SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Everyone's SitRep?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everyone's SitRep? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
with five teenagers at home, occasionally there is a little bit of a tussle. Outside of that, we are doing well. I will say XBox Live has been a game changer (pun intended) for the boys and mom and dad.

I”m eating better because I’m not going out for lunch nor are we eating out for dinner. I’ll bet I’ve lost a pound or two as a result.

Posts: 12514 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm LE, so "essential" or "expendible" (all a matter of perspective), and I'm still working the night shift. Call volume is way down, with an uptick in domestics and overdoses. We are at 16 confirmed cases in our county (pop about 70k) with one death...but numbers are still going up. Local health guru says we probably still have 5-7 more weeks till we peak here. If the weather gets nice enough that people start going outside and it hits the trailer parks, it's gonna get real bad real fast.

Policies at work change at least weekly on what they want us to do, not do, and how we should do it. Admin is afraid we'll get each other sick, so none of us on shift are allowed to be near each other except on calls. The office types (prosecutors office, HR, town hall) are afraid we'll get them sick, so we're not even allowed in their part of the building. We now have to wear masks for any public contact (disposable N95s), which is a PITA, and since we don't have many we're reusing them. If we dispose of one, we have to do paperwork to document why.

A lot of training that I was really looking forward to has been cancelled. OT is pretty much all gone since it was mostly school based, and schools are all closed, so I'm losing about 1/3 of my usual income, but at least I get more time at home. That may change, too, if we start having guys get sick, but thankfully we've not had that yet. Right now I'm happy to at least be working and bringing home a paycheck.

I just found out my cousin who is a nurse in Pittsburgh tested positive following an at-work exposure. Apparently the hospital admin tried to screw her over initially because she's only been there 6 months, but her supervisor went to bat for her so she's home with pay. She's a single mom with two kids, and typically her mom and dad (my aunt and uncle) help with them, but they are both in their late 60s, so my cousin won't let them come over because she doesn't want them catching it. I'm wishing we were closer right now so we could help her out...praying she gets a mild dose.

I have good days and bad days with this thing. Good days I tell myself it's just a cold and when I get it I'll get a couple of free weeks off work to sit home and browse sigforum. Bad days I start worrying that I'm going to bring it home and get my wife or one (or all) of my kids seriously sick or dead.

In the lighter side, having the kids home has been great. I'm loving not running all over creation to school and other functions all the time, and we've been doing e-learning, playing games, going for walks and bike rides as a family, and I've been taking the kids fishing and shooting. If anything good comes from this for us it'll be a renewed focus on what's really important, and valuing time together as a family.

Posts: 8855 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Wife works from home, all well there. I'm retired and working in the garden, cutting firewood to stock for my wood ministry and doing spring chores around the place. Daughter is visiting from Statesboro for a while since here store is closed right now. All things considered we are blessed.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3818 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
We've been good, our company is performing critical services (cellular for all the carriers) so we are doing well job wise and have been working from home.

My guys have been in the field doing their jobs so I am heading out to be with them....hate being stuck at home but the misses and my bosses called me stupid ( nicely) for wanting to be out there.....I don't think its a huge deal is you are careful.

So driving from DFW to Indy Monday....I was on the road on 9/11 and it was surreal....wonder how it will be this time.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Been snowbirding in Florida a little longer than we planned on, but we are doing well in the motorhome, have all that we need. Glad that we are in a semi rural area south of Lake Placid FL.

Getting anxious to return home when it is safer to do so.

Posts: 13700 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the inquiry Dave. We are at home as well,as I have medical issues the Corona likes. Miss seeing my immunodeficient Grandson but we talk and Skype.
Fla. Boy your reference to Shinrin-Yoku made me look it up. This past week I was telling my stressed wife she needed to go outside in nature as it always made me more at ease even if just doing a walk in the back yard. Forrest walking is my favorite thing to do but I usually drag a camera along. I'm going to post a little intro so others might take some time to mentally "refresh" It's pretty much the same feeling I get after a good few hrs on the MC when just me and the road. Which come to think, is the answer to why I ride when able)

Posts: 4418 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still going to work, being deemed essential in the chemical industry. Pretty much staying locked in my office unless I need the scanner or copier, doing as much as I can over the phone from the office or via virtual meetings, but am available for troubleshooting in the field.

We've been able to find most of the items we need to continue life as usual. TP is still pretty scarce, but most other things are available.

Really getting tired of Governor Whitmer and her ever expanding decrees. Now one is unable to procure gardening supplies and a variety of other items from larger stores. I don't see the ability to buy these items adding significantly to the risk of store personnel or other patrons to acquire these in a dedicated shipping trip, or grabbing these things when already at the store for other items. It's going to result in more contamination opportunities when people have to hit multiple stores to get what they're after.

People are now also unable to go between their personally owned residences. I suspect it's not going to be long until a significant number of people start ignoring this order.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: the_sandman_454,

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, for the most part good. I'm a school bus driver and I go to work a couple days a week to do food delivery, either lunch or Blessings in a Backpack on Fridays.

