona speak to how tax friendly the state is? I have heard anecdotal information that Arizona does not tax Social Security. The same person said something about taxing pensions as well, but I did not catch all of what he said.

I have close family living in the area, and have been there many times, including in the middle of summer, so I am aware of the climate. I'm just trying to get a handle on what I am in for tax-wise.

I've lived here a little over 18 years.

Arizona doesn't tax Social Security, they do tax pensions, but the tax rate isn't that bad at all as it's 2.59% to 4.50% for AGI of $163,632.00+ and there's a proposal to exempt 65+ residents from property tax that may or may not pass.

I pay around $1,650/year in Property taxes now, house is probably worth close to $600K so it's not too bad.