SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passengers Furious After Hundreds of Flights Cancelled…Reported ‘Sick Out’ by Pilots and ATC Due to COVID [Vaccine] Mandate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passengers Furious After Hundreds of Flights Cancelled…Reported ‘Sick Out’ by Pilots and ATC Due to COVID [Vaccine] Mandate Login/Join 
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
And I'm flying to Texas for Thanksgiving.
Not unless that Geyhound bus can get airborne. Razz

At least I thought to buy travel insurance this time. Just in case.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Things are going to crap at an accelerated rate. I guess that happens when it's intentional.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I asked earlier - who is John Gault?

Yeah, linking not working to terrorism. They better rethink that one before it splashes back on their voting base.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
[Get a clue ffs.

What does "ffs" mean to someone who doesn't speak teen?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^Speaking of AA...

This is not news....Yet, but rumor has it that American Airlines is 'working' on a similar action' to what's happening at Southwest.

Time will tell, as they say....I say, Bring It! Wink

Yes, Bring It!
This is just what we need. Good Americans willing to put themselves out. Here's something true: THEY ONLY HAVE AS MUCH POWER AS WE GIVE THEM

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And most of them only fly where the airlines go, at least most of the time.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
[Get a clue ffs.

What does "ffs" mean to someone who doesn't speak teen?

"For F***'s Sake."

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My brother and SIL were caught up in Southwest’s pilot sick out today. Spent a whole day at the airport trying to make it over to S Carolina. Finally, made it to the counter hours later where they were given a $200 voucher, told, “Have a nice day,” and “Clear away from the counter.”

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nice. Here's a check, now GTFO. Thank you for not flying Southwest...

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

"For F***'s Sake."

Ah. Of course it does.

For the record, I do have a fucking clue, and am vaccinated; about half the pilots most places seem to be vaccinated, half not, varies with the operator, age, demographic, etc.

My wife is in the high-risk group (as am I) and wasn't enamored with me traveling the globe and returning to possibly bring it home. Short of quitting work, the better option was vaccination, and as soon as it became available, we were both vaccinated. She's had a booster; when I'm available to do so, I'll get one, too.

For those pilots flying for operators who do considerable government work, I don't know how much the government will ultimately be able to enforce mandates, but the companies will do the policing in house. Personally, I don't much care if others get vaccinated or not. When it comes to a job action, which is illegal in a railway labor act setting, without an approval to strike, I won't engage in an illegal action to make a statement. It's unprofessional, and it's illegal.

My son was delayed on a SWA flight. Regardless of the cause, the passengers are expecting service. I dont' care the carrier or the company. One can have personal feelings, but it is unprofessional to impact the public service to express a personal bent.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No one is making a statement. We're just exercising out right to self-determination when it comes to what we do or do not choose to put in our bodies. You can try to reduce this to partisan politics, but that's what the leftists are doing. Informed consent. Remember those words.

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
At least I thought to buy travel insurance this time. Just in case.

You know, when I saw it in the checkout page, I had this funny feeling and decided to get it also. We'll see. If the post a few pages back about AA doing this as well, I may have to make use of it next week.

It greatly inconveniences me, but I'll get over it because I totally get it. I wouldn't want to be bullied into it, either.

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize this isn't about partisan politics, and that there are a plethora of reasons that people may choose or resist vaccination. Many of them are political, regardless of the partisan nature: within the airline the politics aren't partisan, but factional: union, management, and competing interests that may be group, or personal.

Some resist vaccination as a matter of choice, while others do it based on a belief that it may be ineffective, or may harm, or any number of other reasons.

Presently the only mandated vaccine for those flying internationally is yellow fever, but the covid issue is global and it's almost certain to become a metric of travel, entry into countries, etc (as it has become in a number of locations). I don't know any pilots who have refused the yellow fever vaccine on the basis that they were required to get it, and I've worked at several operations where it was required. A pilot who doesn't get the necessary travel documents and the necessary vaccine can't be used in those operations. If it turns out that covid vaccine is such a requirement, then pilots will have to choose if they will go elsewhere, or get the vaccine.

If one engages in a job action such as a "sick out," it's illegal under the Railway Labor Act, under which all pilot unionization is organized. It's also unprofessional, as there are other avenues upon which to express disagreement with policy. Pilots are frequently counseled that if they are tasked with something that is required of them, but with which they disagree or that violates their contract, then take the flight, and file a grievance.

The issue of a requirement for pilots to vaccinate is a legal one that should be addressed through legal means, not by stranding passengers, cargo, or the operator, with illegal job actions. If pilots don't like it, there are legal means of redress.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Informed consent.

...I recall one called "consent of the governed" too....

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
What do people think is going to happen when the airlines fire or suspend XX % of their pilots and flight crews?

What are.... cancelled flights?

People just got a taste of what is coming.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know any pilots who have refused the yellow fever vaccine on the basis that they were required to get it, and I've worked at several operations where it was required.

I don't argue with your wanting to earn a living and protect your wife, but I've gotta ask - were those yellow fever vaccines tested and, if so, for how long?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Sooooo…

Should my wife and I cancel/reschedule our flight to DR next week? We are flying AA

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^Don't forget the fourth reason....Those who've already had & recovered from COVID, and therefore now have Robust Natural Immunity!

I claim ALL Four Reasons as exemptions, and justification for my refusal to comply! Wink
I don't claim any of them. I'm simply saying no because as a free man, it is my right to do so. All the rest is nice but totally unnecessary in my book.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
sns, "global pandemic". So lets talk about the globe and the pandemic shall we.

We can talk about countries like Australia, Israel, Canada, the US.

What about places like the Scandinavia countries, India, Africa, All of Asia, the Mediterranean. The Middle East, Russia, Europe. So what about the globe? How bad is it?

According to you, you freely travel the globe. Tell us. You seem to know everything.

Inform the rest of us who haven't a clue.

And by the way. The crap people (all) have been put through since this started. I do not give a rats ass what those airline employees contract says. Good for them for resisting more bullshit being thrown at them. It is way past time to say enough is enough.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The issue of a requirement for pilots to vaccinate is a legal one that should be addressed through legal means, not by stranding passengers, cargo, or the operator, with illegal job actions. If pilots don't like it, there are legal means of redress.

There is no precedent for any of this and it will take years, likely decades to see "legal" results. In the mean time, these companies will have fired those that don't want dead baby tissue floating around inside them, causing their own "sick out". As it's been stated, there's gonna be a helluva shortage of talent (regardless of industry) come deadline time.

Your talk about the Yellow Fever vaccine is interesting: Started working on it in 1912. Vaccine began rollout in 1938. That's quite a few years of testing & refinement. 600 million doses worldwide....where are we at with COVID jabs? 400 Million and growing daily! What's the end game with yellow fever vaccine vs Covid jabs? One was about fixing a problem, the other is all about creating wealth for those involved, instilling fear in those that are to be controlled by the wealthy. It has fuckall to do with anyone's health!

I'm just gonna throw this out there for those that believe in the vaccine: What was every single liberal howling about (besides President DJT) before all of this COVID nonsense? It was a talking point for multiple politicians running for their office. I'll clue you in: THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMPAINES and how exorbitantly priced medicine was along with the overall cost of MEDICAL treatment with and without insurance. Do you hear anyone squawking about that shit now? No. Why?

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post