SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ideas for defensive weapon in non-permissive environment
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for defensive weapon in non-permissive environment Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
In another thread I mentioned going to a Memphis grizzlies basketball game. Another member informed me that they do have metal detectors. What would be something that will make it past security that would provide at least a little protection?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7964 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
You can always rock a nylon knife.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7087 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
A sharpened toothbrush handle.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34150 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I suggest you leave early enough to get a decent parking space and travel to and from your vehicle with others as much as possible. Once inside the FedEx forum, you'll be just fine.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
A Irish Shillelagh Blackthorn Wooden Walking Stick

Posts: 23604 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A quality EDC light that has an impact bezel or, able to handle strikes.

Being in an arena, power outages or, low-light performances having a small handheld light is pretty handy. Was leaving a baseball game after a night game, and the lights went out in the stairwell, I whipped out my Surefire and led the way out. Can easily see how things can get stupid at a concert or, other event depending on attendees.

Posts: 14703 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
A Irish Shillelagh Blackthorn Wooden Walking Stick

Can you be more specific? Wink

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7964 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
A quality EDC light that has an impact bezel or, able to handle strikes.

Not a bad idea.
Maybe one of those reinforced umbrellas, if rain is in the forecast & you aren't the cane type.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15399 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I got lit up going through a metal detector at a John Prine concert in Chicago a few years back. The metal was my Leatherman. The guard just looked at me, rolled his eyes, and said,"go ahead".

Posts: 20133 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Defensive weapon is between your ears.
As far as a tool to use:
Blackthorn walking stick I strolled right through college football security without a blink.

Tactical pen, with training and practice.

Reinforced umbrella.

Open hand/closed fist.

Carbon microfiber weapons- but you'll have to explain yourself and likely only be able to use against one assailant.

Flashlight, but if it has crenellations be prepared to be denied entry.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5648 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Would a mono pod for a camera be allowed in?

Link

Disney allows them while not allowing selfie sticks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 11034 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Any walking cane.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Carbide tipped aluminum tube trekking poles with the tip concealed in a rubber tip cover. Explain you have balance issues and these are used to help balance.

Its a three foot long spear. And you have two!

On planes, internationally; secure. gov facilities. Never been stopped.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31486 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Kubotan ... on your keys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubotan

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

This. It's more important than any weapon.

If you're going to carry an implement, a flashlight is a good idea to have anyway, but I'd steer away from the overtly "tactical" ones with spikes or crenellations, as those are often viewed as weapons and not allowed in secure areas. You can use a normal EDC flashlight as an impact weapon/kubaton if needed, without any fancy bezel.

Look for a metal-bodied flashlight that's thin enough to allow you to make a complete fist around it comfortably, without being too thick or thin. You'll want it to be long enough to be held in your fist with your thumb over the top and then protrude a couple inches past the bottom of your fist, but not much more than that. Then use it in an overhand "hammer fist" style of striking.

Something like this:

Posts: 32565 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Kubotan ... on your keys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubotan

My wife used to have one similar to this on her keys
Massive image removed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...dia/File:Kubotan.jpg

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15399 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Flashlight, but if it has crenellations be prepared to be denied entry.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

This. It's more important than any weapon.

If you're going to carry an implement, a flashlight is a good idea to have anyway, but I'd steer away from the overtly "tactical" ones with spikes or crenellations, as those are often viewed as weapons and not allowed in secure areas. You can use a normal EDC flashlight as an impact weapon/kubaton if needed, without any fancy bezel.

Yup, don't be surprised, some bezel edges are a bit over-the-top when it comes to their designs...reminds me when Rambo-inspired knives came out Big Grin You're not looking to julienne the attacker just give them enough of a stun so you can egress or, control the situation.

Posts: 14703 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The real threat is being knocked over and trampled in the crowd in a mass casualty event.

A flashlight, good supportive shoes with decent ankle and toe protection, and a firm understanding of the stadium layout and exits would be what I would bring.

A cane or umbrella might in fact be too unwieldy in a crowd. Maybe large format magazine, tightly rolled up and bundled would make something a little closer to baton size. Something like a photography or architecture magazine from the bookstore. You can slip in a sheet of wax paper to the center pages and leave a few strips of duct tape in there to bind it up.

Another thought just popped into my head, which may or may not be kind of silly....

Hard motorcycle elbow armor, worn under a jacket or sweatshirt, would give you a significant space clearing advantage. Even in a mosh pit, a a thrown elbow is an effective way to clear people away from you.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.nometalknucks.com

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16135 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If you're okay getting up close, I carry a garrote whenever I fly.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29736 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post