SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter starts USNA. (Updated title) Plebe summer done. Update page 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter starts USNA. (Updated title) Plebe summer done. Update page 5 Login/Join 
posted
So proud of her. The only person in the state of Oregon who’s letter includes all 4

West Point has been in contact with her numerous times

https://www.lagrandeobserver.c...df-b714896bacd8.html

LA GRANDE — The news La Grande High School senior Ava Palmer recently received from the office of Oregon Congressman Cliff Bentz, R-Ontario, was four times better than what she thought possible.

Bentz announced he is nominating Palmer for acceptance into four United States service academies — the United States Naval Academy, the United States Air Force Academy, the United States Military Academy and the United States Merchant Marine Academy.

“I thought you were allowed only one,” Palmer said. “I started dancing around the house because I was so excited.”

Palmer is one of only 15 students in Oregon nominated by Bentz for service academy appointments in Oregon’s Second Congressional District and the only student from the Union, Wallowa and Baker county area. Palmer is among just five students nominated for multiple academies and the only one nominated for as many as four.

“I am honored to nominate these outstanding young Oregonians to America’s service academies,” Bentz said in a press release. “Years of hard work, dedication and commitment to character have earned these future leaders these much-deserved nominations.”

Palmer said her first choice among the academes she has been nominated for is the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. Palmer said she hopes to someday become a Naval fighter pilot, something she’s wanted to do since watching the Navy’s Blue Angels flying while she was living in Pensacola, Florida.

“I was so impressed with their discipline of motion and their bravery they displayed by flying so close together,” she said.

All of the 15 students Bentz nominated were recommended to him by his Service Academy Nomination Board, one composed of retired and active duty military officers. The board made its recommendations to Bentz based in part on the students’ academic performance, extracurricular involvement and character.

Palmer said she was anxious while being interviewed by members of Bentz’s Service Academy Board.

“I was a nervous wreck because I have such great respect for them and I so admire their dedication,” she said.

Serving on Bentz’s Service Academy Nomination Board include Retired U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Paula Brown; Retired U.S. Air Force Col. Jeff Smith; Retired U.S. Marine Corps Lt. Rich Halsted; Retired Oregon Army National Guard Lt. Col. Kirk Mickelsen; and Retired U.S. Coast Guard Chief Warrant Officer 4 Darren Root.

The nomination board also based its recommendations on the basis of essays the students submitted about themselves. Palmer wrote in her essay about the Finnish concept of “sisu” and how she has used it to overcome difficult situations.

“Sisu is often explained as the ability to face adversity to succeed, to never say die with courage, with resoluteness,” Palmer wrote in her essay.

She wrote that she learned about sisu from her step-grandfather David Bolka, who Palmer said rose from a small iron ore town in northern Minnesota to become a Naval captain and the first director of the Homeland Security Advanced Research Projects Agency.

Palmer is a member of the La Grande High School’s National Honor Society chapter, a member of the swim team and captain of the tennis team. She serves as vice president of its Future Business Leaders of America chapter and is her school’s senior class representative.

She also works as a lifeguard at Veterans’ Memorial Pool and is a member of the ROTC program at Eastern Oregon University. She participates in physical training workouts and takes military science classes at Eastern as a member of ROTC.

Palmer is the daughter of Tara Palmer, a family nurse practitioner at Grande Ronde Hospital’s Regional Medical Clinic. She is a veteran who served in the U.S. Coast Guard for eight years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snwghst,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6290 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Damned impressive!

(If she gets into USNA, let me know and I'll buy you a beer or two while you're out here dropping her off for plebe summer.)

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16310 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Which branch remain the least "woke"? Go there.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she has excellent parents. Congratulations!

Posts: 1151 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It also sounds like she worked her tail off!

Posts: 1151 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Wow! SUPER impressed! Pass on my hearty congrats to her and same to Mom and Dad!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15473 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Remarkable. Hope she makes it all the way to a slot in the Blue Angels.

Posts: 13547 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Posts: 5509 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Congrats to her and all her hard work.

Posts: 4217 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congratulations!

My daughter graduated Annapolis (USNA) in 2011.
I've been through the nomination process with her, with my son (who received an appointment but decided against it), and my nephew who just this year graduated from Westpoint (USMA).

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24554 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
That is beyond amazing! My heartfelt congratulations to her and your family!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
That is amazing to be nominated for four academies. It sounds that she has a good base no doubt attributed to the support and guidance from her family. Kudos to her and to you for doing such a great job in giving her the tools to succeed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4886 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Amazing work.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to her. Annapolis is a tough place, and Naval aviation is a long road.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Impressive.

I'll say that the US Merchant Marine Academy, though maybe not as well known or "prestigious" as the other four federal Academies, does offer a few advantages and more options. Particularly she will ultimately have the choice of which branch of the military she wants to be commissioned in. Most go Navy like myself, but I had many classmates who also went Army, Marines, Air Force, and yes even Coast Guard.

Furthermore, another thing to consider if she wants to go Navy Flight, Annapolis only allows for so many spots. USMMA is the same, but since it is much smaller, there is less competition and her chances are much greater at getting picked.

One other thing. Though you are a commissioned officer and will be required to fulfill a minimum of eight years maintaining your commission and Merchant Marine license, you will not be full time active duty, you will be a reservist required to do a minimum 2 weeks active duty for 8 years. Unless of course you choose the military as your career path. That's the great thing. You have that option, unlike the other federal Academies.

I graduated in 2002 and will always be grateful for my time and experiences while at USMMA.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30862 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
That's incredible! Congratulations to her...you must be so proud!

I agree with Balze here, but that's because I'm also a merchant mariner. As he said, her options are wide open, plus she'll have a merchant marine license which translates to some pretty darn good pay should she change her mind about careers.

Whatever her choice, I'm sure she'll excel!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39185 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! I hope you'll keep us updated on her.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8650 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Wow
If you are going to brag about a kid, she sounds like the on to brag on.
I'm assuming she was refering to your dad in the article?

Keep us updated, i'm looking forward to hearing about her journey.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3894 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very impressive, congrats to that young lady. If I read the article correctly it says her Mom is a CG veteran. I wonder if she is also applying to the Coast Guard Academy as well. Prob not (since she wants to be a Blue Angel) but it would be cool to say she had an appointment there as well. Different application for the CG Academy from all the others, no congressional appointments there.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Wow
If you are going to brag about a kid, she sounds like the on to brag on.
I'm assuming she was refering to your dad in the article?

Keep us updated, i'm looking forward to hearing about her journey.

I will most certainly keep all updated

Yes, that’s my father she refers to who passed a few years ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6290 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post