SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ideas for defensive weapon in non-permissive environment
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for defensive weapon in non-permissive environment Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Glock 7

How much do those cost?

More than you make in a month!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10965 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Depends on what kind of weapon you are proficient with. A couple of Bic pens make acceptable stabbing weapons on exposed or lightly covered body parts. If you’re a knife guy, a CIA letter opener or Cold Steel plastic knife is a good choice. They are nylon and very sturdy and can be profiled down to be a better stabbing weapon than from the box. If you have a lady with you, the Cold Steel Honeycomb would blend in inside a purse and is another option that doesn’t scream weapon.

If you’re good with your hands, armored gloves from any number of sources can be pocket carried and protect knuckles and increase punch force/damage. Oakley is just one manufacturer of many.

The Cold steel Koga or similar is a decent impact weapon.

There’s also a version with a semi-sharpened profile that might make someone think they’ve been stabbed and cause deescalation.

I’m not a “event” guy where I need to pass through a magnetometer but if I was, I’d go with both armored gloves and something like the Honeycomb or similar. Protecting hands is key, especially if you have to deal with more than a single threat.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15640 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

What’s it made of???

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

What’s it made of???

porcelain. You should be able to get it past the x-ray at the stadium.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1579 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
A pencil. A fucking pencil.

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leather sap/coin pouch

Posts: 988 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ss9961:
A pencil. A fucking pencil.

And that's before killing the man's puppy and stealing his car.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:

HA!The movie version.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7660 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
HA!The movie version.

Clearly the movie version... because the real-world Porcelain Glock looks totally different.

Wink

Posts: 32569 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
The real threat is being knocked over and trampled in the crowd in a mass casualty event.

A flashlight, good supportive shoes with decent ankle and toe protection ...

Hard motorcycle elbow armor, worn under a jacket or sweatshirt, would give you a significant space clearing advantage. Even in a mosh pit, a a thrown elbow is an effective way to clear people away from you.

I like your approach: rollerball without the wheels.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15916 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IANAL, so I don't know what the laws are in other states... but in Utah, "no weapon" signs only hold legal weight in certain churches and government buildings.

I may or may not have gone to Utah Jazz games in the past and worn a belt with a metal buckle and a firearm IWB right behind the buckle.

When you set the metal detector off, they quickly wand you, then you lift up your shirt a tiny bit to show them your belt buckle... then you're good to go. They have tons of people to get into the venue, so it's not a TSA take off your belt type search.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingedMedic:
IANAL, so I don't know what the laws are in other states... but in Utah, "no weapon" signs only hold legal weight in certain churches and government buildings.

I may or may not have gone to Utah Jazz games in the past and worn a belt with a metal buckle and a firearm IWB right behind the buckle.

When you set the metal detector off, they quickly wand you, then you lift up your shirt a tiny bit to show them your belt buckle... then you're good to go. They have tons of people to get into the venue, so it's not a TSA take off your belt type search.

Especially if you go with the the Texas Rodeo Buckle........you can hide a Glock 34 behind that.

Posts: 3958 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This could come in handy -

Lenwood BFT (blunt force trauma) Belt

Posts: 3498 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For some reason when I walk my German Shepherd people give notice. Maybe it’s those pointy ears? She’s kinda mellow for a shepherd, though a little barky.

Can’t take a weapon, take a dog.

Posts: 6197 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

Can’t take a weapon, take a dog.

Into a basketball stadium?

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good, heavy set of steel toed boots can be your friend. Protection from clumsy people stepping on you, and can bruise or even break shins.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
It seems to me it depends on the threats you think likely.

First of all, whenever I will be inside where it will be dark if the power goes out, I carry a flashlight.

A bright strobing flashlight can disorient an attacker to buy you time and distance.

Inside the venue it is unlikely to be assaulted or robbed. If a drunk asshole just won't leave you alone, you won't have time to put on gloves. He'll go from shit talking to throwing punches instantly. I carry a sturdy pen in my shirt pocket.

A bunch of coins in a sock in your pocket could be quickly accessed. Also remember that an unopened can or bottle is a good striking tool.

You are extremely unlikely to need a firearm inside.

From the car to the building is a different vulnerability. I sometimes choose a military-ish wardrobe. 5.11 pants, decent boots, wilderness instructor belt, a solid color shirt. Heads up looking around. Don't look like a soft intoxicated target.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Flashlight from Surefire, Tube-a-ton titanium storage tube from CountyComm. Fits spare AAA batteries for my AAA flashlight and makes a fine kubaton. VZ make a nice stabby blade made from the Same material as their grip that would work nicely. There are some fine titanium blades out there but it would depend on the detector. There are some that are so sensitive they might find those blades. Saw a video recently recommending 550 cord and a couple of large nuts, used as a swinging weapon it was pretty decent.

https://countycomm.com/product...?variant=32444869644

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post