SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Simplify, then add lightness - New Project Pg 6
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simplify, then add lightness - New Project Pg 6 Login/Join 
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
For that price I couldn't imagine not getting the highest HP version. You are building a race car Smile

Posts: 1799 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
As tempting as the 6-port MSP is, it's a lot more work to run via a standalone ECU.

200hp in a 12-1500lb car should be a hoot. The extra complexity for another 40hp is tough to justify.
The 9k RPM redline on the 6-port MSP is what makes me really want one.

All comes down to what's available when I'm ready to pick one up.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15750 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A non-update update.

Listed the short block on CL. Figuring whatever I would have to pour into it to get it maybe running, wouldn't be too far off buying a running replacement.

Already got 1 hit, 50/50 if it's a bot/scammer. Decent readable grammar, but very brief.
CL listing had a few options & his response was "I want to but it".
But also asked if I live near downtown, which the listing clearly indicates I'm in far N Houston.

We'll see if it goes anywhere.

Proceeds will go toward a running Renesis.

Posts: 15750 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Probably a smart move, with parts issues, and the amount of work to get it running, good luck on selling it, list it on some rotary boards, might be someone looking for ne.

Posts: 23962 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Probably a smart move, with parts issues, and the amount of work to get it running, good luck on selling it, list it on some rotary boards, might be someone looking for ne.

That's my next step, if nothing comes of the CL listing. Not sure I want to look into shipping it. It's around 200-250lbs assembled. Would much prefer a local/pick-up sale.

Though I think about the classifieds here & joining some rotary specific boards just to sell what I have.
But, I'd likely stick around there, since this old keg is going to be replaced with a newer model.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
have you done anything else, last I recall there were welds that were needing completed, rust coating the frame, and fifty eleven hundred other things that needed done, as with any project

Posts: 23962 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It's been pretty idle since the last update.
Waiting on my dad to get his MIG fixed so I can haul the chassis up there.

I do have a bit I can work on, since I bought a grinder. Need to cut off part of the RR suspension where the prev owner was considering a different approach.
Also likely need to cut out the 'crossmember' under the engine as I probably won't pursue a dry sump setup & will need a bit more vertical clearance for the oil pan on the Renesis.

Read a smart comment on the Locost forum that a guy marked all the welds that needed finishing with a sticker (and color coded for flat/vertical/etc). Something I could work on prior to moving it for welding.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Have a potential buyer lined up on the engine.
After a half dozen or so scam/spam emails, got one that reads legitimate today.

Race shop in Florida, searching it reveals an owner matching the name that emailed me & a few profiles on FB/LinkedIn/etc.

Not getting my hopes too high on it, but says he has a truck en route to CA & could have it picked up along the way.

If it goes through, it'll cover about 30-40% of a Renesis.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Still a maybe on the above buyer, but got a bite on a local buyer that might take the whole engine pkg (short block, dry sump bits) & would recoup almost 80% of my total investment so far.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Still a maybe on the above buyer, but got a bite on a local buyer that might take the whole engine pkg (short block, dry sump bits) & would recoup almost 80% of my total investment so far.

Engine sold!
Recouped about 40% of my initial investment.
Now to see if I can move the dry sump bits & I might net enough to pick up a good Renesis or put it toward getting the chassis finished.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44253 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Rotus is getting a new home!
We're taking advantage of the insane real estate market & listing our house on Friday.
We have an accepted offer on a place about 30 min away that's on 1.5 acre, with a decent sized (20x30 IIRC) 'shop' (metal building on a slab)

Close should be mid-May & move date in early June, after school ends.

The Rotus' new home:
Will need to run power to it, but it should be big enough to hold the project, all my garage stuff & a ZT mower.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome. Congratulations!

(I miss my shop.)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Fingers crossed, it's pretty much all down to the appraisal coming back favorable for us.

Our agent thinks we'll have our house sold by Monday.

I'll be able to get my DD back in garage & have room for everything else.

SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congrats on the future home!

I grew up with our family always having a garage/shop. Since moving to CO, I have never had one (odd in CO, a lot of homes have no garages).

After building our home, I am now working on a little shed, mostly to house all our off grid solar equipment, and have carved out a little corner for "electrical projects." At least it will be a place I can have my toolbox, a little bench with a vice, and some power from an outlet. Oh how I wish I had a garage. Very envious. Smile

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4945 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Nice!!! Where is that...New Waverly?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Magnolia, just barely in Montgomery County, N of Tomball.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Rotus was listed for sale today.
We're locked in on a new house, unfortunately one without a garage.
It does have a small shed in the back, big enough to store it, but not enough room to work on it. Also the doors are too narrow to be able to move it out with the wheels on.

Best case, 1.5-2 years before I can build a small shop, and that's after we have a pool put in.

If it sells, possible replacements:
ND2 Miata
Another Lotus/Caterham (maybe buy a 'real' kit & build it)
Another motorcycle:
Buy my father-in-law's Indian
A newer Triumph Speed Twin.
If I can find a way to get it to Houston [or possibly Pensacola] V-Tail's BMW, if he still has it. Full restore project, but something that would be fun to work on & I'd have room to work on/store.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Might have a buyer lined up on the Rotus.

He's working on the logistics of getting it from Houston to Minnesota.

Sad to see it go, but just don't want to see it sit & sit, and maybe get into worse shape before I can get back to work on it.

Thought I'd found the perfect Miata last week, relatively rare-ish trim, limited production. Had <50k on it & was listed under $10k.
Browsing the photos, and saw the abomination that is the AT shifter sticking out of the console Frown

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Magnolia, just barely in Montgomery County, N of Tomball.

Following us further out huh? Wink

Posts: 11395 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post