SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Simplify, then add lightness - New Project Pg 6
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simplify, then add lightness - New Project Pg 6 Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
On to a new no start problem.
Car started almost immediately yesterday, happily.
Went to run an errand today & just get a click.

Noticed one of the posts on the ign solenoid was loose, tightened it up, still just a click...
Got it to crank once, in the middle of trying, then nothing.

Got a 2nd set of eyes/hands on it yesterday. My dad was down for Easter dinner & we got out to take a look at it.
Bad starter solenoid.
It clicks with the key, but isn't passing power to the starter.

Hope to get a replacement this week & get her back to running again.

Then back to planning the fuel pump/crankcase vent project.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15730 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
New solenoid installed & she's back to life.
Now back to the prior project of fuel supply & oil leak resolutions.

Posts: 15730 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Buddy got a new [to him, 2020] C8.
Had to take the Midget to dance class with my middle daughter & get a shot together

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Is that OEM steering wheel? That thing is YUUUGE!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12553 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Is that OEM steering wheel? That thing is YUUUGE!

Big Grin
Yup, 15in IIRC.
Plan is to put in a 13in, once I get the mechanicals sorted & it's more consistently drivable.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ordered & received an electric fuel pump for the Midget. Went with a Facet solid state, from recommendations on the MG forum.
Now to find the time to get it installed. Really it alleviates the vapor lock situation that's keeping me from putting some miles on the car.

Should then be able to remove the stock mechanical pump & put a blockoff plate there [supposed to be the same as a SBC V8]. Plate will get drilled & a 90* fitting installed & run up to a mini-K&N which hopefully rids the small oil leak after driving.
Consensus is, a non-SU/ZS equipped car doesn't pull enough vacuum from the system & oil pushes out due to increased crankcase pressure. Mine has a downdraft Weber & just the small valve cover vent to the air filter base. Seems the SU/ZS pull actual vacuum.

Worst case, if the oil leak persists. It'll be a pull the engine & replace the gaskets all around [except probably the head gasket].

Once those to issues are confirmed resolved, she'll start racking up the mileage.