SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Terror attacks again in London (London Bridge)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terror attacks again in London (London Bridge) Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
This will continue until the world has had enough.

I sincerely hope that day arrives soon.

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I believe that “run, hide, tell” makes perfect sense when there are no other options.

Oh, let people be armed effectively, we say? Polls have shown that even a majority of British police themselves don’t want to be armed.

When/if that mindset ever changes I’d volunteer to go there and teach classes, but I’m getting up in years and doubt that I’ll live long enough to see that happen. But until then, if vigils and lighting up Big Ben in rainbow colors isn’t going to change things, neither will American gun owners’ smugly pontificating that they need to come up with something more effective than running and hiding.

We shouldn’t ever forget either that the situation isn’t that much different in this country. In areas where ordinary residents can arm themselves in public the percentages are very small; in areas where they can’t, they’re even smaller. Despite the fact that some people believe the police don’t and can’t actually prevent crimes, I believe that’s part of the reason we don’t have these sorts of low level attacks, not because maybe one in a thousand non-LEOs is both armed and capable of reacting quickly and correctly to such things.

That's the problem. People just accept that this is the way it has to be and to suggest otherwise is 'smug pontificating'.

The problem has a solution. Stop allowing unchecked immigration from terrorist countries. If you are going to make it illegal for people to defend themselves, then you have to provide greater security.

This is not rocket science and pointing out the problem is not the problem.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I'd rather fight to the death with a pencil than run and hide and wait for somebody to kill me. It's not that I'm so brave, it's just a far better death.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11207 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think I can guess which end of the Mediterranean they are from and it's not the north side.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
This is where you learn how liberal policies aren't just stupid they are dangerous. Sadly, they still won't learn

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Their newspapers refer to muslim terrorists as "Asians".

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34394 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Their newspapers refer to muslim terrorists as "Asians".

Like the ubiquitous 'teens' in US newspaper crime reports?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

- John Adams

posted Hide Post
^^^Just back up and pump a bunch of rounds in him until he blows.

Posts: 5233 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Bette Midler chimes in with some deep analysis

- John Adams

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My comment about pontificating was prompted by the fact that every single one of these threads is as predictable as the morning sunrise. Within three or four posts of the beginning, someone will make a suggestion that would amount to genocide if implemented or points out the obvious: “These things happen because they let in the people who do these things; if they hadn’t let in the people who do these things, these things wouldn’t happen.” Thank you, Doctor Einstein, for that profound insight. Roll Eyes

Doesn’t anyone ever get tired of saying the same things over and over?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47679 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
My comment about pontificating was prompted by the fact that every single one of these threads is as predictable as the morning sunrise. Within three or four posts of the beginning, someone will make a suggestion that would amount to genocide if implemented or points out the obvious: “These things happen because they let in the people who do these things; if they hadn’t let in the people who do these things, these things wouldn’t happen.” Thank you, Doctor Einstein, for that profound insight. Roll Eyes

That's because people are tired of the script.

Muslim terrorists attack.
People murdered in cold blood.
Wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Facebook filter applied to profile pic.
Candlelight vigil.
Light up a monument with rainbows.
Decry 'extremism in all it's forms'.
Open up borders.
Increase the number of refugees from terrorist countries.
Criticize anyone who suggests it's a bad idea.
Warn about backlash against Muslims.

Rinse. Repeat.

- John Adams

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
No, we prefer throwing hands up in helpless dismay to glaring, obvious truth.

" “These things happen because they let in the people who do these things; if they hadn’t let in the people who do these things, these things wouldn’t happen.” Thank you, Doctor Einstein, for that profound insight."

And yet the people of the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, Denmark... have not yet gotten it.

Sorry these threads don't entertain you better. But your complaint is like the guy ordering another serving of the dish he just said was awful.

Posts: 11207 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hmm, I was just trying to remember the number of times Europe was attacked like this before "they let in the people who do these things"? Probably sometime back before they invited in all those who had lived under British colonialism, right?

Posts: 5233 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Bette Midler chimes in with some deep analysis

She is a fuckin' idiot. Not all muslims are terrorist, but nearly all terrorists are muslim.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23659 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, we complain and ridicule other people for doing and saying the same things over and over by doing and saying the same things over and over ourselves.

Just a bitch about what these threads turn into rather than being a source of useful information. I should know better by now, but I had a long, tiring day and should also go to bed.

Carry on.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47679 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, we complain and ridicule other people for doing and saying the same things over and over by doing and saying the same things over and over ourselves.

Just a bitch about what these threads turn into rather than being a source of useful information. I should know better by now.

Carry on.

So, your solution is to not challenge the liberal solution? Just stay silent and let the narrative be that we need to love more and accept more refugees?

Thanks, but no thanks.

- John Adams

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I forgot this part of the script:

"Motive unknown"

- John Adams

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Like your useful information that "Run and Hide" is actually a sensible strategy to combat terrorism.

Thanks for that.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we need a strong Twitter hashtag campaign?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post