I get my Guaranteed hourly/weekly pay, but in all reality that's at least half or sometimes almost a third of what I really make. I do a lot of extra/field trips so a lot of overtime. This time of school year, tis the season for field trips, I make a ton of money this time of year, which helps out during the summer. Right now my finances are good, but I do worry about that in the future.

I'm not use to not going/doing. I'm use to 8 to 19 hour days 6 days a week. This is strange!

Other than the money worries, I'm fine. I'm kind of a introvert, so being at home with my dog doing my own thing isn't a big deal.

I take my pup out for a car ride a couple times a week, she loves to go bye bye. It's been nice weather so we jump into the WRX, turn on some good tunes take the back roads with the windows down as and enjoy the sun. She loves it, and I enjoy driving so it's a good day.

Been doing a lot of cooking. Trying to get caught up on house/yard work/projects and messing around with the car.

ARman

Posts: 3167 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Dave, I hope you and everyone are well and happy. I am on that almost 10% fatality list three different times. I am cautious and optimistic. I learned in sports and in life to pounce on opportunities so we supplied up at the very beginning. I am an outgoing person but in working from home I have found peace with my inner hermit. I truly believe that this will be remembered a special time in our lives and that this will make us better if we let it.

Posts: 1090 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Things are good here. I have a pest control business so we are able to work. Supply has been decent but thanks to years of prepping I don't feel any fear or pressure. Trying to find fun things every night to keep up the morale with the wife and two daughters. So far so good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5924 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Zero changes. Driving to and from work is actually easier.

Now the next few weeks may hold some serious change.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5190 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The one crappy aspect is that the wife is watching more than her fair share of Hallmark Channel movies.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16843 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Completely retired so no work to be affected, even volunteer work—-as I’m in high risk group by age and maybe my bladder Ca.
Well fixed for food supplies, TP, disinfectant wipes; re-using same mask on weekly store trips; nitrile gloves are good.
Eating very well—last night had SigForum ribeye in a skillet—yum. RIP JAllen.
Wife bakes whole wheat bread: we have 100# of hard red winter wheat, 25 # of rice, 25# of lentils. 2-lb. package of Star yeast arrived today so we’re set for bread. So much for low-carb diet.
Wife also makes great home-made soups.
I asked her “When do we start feeling deprived?”

Son-in-law here in SD is still working at critical plant producing medical-research-related equipment; he’s production manager so has to go in to work. He’s our weak link as far as exposure is concerned.
His wife and our granddaughter doing well; but they’ve put us in isolation so it’s a daily Skype with granddaughter. Just got some puppets to liven that up.

Son and daughter-in-law in DC are working from home. She’s in FDA, he’s at a pharm company; had a good talk today about stats.

Younger son still in Texas, holed up in a small town in a condo.

Sister in nor Cal doing fine (Hi, sis!).

I feel very bad for everyone in service sector and gig economy, etc. who have been laid off.
Let’s get this economy moving again!

Posts: 18191 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I work for a city and I'm deemed essential to keep the facility open as part of a skeleton crew so I work Monday thru Thursday 10 hour days. The remaining days of the week I'm sheltering in place and only going out for food. Watching a lot of tv, playing catch with my pup, and doing minor projects around the house.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1910 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
My wife and daughter have autoimmune diseases, and their treatment is a medication that lowers their immune response. If this gets in my house it could be bad. So far so good, I only go out for groceries once a week. Bourbon and cigar stock is dwindling, but still have enough for months of shelter in place.

My wife cut my hair with clippers and guards I look like a neo-nazi skin head but it will grow back.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
SNAFU here, as well. My wife and I are both essential and I'm pretty much a hermit anyway.

My wife and daughter took supplies to the in-laws in the next county over tonight and my daughter's little Boston got away and was hit by a car. They sped her back over here and she was in surgery just a few hours ago. The doc said if she makes it through the night, she has a good chance. I keep saying I'll swear off animals one day. It's just too damn hard.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the pup

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:...doc said if she makes it through the night, she has a good chance. ....

Prayers up for the little Boston Butt. Frown

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44082 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I'm working. I love to be "working from home" but they won't let me, I've asked.

My girlfriend is fucked. She has had her salon closed for a month (she owns it, and rents her building). The two girls who rent space from her have stopped paying. There is zero money coming in. Rent is still due, utilities are still due, all her personal bills are still due.

The unemployment she was promised would be available is not.

The "small business loans" they promised would be available are not.

Seeing as she pays taxes by check, as opposed to gets a direct deposit refund, she won't get her "stimulus" check for a few months.

She's pretty much screwed.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am retired so yard work/improvement as usual for me. My wife had to cancel a cruise in May she and her sister were going on. Also our university cruise in Nov is no longer. My son is now working from home and DIL (nurse) is on 12hr shifts, oldest GD is home from College and youngest is home from HS. Both doing courses from home.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1452 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post