SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

McCain said “That’s their right to do what they want as citizens."

Well geez Johnny, so they should have the "right" to spike the ball in a colorful fashion, the "right" to dance, cheer and mock in the end zone, the "right" to wear stickers honoring fallen Dallas police officers, the "right" to kneel to God and Christ without ridicule and hostility. And so on, so on...

*crickets*

Yeah, just as I thought asshole.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
This is a great development. Maybe more states will consider this.

Louisiana lawmakers question New Orleans Saints state funding after players protest

Offended by New Orleans Saints players who protested by sitting during the national anthem Sunday (Sept. 24), state House Rep. Kenny Havard, R-Jackson, called for Louisiana's government to pull state funding, tax breaks and other support from the professional football franchise.

"Disrespecting our national anthem and flag in the name of social injustice is the highest form of hypocrisy," Havard said in a written statement Monday.

State Rep. Valarie Hodges, R-Denham Springs, has also requested the Saints' state benefits be reviewed by the Legislature's Senate and House budget committees as a result of the players' protest. Hodges is a member of the House Appropriations Committee, which oversees state finances.

About $165 million of the Saints' $1.5 billion value can be attributed to public funding, tax breaks and incentives given to Saints owner Tom Benson each year, according to an analysis The Times-Picayune | NOLA.com conducted in 2016. .

I honestly think the bill to the taxpayers is far greater.

The tax funding, plus the fact that the NFL is anti-gun has bothered me for years.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no constitutional requirement to honor the flag or the national anthem (that I know of). McCain's comment was in the vein of it was okay to disrespect the flag and anthem.

Diff topic:
Here is one example where a boycott is felt:

https://pjmedia.com/video/pitt...g-boycott-fan-anger/

This owner of a Pittsburgh sports store says the problems started Monday morning, after the Steelers embarrassed themselves both on and off the field. Fan anger may not last forever, but it is very real at the moment and the league is ignoring it.

video at link

listen to the store owner complain about Villanueva because he wanted "to see the flag".

Her business has dropped dramatically for Steeler "stuff" and people are giving them a verbal hard time. Good.

No surprise that the media would use hurting small business to help stop this. They stand to lose from this too if it really gets rolling

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, I'm still rooting for the brain tumor.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Unfortunately it looks like the ratings for last night's game were up a good bit. Sad folks aren't turning this shit off.
Don't you think this is all about curiosity? People tuned in to see some shit happen. That's not going to last, not at all.

On the local radio yesterday the host, as well as a lot of the callers said the same thing. They tuned in to see what they would do. Once they saw the kneeling begin, they switched it off.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
John McCain: never fails to disappoint:

when asked by TMZ Sports about the Dallas Cowboys kneeling before the national anthem to protest President Donald Trump’s comments objecting to NFL players kneeling for the national anthem,

Don't ever recall anyone saying they don't have a right to do this. But the NFL is ignoring their own rule book. NFL has the 'right' to fine or penalize players who protest during the games. They've simply chosen not to. So don't be shocked when many fans choose to tune out.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

posted Hide Post
It's not really a national debate on race it's solely "Taking a Knee" and seems to end with that.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Kudos to Joey Odoms.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sp...-story.html#nws=true

Ravens national anthem singer Joey Odoms, a combat veteran, informs team he is resigning

Joey Odoms, the combat veteran who won a competition in 2014 to become the national anthem singer at Ravens home games at M&T Bank Stadium, has resigned from his position, a team spokesperson confirmed Tuesday evening.

“We greatly appreciate the work Joey did for us and we thank him,” said Ravens senior vice president of public and community relations Kevin Byrne.

Odoms’ decision comes two days after many players around the NFL took a knee during the national anthem in response to President Donald Trump’s comments Friday that called for owners to fire players if they didn’t stand for the anthem.

The Ravens had approximately a dozen players, a group that included accomplished veterans Terrell Suggs, Tony Jefferson and Mike Wallace and ex-Raven Ray Lewis, take a knee during the anthem before the team’s game against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday at Wembley Stadium in London.

The display has prompted mixed reactions from Ravens’ fans, with some praising the players and others vowing to sell their tickets and not root for the team again.

