SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Funeral Behavior
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funeral Behavior Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
My 31 year old cousin once removed died in a car accident last week and I flew into the Upper Midwest for the funeral. The ONLY people wearing a suit at the funeral were her father (my cousin), the pastor, and myself. There was zero men wearing sport coats or ties. Some women wore modest black dresses.

My beef was the white trash dressing like they were going to the Dollar Store (not even fancy enough dressed for Walmart). I shit you not, people showed up wearing light gray sweat pants, wild colored yoga pants, blue jeans. Even if you're going to dress casual at least wear black. I suspect the only reason they weren't wearing fucking flip flops was because there was snow on the ground and it was one of the coldest days so far this winter.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the "New Normal" - People of Walmart - of the world we live in today where respect does not exist and old common sense has been flushed down the toilet.

You should have been at my FIL's funeral. My worthless POS BIL showed up drunk/stoned and tried to pass it off like it was a normal day. This moron hasn't held a JOB in decades and is in mid mid 50s!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3648 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Through my work I've seen several pictures of people at a funeral. There have been at least two locally where not all the men wore shirts. It's not that terribly unusual to see sweats and the like.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
There have been at least two locally where not all the men wore shirts

Were they Chippendale dancers or construction workers, must have been interesting to have half dressed men in attendance!

As to the OP....

Living in FL I've been to a few, since it's a casual dress environment, and in the summer hot as heck, suits and coats are not required, but nice clothes are expected, wouldn't be all that surprised if someone showed up in shorts.

Dress codes have become lax however we agree on what is considered proper decorum for funerals..

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have a funeral where the attendees were like that.
Seems like a waste of money. Maybe those people came expecting free beer.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
My step-grandmother died a few years ago and my step-brother actually showed up at the funeral (his own grandmother) in June in Indiana wearing flip-flops, shorts and a worn-out polo shirt. When he was younger he always wore the best clothes, but now he is white trash.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Trust me the above is the polite, edited version about white trash behavior.

On the other hand, there was amazing acts of kindness too. Two people besides myself flew cross country to be there for my cousin. People set aside current and past grievances and were there to support my cousin.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Shameful. Absolutely shameful.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand that we've moved past the age of suits and many people don't even own one. Seriously though, a pair of decent pants and a dress shirt to have available for weddings and funerals shouldn't break the bank.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
More to the point, in my opinion, is how did YOU dress?

If you dressed appropriately and according to the occasion, then you showed proper respect, and came away the better person.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've sure noticed the "casual" dress at funerals in the last few years. Some, thankfully not all, look like they just came from a "People of Walmart" photo shoot.

NRA Life

Posts: 1577 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I do not own a serviceable suit, and don't plan to buy one. For funerals I wear a long-sleeved button collared shirt and black trousers. I feel that is sufficiently respectful for the occasion. If you find that objectional, so be it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I do not own a serviceable suit, and don't plan to buy one. For funerals I wear a long-sleeved button collared shirt and black trousers. I feel that is sufficiently respectful for the occasion. If you find that objectional, so be it.

flashguy

I don't find anything objectionable about that. That type of dress would be appropriate for most occasions I would think.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I no longer own any suits, either, but I dress respectfully for funerals. Usually a back dress shirt and black slack My 2nd cousin, on the other hand, wore a Hawaii shirt to my grandmother's funeral. Of course, he owns an all male boarding house painted literally lavender, so I have always questioned his taste.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
My Mother bought me several nice Hawaiian short sleeve shirts. She never saw me in a suit of any kind since our wedding decades earlier.

When she died a few years ago, I wore one of those shirts because she gave it to me. I wore a new pair of pressed WRANGLER jeans and shined black TONY LAMA boots. This is my typical attire. The funeral was in the middle of an AZ summer with temperatures well over 110 degrees that day.

She wouldn't have recognized me dressed in any other manner. And she wouldn't have complained that people wore what they were comfortable wearing.

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've seen funerals with folks dribbling basketballs while in line to enter the funeral home. Dressed in shorts, and a sleeveless colored shirt.

At the same funeral someone spilled beer on the deceased as some kind of black/gang gesture?

Shorts, PAJAMAS, sweats, yoga pants (usually worn by a woman who should NOT be in them) and flip flops seem to be the norm anymore for much of the population.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen it at the last few funerals I have been too.

I used to be strictly dress pants, dress shirts, suits etc.. for funerals, weddings etc.. but i am learning that ideology is a thing of the past. Plus I have mellowed my thinking/beliefs.

I have no problem with jeans but at least make sure they do not have holes in them and at least a golf shirt or dress shirt.

I have never seen my father in a suit either in person or in a picture. About the closest thing to a suit I have seen my father in was his Class A uniform from the Army.

Everyone in my family will wear Dockers, dress pants and dress shirts.

Heck when I die, I will be happy if anyone shows up.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
On New Years Eve, I bought a new navy blazer and grey slacks from Brooks Brothers, 60% off sale. My other navy blazer was too 90s. But I also own two suits, one slimmer cut, the other baggy, to cover the bases.

I can understand guys not owning suits, since it is basically almost a lost fashion. But the atrocious clothing choices on airplanes, nice restaurants, and yes weddings and funerals, is shameful. For Christ's sake, at least wear business casual at a funeral.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17153 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
More to the point, in my opinion, is how did YOU dress?

If you dressed appropriately and according to the occasion, then you showed proper respect, and came away the better person.
Confused It’s right there in the OP - a suit and tie

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

I don't find anything objectionable about that. That type of dress would be appropriate for most occasions I would think.
Nor do I and that’s why I didn’t rant about it.