SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Airlines want a $50 billion bailout. Trump says it's not the Airlines fault
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Airlines want a $50 billion bailout. Trump says it's not the Airlines fault Login/Join 
posted
So once again, the Airlines want a bailout. They got one after 9/11 too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/1...ercent-backstop.html

Trump says the crisis is not the Airlines fault. I love the Trump, but the Airlines spread the virus to the United States.

This is pissing me off! I think $50 billion is a lot of money, enough to build a wall on the Southern Border, and then some.

Why do I have to pay for this? I don't fly, hell after October 1 they won't let me get on a damn airplane since I am not going to get a real ID driver's license until my normal renewal date.

Last fall, my wife booked a flight to Denver to attend her nephew's wedding. She showed up at the airport, where the winds were about twenty MPH, but the Airline cancelled the flight because of the approaching hurricane. Then they wouldn't refund her fare.

I also don't understand how TSA is constitutional.

If the Airlines are loosing money, they should raise fares and let the passengers pay for the service they use, not the rest of us.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We deserve the bailout this go around.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
We deserve the bailout this go around.

Absolutely. I would support it.

Of course, full disclosure, I fly a lot and like the product that I use.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30411 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
And then who's next? The hotel industry? The cruise lines? Uber?

Posts: 9054 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

Exactly. If a few airlines go belly up, someone will step in when the economy recovers. Air travel isn’t just going to disappear forever.

Enough of the scare tactics to get taxpayer money.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3972 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Didn't Trump say in the same breath that the airlines had been having a record year? Where is that cash?

Investors get pissed when a company like Apple sits on a pile of cash and does not pay it out in dividends. But you can bet Apple will not need a bailout.

Posts: 2310 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok, just Delta then. Wink

Kidding of course.

You guys are right obviously. The truth is that many of the big airlines will weather this and will be able to get through it without a bailout. They just want to get through it easier with free money.

The other smaller airlines probably not so much.

If commercial flight is severely disrupted though for the foreseeable future, that will certainly hold back the economy getting back up to speed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30411 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
In a "free market" the affected airlines would operate off of their monetary reserves or ask for bankruptcy protection. If they can't operate, then liquidate. Free to profit also means free to fail.

Posts: 4812 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
US ‘big 3’ well-positioned to survive possible coronavirus crisis shakeout, analysts say
Edward Russell

As the engines of global air travel slowly spin to a halt amid the spreading novel coronavirus pandemic, many are wondering what airlines will look like on the other side of the crisis.

The U.S. “big three” — American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines — have all announced broad capacity reductions, particularly to their long-haul international operations. American will operate just three long-haul international routes until at least May 6, a level of long-haul flying unseen by the airline since the late 1980s.

The COVID-19 crisis, which United CEO Oscar Munoz said Sunday is “getting worse,” will end at some point. At that time, the airline industry will begin to spool back up as travel demand warrants but it will, by most estimates, look different than it did before the pandemic.

Get Coronavirus travel updates. Stay on top of industry impacts, flight cancellations, and more.

“The collapse in air travel demand has the potential to materially reshape global aviation, meaningfully more than the events of 9/11,” J.P. Morgan analysts Jamie Baker and Mark Streeter wrote in a report Monday. “Like the virus itself, demand destruction will exact the greatest toll on the weak and infirm.”

While they do not name the “weak and infirm” in the industry, Baker and Streeter do expect Air Canada, American, Delta and United to emerge from the crisis stronger than they were before — particularly on routes across Atlantic.

“To the extent that [long-haul/low-cost] airlines and possibly others permanently exit the Atlantic, long-term international profitability at Air Canada, American, Delta, and United is expected to emerge higher than pre-crisis levels,” they said.

Related: Coronavirus crisis raises questions about the survival of already-struggling airlines

Norwegian Air, which said Monday it will suspend all flying to North America and slash capacity by 85%, is at the top of many industry watchers’ lists of potential airline casualties of COVID-19. Other smaller long-haul, low-cost names flying between Europe and North America include Condor, Edelweiss, French Bee and WestJet.

The sector also includes the likes of Eurowings, LEVEL and Rouge, which are all owned by larger legacy airline groups — Lufthansa, British Airways-parent International Airlines Group (IAG), and Air Canada, respectively.

Another batch of carriers to watch – brands ranging from Alitalia to Air Serbia – are ones that faced financial headwinds even before the pandemic.

A big asterisk on what the airline industry looks like post-coronavirus will be what government support is provided. European carriers are already calling for significant financial support, and Delta CEO Ed Bastian told employees on March 13 that the airline was talking to leaders in Washington about what “support they can provide to help us through this period.”

Related: Delta slashes capacity, parks up to 300 jets amid ‘unprecedented’ coronavirus impact

“We do believe that governments throughout the world will need to, and in the case of the U.S., will want to, step in,” said Baker and Streeter on the possibility of government support for airlines. However, they do not believe that U.S. airlines need the support, at least at this point.

U.S. carriers have spent the better part of the past decade rebuilding their balance sheets. This has included reducing debt levels, keeping cash on hand, and increasing the number of aircraft they own outright in the event they need to use the assets as collateral to raise funds.

Even American, which has more debt than any other U.S. carrier, appears to be at little risk — for now — due to its also higher cash balances and ample asset base to raise further funds.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/...oronavirus-shakeout/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
quote:

If any one should get a bailout, it should be restaurants and bars they are forcing to close.
No saying they should but it seems like it's always the big boys that get handouts, rest have to figure it out themselves

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I think that if anybody gets a bailout, it should be me.

The airlines have a lot of money. I just have a little.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30700 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I think that if anybody gets a bailout, it should be me.

The airlines have a lot of money. I just have a little.

I would support this.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've little sympathy for the airline industry. None, in fact.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The funny thing is, right before 9/11, Congress was talking about passing a Passenger's Bill of Rights for the airline industry.

Too many cases of people being stranded for hours in planes because of one reason or another and the airlines would not let people de-plane.

With all that said, the airline industry, like the auto industry, employs a lot of Americans. It's really bad for the economy, as well as your re-election prospects, when all those people go unemployed.

Also, don't forget that parking the airplanes lowers the demand for fuel which in turn impacts the fracking industry.

Want to know where the battleground states are this year? Follow the jobs.

Posts: 6625 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If they had to cut back like everybody else, who would the TSA fondle when they aren't stealing stuff from the luggage?

Why should I/we throw money to the wind for every crisis that happens upon anyone?

Should we send extra money to Disney because the theaters have only three people at the ticket window?

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Here is Blancolirio’s take on the situation. He is an American Airlines Pilot, currently off on medical reasons, who flew the 777 on international flights.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/D10kubUmwoU

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
That’s about $150 per every single person in the US

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That money will be used to buy back their own stock, like the bailouts in 2008.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F........ them. My business would never get help in tough times. Yep f........... them $50 billions times over

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I don’t think they should get a bailout. What about supermarkets? The corner coffee store?

Where do you start but more importantly where do you stop?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53203 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post