SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
$100 million to causes designed to promote “social justice change.”

Easy to believe they've lost $100 million and will lose more if this continues.

Maybe they'll realize the reason there "Was" and nfl was the fans Not the players.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
How stupid can Goodell be ?

https://hotair.com/archives/20...ers-anthem-protests/

The league finally cut a deal last night with representatives from several teams over their concerns about social justice issues, hoping to put an end to the public-relations nightmare.

The league has committed to paying almost $90 million over the next seven years to support the players’ political and social agenda after a series of meetings with their representatives.

In return, the league gets … nothing.

NFL player representatives and league officials reached an agreement Wednesday night for the league to provide financial support to players’ community-activism endeavors, according to a person familiar with the deliberations.

The tentative agreement does not directly address the ongoing protests by players during the national anthem, multiple people familiar close to the situation said earlier in the evening.

Owners have been hopeful that an agreement with the players on activism would lead all players to voluntarily stand for the anthem. But divisions on the players’ side that became evident earlier Wednesday could lead to the protests continuing even with the deal in place.

the owners didn’t sit down with the NFL Players Association, which is the official representative of labor and authorized by the players to negotiate binding agreements on their behalf. They sat down with an ad-hoc committee of players with no such endorsement.

???

San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid said Wednesday that Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins kicked Colin Kaepernick out of the Players Coalition, naming it as one of Reid’s reasons for splitting from the group. Jenkins said that’s not true, that he has kept Kaepernick in the loop and that the former quarterback preferred the relationship to be informal.

Reid and Dolphins safety Michael Thomas announced on social media earlier in the day that they were breaking from the coalition started by Jenkins and former NFL receiver Anquan Boldin. Chargers offensive tackle Russell Okung also announced he was breaking from the coalition.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Kaepernick QUIT his job; he should not be involved in anything. He is no longer an NFL player.

But whatever. Keep dickin' the dog Goodell.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Goodell must own CVS franchises around the country. You know- Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis...

Posts: 107598 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The NFL owners apparently went to the 0bama school of negotiation. Be in a position of strength but negotiate like you're weak, give money when you don't have to, and receive nothing in return (e.g. no guarantee that Anthem protests would end).

There are zero options for these players to earn millions as:
  • It'd be a huge pay cut to go play CFL or Arena
  • Most of these guys took underwater basketweaving in college and might be able to get a job as a barista

Sit the NFL PA down, give them an ultimatum that one single incident of protest will result in a lockout. If a single player kneels on Sunday, lockout the NFL PA on Monday and when the NFL PA finally comes to the negotiation table take every dime the protests costs (ad revenue, merchandise sales, tickets sales, and concessions) out of the players, go after everything on owner's wish list, and get them to agree to harsh penalties for protests while carrying out official duties (on the field, press conferences, interviews, etc).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23260 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
    Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sdy:
    How stupid can Goodell be ?
    Rhetorical question, right? I think the story you posted paints a rather clear picture just how hopelessly stupid Goodell is. Wonder where Jerry Jones stands on this deal?

How about another question regarding Goodell? Do you think this deal helps or hurts his personal contract negotiations with the owners?

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
    Picture of lastmanstanding
    posted Hide Post
    Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton must be admiring the shake down job the players just laid on the NFL.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
    The guy behind the guy
    Picture of esdunbar
    posted Hide Post
    This is hard not to laugh at. So you're telling that your solution to your right wing fans being pissed off at you is to support social justice?

I mean, that's beyond out of touch, that's just amazingly stupid. Seeing just how left this organization is has made me extremely happy I finally stopped giving them my time and money.

Picture of olfuzzy
    posted Hide Post
    Just when you think they can't piss you off any more Mad

Colts LB Anthony Walker to Honor Trayvon Martin with Custom Cleats:

NFL players will pay tribute to the cause of their choice this weekend, through the league’s “My Cause, My Cleats” campaign.
    Most will wear cleats honoring organizations that fight cancer, or promote literacy. Others, will dedicate their footwear to messages far more personal.

Colts LB Anthony Walker will wear a pair of cleats honoring Trayvon Martin, the Miami teenager killed in an altercation with neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman in February of 2012:

Walker, a Miami native, says the cleats will support the Trayvon Martin Foundation. According to TMZ Sports, “The cleats were made by sneaker artist Desmond Jones (aka Skilz)…”

http://www.breitbart.com/sport...artin-custom-cleats/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
    Lighten up and laugh
    Picture of Ackks
    posted Hide Post
    Jenkins from the Eagles is ending his fist in the air protest because he feels the NFL is taking adequate steps to address social issues. He is being blasted on social media, so they are eating their own at this point and showing their true colors.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
    The Main Thing Is
    Not To Get Excited
    Picture of wishfull thinker
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ackks:
    Jenkins from the Eagles is ending his fist in the air protest because he feels the NFL is taking adequate steps to address social issues. He is being blasted on social media, so they are eating their own at this point and showing their true colors.

Ah shit. I missed it! I'm sure it was very impactful and resonant and reductive and transparent and stuff too. Maybe next season...or not.

Posts: 6395 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
    Glorious SPAM!
    Picture of mbinky
    posted Hide Post
    It f I had the desire to attend a game I'd carry a sign that read something like "My Social Justice Charity Is The NRA" or something. Probably get kicked out.

Conservative Behind
    Enemy Lines
    Picture of synthplayer
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Walker, a Miami native, says the cleats will support the Trayvon Martin Foundation.

