SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walking canes for self defense.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walking canes for self defense. Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Dad, the Veterinarian, had a cane made of a dried bull dick. True.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Since this topic came up again. After trying a few different style canes I finally settled on the Campbell Cane. It became my go-to cane mostly because it helps me stand up from a sitting position easier, in addition for my condition it helps me walk more upright. It's almost a trail walking stick in appearance. But it works great for my mobility. YMMV

Forgive the sales pitch, the video best describes the features and advantages..

I used the blue aluminum one for awhile but found the ergonomics of the Campbell Cane handle better suited my needs. Though it may not be built for self defense purposes, it still could be used to keep somebody at a distance, plus you could wack them if warranted.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I know... I'm resurrecting an old thread.

Back on the second page I posted a picture of my modified fritz handled walking canes (non defensive use). The handle style has proved very comfortable for me. Sadly my favorite one (bubinga - tiger maple) has broken. I tripped and fell on some stairs with the cane coming across the steps. My weight on top of it snapped the handle from the shaft. A skilled friend attempted repairs but the joint remained too weak to rely on.

So I've reconsidered crook style one piece canes in oak or hickory as being more resilient. Unsure if I will find the handle comfortable I've opted for a Brazos twisted oak crook neck cane (found on sale for ~$35) to try out rather than going immediately top shelf from Cane Masters. I'll need to trim the length when it arrives but that isn't a problem.

As an aside the two from Cane Masters that were on my radar were the Tactical Training and Gentleman's Walking canes, both in one of the hickory wood options.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
… Sadly my favorite one (bubinga - tiger maple) has broken. I tripped and fell on some stairs with the cane coming across the steps. My weight on top of it snapped the handle from the shaft. A skilled friend attempted repairs but the joint remained too weak to rely on.

How did he attempt to repair?

I have a three piece wooden walking staff that has threaded insert and embedded bolt to assemble. As sturdy as a single piece when put together.

Maybe try dual pointed screw to reconnect the two pieces?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
And since this thread has been resurrected, I posted early on my interest.

I ended up getting a Cold Steel Blackthorn cane

https://www.coldsteel.com/iris...thorn-walking-stick/

My only nit pick on it was the end didn’t provide great traction if using as a cane so I added a rubber cane tip to resolve that issue.

Loved it so much I also got the Blackthorn staff as well for hiking.

On the staff I drilled and added a metal tripod spike for additional traction in ice, etc. and covered by rubber cap when not needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WHTBLY8

Finally, picked up the three piece staff to be a little less “obvious” to TSA. Top and bottom piece make perfect cane length, all three is walking staff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q2JJ2H6

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
How did he attempt to repair?

He drilled out the original joining wood rod and replaced it with an oak one glued in. But we found the handle itself was irreparably damaged with an unnoticed stress fracture from the original break before his attempt. It failed when I first went to use it after the repair.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I carry a Blackthorn walking/fighting stick.

One is very rustic made by ye olde Shillelagh shop, and the other is a polished beauty made by Declan Casey. Both came from Ireland.

I also carry a 1 1/4 inch purple heart wood shaft with zebra wood handle cane on occasion.

I find a stick is a formidable weapon, and is a good alternative to a blade, and sometimes is a better option due to the possibility of collateral damage as a pistol.

The nicer canes / fighting sticks I own also compliment my kilt.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Cold Steel makes a nice line of these. Unbreakable.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I'd like to find crook neck 36" black thorn 'cane'.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:

Currently sold out, but...https://fashionablecanes.com/p...d-crook-walking-cane

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:

Look up Declan Casey on Facebook. He is a Blackthorn stick maker in Ireland.... he can make you what you want. Or look up Old shillelagh shop online as Liam can also make what you want.

Declan made a very light stick with a steel core for extra strength for a friend of mine, and I have a 43.5 inch knob handle from him that I love.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I ordered mine from here and am pleased with it
https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

I purchased one of my sticks from here. I love it. It is a rustic fighting stick with a rootball handle.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
appreciate the links, will do a bit of shopping

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

I purchased one of my sticks from here. I love it. It is a rustic fighting stick with a rootball handle.

I've purchased from that site as well, twice, no problems, fast shipping and top-quality sticks.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I use a Hickory cane from Lehmans Hardware. Amish made. Light and strong.
Clint appreciated Hickory!

I live 10 miles from Lehman's I also carry one of those. I have drop foot and walk with a limp anyway. This cane is more than a ball bat.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my Corvette days, I used to take a fall trip up to Kidron and do an overnight Bed and Breakfast stay. Lehmans was a must.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. Scheduling a trip to Portugal/España later this year.

Wanted something comfy and handy.

Just ordered a nice walking stick (my “stout blackthorn”) Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Lehman's on line has been showing their hickory walking cane as out of stock for quite some time. Frown

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
With a little work you can make a real nice cain using a simple used shovel handle. All you need is a saw and file and make it your way! Would be a nice day's winter project.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post