SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ideas for defensive weapon in non-permissive environment
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for defensive weapon in non-permissive environment Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
A sharpened toothbrush handle.

He's going to a basketball game, not prison Smile

but I like your train of thought.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10954 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had an older gentleman use his cane to beat the hell out of an unarmed robber that tried to overpower him. The robber was about 50 years younger and 80 pounds heavier than the gentleman.

Posts: 30 | Location: ST. CLAIR SHORES, MI, USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
If you're okay getting up close, I carry a garrote whenever I fly.
Dental floss and a couple pencils? Subscribe to the best defense is a good offense idea?

Posts: 11035 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
A Irish Shillelagh Blackthorn Wooden Walking Stick

Can you be more specific? Wink

Sure

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/4670014554/p/4

Posts: 23611 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
A sharpened toothbrush handle.

He's going to a basketball game, not prison Smile

but I like your train of thought.

NBA game? Same thing.

A little training in Filipino Martial Arts with a dip into Silat. You can use the handheld flashlight with an optional smaller "DNA" collector bezel. Silat uses scarf, rope, or belt as a very good weapon (trapping, controlling, and choking out). There are some paracord wrist bands which doubles as a improvised weapon. some have a small decorative weight on an end to use as an impact weapon.

Paracord bracelets

Good video showing different techniques about half way down the page in the above.

Posts: 3958 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Some years back they were selling a non-metal knife called a "CIA letter opener." Came in a nylon sheath. Gets through metal detectors, unsure about some of the more upgraded security devices.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1572 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
A Irish Shillelagh Blackthorn Wooden Walking Stick

^^^^
This. But if it is loaded and they have a scanner, you'll be denied.

Posts: 12477 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Glock 7

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30760 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Darth, Are you short, heavy set, wear a brimmed hat and a trench coat Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Wooden cane, they can’t deny you entrance for a medical device.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
If you're okay getting up close, I carry a garrote whenever I fly.
Dental floss and a couple pencils? Subscribe to the best defense is a good offense idea?

Something like that. Ever since 9/11 I carry benign looking objects that combined are weapons. A garrote is only one of them.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29738 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16731 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I always have my pen, Court House, etc.
2.25 oz SS, uses Space Pen ink cartridges.

Posts: 1483 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I carry a petzl locking carabiner. Taken it on over 100 flights and never had TSA look twice at it. I clip my keys to it and to a ring in my backpack. You could probably clip your keys to it and attach to a belt or belt loop. It makes a decent improvised “brass knuckle”.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://www.selfdefenseproduct...rambit-defense-tool/

Here’s another, ‘Karambit’ tool, kinda like polymer brass knuckles. It draws no suspicion.

I like the hat & trench coat idea. Sometimes when I can’t carry a gun, I’ll dress or act like I am carrying. It’s my way of telegraphing.

Posts: 6197 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bring a stout sock and a handful of loose change. Add to the coinage with strategic purchases at concessions. Concessions may trade you a 10 spot for a roll of quarters...
s.

Posts: 299 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Is pepper spray allowed in stadiums?

Posts: 7427 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not knowing your physical status, I feel funny recommending a Cane or walking stick. I feel like I would probably get some extra scrutiny being a relatively healthy looking middle age male carrying a Cane with no obvious impairment or mobility/balance issue.

That said, I like to carry a small light that I can make a tight fist over and one of the stainless bodied Zebra pens as they are still durable but dont scream weapon like the Gerber shown above. I've been told a disposable bic lighter is almost as good as a roll of quarters inside a fist. I've seen some good paracord monkey paws used as keychains as well. My area is rural so I daily a small Kershaw and a box cutter as well since I use them at work.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2753 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Glock 7

How much do those cost?

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
No need to bring anything. Just borrow someone's spectacles.

Q

Posts: 26547 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post