Nothing can explain better why most of America has no sympathy for the NFL's agenda than this. Trayvon Martin Foundation? A foundation for the purpose of honoring a scumbag like him?! Nobody in his right mind would suppose anything other than that he was destined for a life of crime, spending more time behind bars than outside of them.

These people are refusing to accept reality. They look at the crime stats and conclude it's because of racism - even though all you have to do is look at the dash-cam and body-cam videos of LEOs to see where the real problem lies. There are many on youtube.

The problems with the inner city Black youth will never end until and unless people face the truth and quit living the ridiculous lie that it's the police's fault.

So, the NFL is populated by people who blame everybody but themselves for the problems they themselves create generation after generation. Well, that's just fine - I am absolutely done with the NFL.

I didn't leave the NFL, the NFL left me. It became a collection of self-deluded, ungrateful, anti-American assholes. FNFL

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
    Official Space Nerd
    Picture of Hound Dog
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

NFL players will pay tribute to the cause of their choice this weekend, through the league’s “My Cause, My Cleats” campaign.
    Most will wear cleats honoring organizations that fight cancer, or promote literacy. Others, will dedicate their footwear to messages far more personal.

How many players are going to wear their 'Blue Lives Matter' cleats?

I'm betting zero. These 'tolerant' liberals are violently intolerant of anything that they don't agree with.

Fear God and Dread Nought
    Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
    Too old to run,
    too mean to quit!
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Nothing can explain better why most of America has no sympathy for the NFL's agenda than this. Trayvon Martin Foundation? A foundation for the purpose of honoring a scumbag like him?! Nobody in his right mind would suppose anything other than that he was destined for a life of crime, spending more time behind bars than outside of them.

Not unlike a lot of the nfl doooshbags.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
    -Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
    Gracie Allen is my
    personal savior!
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ackks:
    He is being blasted on social media, so they are eating their own at this point and showing their true colors.

'Tis the season. I mean, we can't let this get lost in the sexcapade shuffle, can we?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Eric Reid is now saying that the main reason he pulled out was that the NFL allows, per the agreement, for the owners to move money behind the scene from programs benefitting cancer and service members to this $100M fund, so basically no skin off their backs.

He said he objected to this and does not want money from these other programs.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Report This Post
    wishing we
    were congress
    posted Hide Post
    edit: this report is so far out that I am wondering if it can be true. It was originally reported by slate.com/sports and then reported again by NBC Sports and also CBS Sports (both referenced the Slate report)

Sports Illustrated is also running w the story

Slate is owned by the Washington Post Company

But whether true or not, the NFL will probably have to respond since NBC and CBS ran with it.

This is the kind of craziness that happens when the NFL "negotiates" w a rag tag small group of players who have no authority at all to speak for the 1700 NFL players

given the above post,

did a search for Eric Reid's statement.

wow. This is PR disaster piled upon PR disaster

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/...itment-is-a-charade/

It was reported Thursday that the NFL had come to an agreement with the Players Coalition to donate $89 million over seven years to various social justice causes. The deal "represents the NFL's largest contribution to a social issue, surpassing that of Salute to Service or Breast Cancer Awareness/Crucial Catch," according to a report from ESPN.com.

One of the players that publicly left the Players Coalition earlier this week said Thursday that the report is misleading.

San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid, one of the first NFL players to kneel during the national anthem after his former teammate Colin Kaepernick started the movement, called the deal a "charade" and said the NFL may be moving some of the money from Salute to Service or Breast Cancer Awareness into the social justice causes.

"In the discussion that we had, Malcolm (Jenkins) conveyed to us -- based on discussions that he had with the NFL -- that the money would come from funds that are already allocated to breast cancer awareness and Salute to Service," Reid told Slate. "So it would really be no skin off the owners' backs: They would just move the money from those programs to this one."

Reid also stated that he believes the NFL is trying to make the decision to fund these programs as easy as possible for the NFL, and that the league office pressured Jenkins into agreeing now in order to announce a deal prior to the Dec. 13 owners' meeting where Roger Goodell's contract will be discussed. (League sources denied this allegation to Slate.)

"Roger Goodell is trying to make this as easy for the owners to agree to as possible so that—again, their goal is to end the protests," Reid said. "He's trying to make it as easy possible to do that for the owners. He's going to present them with a proposal saying, 'Look you really don't have to do anything. We're just going to shift this money from this area and just move it here.'"

Reid told Slate that the deal was put forth as a way to get players to end their protests during the national anthem, and that Jenkins asking him if he would do so was the last straw for his involvement with the Players Coalition

Reid also told Slate that Jenkins was the only protesting player that agreed to the deal, and that the deal has the support of around 1 percent of NFL players.

The allegations Reid made about the source of the funds for the proposed social justice deal have the potential to derail any efforts the league makes, if they're proven true -- especially because it would apparently take money away from a program (Salute to Service) that ostensibly is for "supporting military personnel" and "raising awareness for the sacrifices they make on our behalf," and many of the criticisms directed at the protesting players have been based on how protests during the anthem allegedly disrespect the military.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Be not wise in
    thine own eyes
    Picture of kimber1911
    posted Hide Post
    This may be the thought process.

If we piss off the conservatives enough, "they will come".
    Kind of a take on that baseball movie Field of Dreams with a different twist.

quote:
    called the deal a "charade" and said the NFL may be moving some of the money from Salute to Service or Breast Cancer Awareness into the social justice causes.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
    Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post
    Go ahead punk, make my day
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by synthplayer:
    I didn't leave the NFL, the NFL left me. It became a collection of self-deluded, ungrateful, anti-American assholes. FNFL
    Well said. I feel the same way.

Fuck. Them. FOREVER.