SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Funeral Behavior
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funeral Behavior Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
Most people do not know the difference between casual and being an unkempt slob.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Times are indeed changing. Some for the better, some for the worse. Guess I shouldn't care all that much. Let them wear what they please, it simplifies how I judge them.

OK, I'm retired. I swore I wasn't going to any more weddings. My wife had a different opinion, and mine doesn't count. I don't even want to attend my own funeral. Again, my feelings don't count. So yes, I've attended 2 weddings and who knows how many funerals. I now realize I just have to go. Guess that includes even my own. I haven't looked to see if I still own a suit. At least since the rod fell in the closet. I used to own 2 of them. Both dark enough to satisfy the prudes here on the forum. One was for a skinny me, the other for a more comfortable me.

I have no clue if the fat one will fit, and I don't care. I've worn it with the button undone. The reality is you don't have time to get fitted for a suit between finding out someone important to "us" has croaked and the funeral. I'm not 'poor' financially. But I'm also not wasteful, and I'm not going to buy a succession of suits just in case.

The custom of funerals has thankfully started to fall apart. I don't want my widow wasting money on one. I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy it. She may need that money some day. I know how I disliked going to them and now its my son's decision to go or not. Their wives may have a different opinion. My father didn't have a funeral. My mother is now 99.25 and going strong. She won't have one and is donating her body to science. Her choice. I doubt if any scientist would want my sorry chemical mess. I can't even donate blood due to its contamination. All legal by the way.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Dressing appropriately for special occasions seems to be a skill that is going extinct. While I don't think that a suit and tie is always required, dressing up from the daily casual wear acknowledges that the occasion is special.

I think it's beyond that. How many people when traveling or, dining out, actually put on a nice shirt/blouse? Nearly 10-years ago, with handful of couples we all went to Hawaii for a vacation. My g/f at the time and I, would would change before dinner, put on a clean polo, nice short, shoes, leather flips..you know, look the part. The first couple of nights, half the couples showed up like they just got back from the beach or were going to the stadium for a ballgame. By the last night, everyone got the hint and cleaned up nicely. The g/f's talked. Cool

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Back in the early '80s we had to fly to Germany as my father in law was in the hospital, very sick with cancer. Told my wife that if we wanted to see him alive again we had better saddle up and get over there. We did. First 5 or 6 days there I spent in the hospital with him. Massaging his legs, talking about old times, smuggling home cooked stuff in to him. (the staff knew it).

We got that phone call about 0400 that he had died. I called my brother in law who was supposed to handle the funeral. Fat chance. He went back to bed and we didn't see him until after the funeral.

Father in law was a high ranking official in the German Forest Service, so we had to have an official funeral. I ended up buying a suit so I could do what my brother in law was supposed to do. Not that I would not have bought a suit anyway, but that situation with BIL made it mandatory, and on very short notice.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
I've been noticing that too, funerals and weddings.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan03833:

And AIR TRAVEL! Folks used to somewhat dress up to travel by air. Now it's like going to Wal-Mart. If they don't stink it's a win. Much less not in sweats or pajamas.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
When my mom passed in 1996 some douche canoe came to the visitation wearing White Short Shorts.

This guy must have just got a divorce and was prowling for a lady or two from his youth and thought shorts were the key.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:

And AIR TRAVEL! Folks used to somewhat dress up to travel by air. Now it's like going to Wal-Mart. If they don't stink it's a win. Much less not in sweats or pajamas.

Don't even get me started on Air Travel.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
IMO the well-dressed gentleman must always have to hand at least three suits:

• A "neutral" two-piece business suit (mine is a gray suit I refer to as my "IBM suit" Smile)
  • A three-piece suit suitable for weddings (mine is a blue pinstripe)
  • A black three-piece suit for funerals

But I was brought up in a different place and time. A more civilized place and time, it seems.

I have seen men come to funerals in black or gray slacks, a black shirt, and tie. IMO that is the minimum acceptable attire for men at a funeral.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Getting to the point where a sign saying " Shirts and Shoes " required. It's a sad state of affairs. Sorry for the passing of your cousin. John.

Posts: 2896 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

...any and all travel; domestic, international, even cruises.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
As you get older you tend to go to funerals more frequently and I have been to a lot. It seems the majority of the patrons dress and conduct themselves per the social status of the deceased.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Pall bearers? We just buried my cousin about three weeks ago. I was one of two that had a suit on. I know suits can be expensive and not everyone can afford them, but please at least have some decent clothes for events like this.

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Not everyone going to a funeral needs to dress head to toe in black. Just something conservative and somewhat dressy. A grey sport coat with black slacks and open neck is fine in my book unless you're immediate family. Other such combos okay too. No plaid sports coat like you're on your way to Churchill Downs for the Derby. No sweat pants, no yoga pants for the ladies, no tee shirts or tank tops.

It bothers me we need to explain this to people.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I don’t get behavior like that. I wear a suit to any funeral even if I am not the one who knew them. I totally understand if someone doesn’t have a suit, but dresses up.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8740 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
As you get older you tend to go to funerals more frequently and I have been to a lot. It seems the majority of the patrons dress and conduct themselves per the social status of the deceased.

^^^^^
I went to the funeral of a retired judge a few years ago. I had rented office space from him when I was a young attorney and during that time became friends with the judge and his youngest son. The judge was the consummate gentleman and his wife was very proper and reserved. When he died, I was at the funeral in a dark suit, white shirt and conservative tie as was his youngest son. The oldest son? Ratty jeans and a Harley Davidson t-shirt. I can tell you for a fact the judge had never owned let alone ridden on a Harley but there was one of his sons acting like he was going to McDonalds.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

...any and all travel; domestic, international, even cruises.
Please start a new thread. This about dressing appropriately for an event (ie funeral) you’re supposed to be there to show respect. Dressing to fly is different, dressing for a cruise is different, dressing to dine out is different, dressing for school is different.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
....It seems the majority of the patrons dress and conduct themselves per the social status of the deceased.

What I observe around here is the majority of patrons paying their respects dress as they do "in their own social status". I now live in the country and when my 80 year old neighbor passed last year I somewhat expected this so I arrived at the funeral dressed down in just a sport coat and no tie. Her immediate relatives, the ones basically hosting the funeral, were somewhat well dressed in regular pants and button down shirts, one had a sport coat. The visitors were clothed in everything from khakis to blue jeans to camouflage hunting garb.
Somehow I found it really depressing that so many friends attending her funeral dressed for it no differently than they would to go to Dollar General.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Minimum is a dress shirt, slacks,tie, usually though a suit.

Exception, several times I have attended a biker funeral. Jeans, dress shirt either navy blue, black or a deep purple, also usually attend riding if weather permits.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
has been almost 15yrs since wearing a suit for wedding or funeral.... new black jeans/long sleeve button down white shirt/bolo tie/clean black leather vest---------- once stood honor guard for a homeless veteran (military honors) which was put on hold for almost 3 months because the family could not/or/would not pay the funeral home for services...our veteran group stepped foward to be pallbearers as family didn"t.... family arrived at grave site in about 20 (high end high dollars cars and suv"s) and all were dressed in their sunday best church clothes... go figure........ drill sgt.

Posts: 2082 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post