Odoms couldn’t immediately be reached for comment. However, in an Instagram post, he wrote that the “tone/actions of a large number of NFL fans in the midst of our country’s cultural crisis, have convinced me that I do not belong” at M&T Bank Stadium.

“Someone once told me to always ‘go where you’re welcomed.’ This is not an emotional reaction to recent events, rather an ethical decision that part of me regrets but my core knows is the right choice.”

Odoms concluded the post by thanking fans “for the opportunity to grow as a performer and for allowing me to live out a dream of sharing my gift with you.”

A member of the Maryland Army National guard, Odoms succeeded longtime Ravens’ anthem Mishael Miller, who relocated to Alabama after the 2013 season.

Odoms, a songwriter and former 911 operator who grew up in Reservoir Hill, beat out eight other finalists for the job of singing “The Star-Spangled Banner” before Ravens home games.

He initially expressed interest in the job directly to Ravens coach John Harbaugh. The two met when Harbaugh was visiting the base Odoms was stationed on in Afghanistan in February 2013.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
This thread moves fast and covers a lot of topics

Wanted to touch again that the NFL is going political. Look at who is in charge of PR.

Joe Lockhart as the executive vice president of communications and top public relations official for the National Football League says a lot about the focus of the NFL. From an earlier post, Lockhart has a 20 year history of strong ties to the Clintons and the DEMs.

NFL statements:

NFL says it will continue to get a better sense of what players are doing in community for equality, voting rights issues

Lockhart says moving forward he things league and players are "in unison" on issues of inequality and won't get distracted from that

The NFL isn’t just putting on football games, it is now a player in the progressive movement

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lockhart says moving forward he things league and players are "in unison" on issues of inequality and won't get distracted from that

Hey dumbass. You can't use your usual political playbook of calling legitimate protests about your bullshit leftism a "distraction". Your league is a distraction from life, not a genuine concern on this world.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
There is a massive effort to make the focus on:

"the right to freedom of expression on social issues"

This is a magic act trick. Distract the attention of the audience.

There is no issue regarding the players' right to express their opinions.

The issue is the players are targeting their claims of oppression on the American flag and national anthem.

The players are following the lead of Kaepernick who said:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color"

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I am really enjoying watching this unfold. My super liberal retard friends are on board. Free speech and the constitution are only important when shitting on America, American values, or our men and women in uniform. If it's supporting a conservative's views or rights, then those go out the window. Another thing that saddened me is how many of my black friends blindly support this because of color alone. (not all) They talk like it's the early 1900's and the struggle is 100% the same for them.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kudos to Joey Odoms.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sp...-story.html#nws=true

Ravens national anthem singer Joey Odoms, a combat veteran, informs team he is resigning

Joey Odoms, the combat veteran who won a competition in 2014 to become the national anthem singer at Ravens home games at M&T Bank Stadium, has resigned from his position, a team spokesperson confirmed Tuesday evening.

Odoms quit because he is upset with the fans. He agrees with the kneelers.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Both sides are mad and leaving the NFL. The league has screwed the pooch big time on this.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Well that sucks...Did you see a different interview with him or did I just mis-read what's in the article?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Kudos to Joey Odoms.

That was the impression I got from his comments.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, tough shit.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Yahoo news made be mistake this morning of posting a story titled: The NFL will defeat Trump.

4,900+ comments, mostly calling out the author and Yahoo for publishing such a load of crap.

And they wonder why Trump's mantra is... "Fake news"

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe all the kneelers will boycott the fans, quit showing up at games and practices, quit cashing those humongus paychecks and let guys who want to play have a chance.

That'll serve those ignorant buffoons in the stands right!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well that sucks...Did you see a different interview with him or did I just mis-read what's in the article?

In this article Odoms says, “The tone/actions of a large number of NFL fans in the midst of our country’s cultural crisis, have convinced me that I do not belong there,”

“I support the protest personally — I fought for that right, but I don’t like people using people like me to attack those people who are exercising their right.”

“If I express how I feel, a segment of the fanbase would attack me.”

His criticism is directed solely at the 'fans'. He's a kneeler....and a pouty one at that.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post