SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Funeral Behavior
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funeral Behavior Login/Join 
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Jacket & Tie for Men, Period! Women on the other have a lot more options to dress respectfully. Just wear something darker and not too flashy/gaudy. And I don't buy ANY justification that it's too hot!

Seriously, ALL Funeral Homes are air conditioned by necessity, as are the cars you'd travel in to get there! And come on, how much time would you REALLY spend outside in the heat anyway. You're there to pay your respects to someone who's passed away, and to be there to support the family and friends of the departed in their time of grief....Suck it up and show some respect!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8910 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Not surprising.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
More to the point, in my opinion, is how did YOU dress?

If you dressed appropriately and according to the occasion, then you showed proper respect, and came away the better person.
Confused It’s right there in the OP - a suit and tie

Yes. My point was that one's own self-respect is what counts.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
There are two times you will catch me in a tie. Weddings & funerals. I do not own a suit.
I will wear the best I have to either occasion out of respect.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Jacket and tie for men. Same goes for weddings, first communions, baptisms, etc. If you can't afford it, then at least a WHITE button down with tie and dark trousers. Colored shirts never look good, no matter what the Men's Warehouse guy told you.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to a funeral in Houston for an uncle two years ago. Those who traveled, wore ties, sport coat, slacks and dress shoes. Weather was warming up and getting thick so, suits were a bit much...never understood Texans wearing suits in the Summer Roll Eyes The locals who attended: t-shirts, jeans, athletic shoes, ball caps, unshaven...real classy. Definitely, People of WalMart.

There's two types of people in the world: those who dress appropriately and those who just put clothes on.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
At least they came to the funeral.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least dress with a collared shirt and pants. It’s respectful. Cripes. You should see what people wear to court appearances!!! Not too long ago the judge would have kicked your ass up around your ears, then the bailiff, then the court reporter, and then most people in the gallery. Not anymore. Absolutely atrocious!!! I got a must appear citation when I was in high school. Parents made sure I was in a shirt and tie. It showed respect for the courts and I supposed, to our society. It also doesn’t hurt to present yourself in front of the judge not looking like a pile.

Even church, t shirts? Seriously? Even the priest made a comment during a sermon on how we have become a very “casual”society. Growing up it was shirt and tie mandatory.

Posts: 4063 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Suit and tie unless it's for a EMS funeral and then it was uniform/flightsuit.

If I didn't own a suit, it would just be whatever I owned that was the best.

As long as you look like you made an effort to look like you give a damn what the family thinks of you, I think it's fine. Funerals are for comforting the family.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Dressing appropriately for special occasions seems to be a skill that is going extinct. While I don't think that a suit and tie is always required, dressing up from the daily casual wear acknowledges that the occasion is special.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always have on a suit , however a tie is hit or miss. Yes I have noticed some attire is lacking.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Dressing appropriately for special occasions seems to be a skill that is going extinct. While I don't think that a suit and tie is always required, dressing up from the daily casual wear acknowledges that the occasion is special.

QFT. I own a tuxedo, and there are two occasions every year where it's appropriate to wear. I also have a couple of suits and sports coats, even though they aren't needed for work.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I understand that we've moved past the age of suits and many people don't even own one. Seriously though, a pair of decent pants and a dress shirt to have available for weddings and funerals shouldn't break the bank.

Very much agree. To visitations, not funerals, I often just wear black pants, black shoes, white or light color button down dress shirt, depending on season, long or shortsleeved.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very good friends sister passed very suddenly from cancer after it was detected she wasn’t even 40. We went to the memorial to show support for him and his parents who I had known for 25 years. I wore dark slacks and a shirt and tie and a dark blue blazer. Wife wore a black (not a cocktail) dress. The deceased’s husband showed up in a ball cap and t shirt. And the very closest of her friends were dressed similarly in attire not suitable for a funeral/ memorial. It was very odd.

Posts: 4775 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Had a similar experience at my parent's memorial. What bugged me the most was that it was held at their former church, and some of the congregation (that had been family friends for YEARS) looked like they were in a hurry to get to the beach.

You may think your familiarity with them in life gives you a pass, but it don't, not with me.

I was in a three piece suit and tie. An honest to God tie that had a knot my father taught me when I was a wee lad.

That last paragraph probably says a lot, and sums up most of the differences we see in folks now in my opinion.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a dark sport coat, dress shirt and dark slacks for funerals. Sometimes a tie. I have no problem with a neat polo shirt or dress shirt with nice jeans or slacks either.
Anything else is tacky and shows no respect.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is disgraceful. I have seen it at weddings, too.

When did "that" segment of society decide that weddings and funerals didn't merit wearing a jacket, or at least a tie? I know not everyone will wear Armani or Hickey Freeman, but at least break out your ill-fitting 20 year old suit from Sears.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
This thread is a good reminder for me to go buy a new coat and pants that actually fit. I added enough lbs. over the past couple years, none of my dress type clothes fit anymore.....

Rare occasion I need to dress it up a bit, but like many others here, I would be embarrassed to show up to a funeral in my everyday attire. NO way I'd be wearing a ball cap to a funeral, wedding, etc. Just my opinion. Others can do as they choose....

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Companies like Joseph A Banks puts suits on sale or around $100. They are decent suits that will last for a hundred funerals (including your own), weddings and the like. This is about the cost of a dinner and drinks for two. I don’t care how you dress but I’ll be the guy in a pressed white shirt, red tie and suit.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4227 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Then it shouldn't surprise that I have had students show up in flannel pajama pants, t shirts, halter tops, fuzzy slippers, and thong underwear pulled out of the top of shorts, and flip flops, among other wear. They must have good examples at home.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post