SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Here’s a direct link to the 2017 NFL Rulebook:

http://operations.nfl.com/medi...17-playing-rules.pdf

Contrary to the Facebook memes there isn’t anything in the Rulebook that states the players have to stand during the anthem. However, I read an article that said since 2009 the NFL had that policy.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
The NFL rule book ALREADY requires teams to stand for the Anthem!
Where did you get this information?

It's in the NFL Game Operations Manual.

“The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

“During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition..."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe the NFL or even individual teams could immediately put into effect a mandatory "stand and honor" rule right now and most fans and viewers that are in disagreement with the nonsense (myself included) would probably not be swayed that they are trying to be genuine in recognizing their mistake and still tank the season, just to drive the point home.

I can only speak for my own feelings, but it's bigger than kneeling for me now.

It's about giving money and a platform to a group of people who views and beliefs I do not agree with.

I have suddenly become completely disgusted with professional sports. The NBA jumping into this only makes it worse for me.

I think other leagues will share in America's disgust with overpaid and over opinionated athletes.

We have season tickets to the Detroit Tigers and our VP of Marketing and Sales has already been told he will not be allowed to renew the tickets if one single Tiger takes a knee next year.

posted Hide Post
Time to boycott the NFL's sponsors. We'll see who has the real power. I'm talking my own knee here and am done with them.

Sponsor list

Anheuser-Busch,
Barclaycard US,
Bose,
Bridgestone,
Campbell's Soup Company,
Castrol,
Courtyard Marriott,
Dairy Management, Inc. (Fuel Up to Play 60),
Dannon,
Extreme Networks,
X-Box,
FedEx,
Ford,
Frito-Lay,
Gatorade,
Hyundai Motor America,
Mars Snackfood,
McDonalds,
Microsoft,
Nationwide,
News America,
Nike,
Papa John's,
Pepsi,
Procter & Gamble,
Quaker,
Verizon,
Visa,
Under Armor,
USAA

Posts: 1922 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:

“The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

“During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition..."

Unfortunately there's that vague distinction between "should" and "shall/must".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Lockhart says moving forward he things league and players are "in unison" on issues of inequality and won't get distracted from that

The new demographic that the NFL is chasing after now:

Great business model for attracting sponsors.

And what do you think the difference in average household income (=Power to buy sponsors' products/services) is between the current NFL viewers being targeted by advertisers and the four groups shown above?

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Interesting article. Apparently NFL players weren’t regularly on the field during the national anthem until 2009 coincidentally when the pentagon started paying the NFL for patriotic displays.

https://www.google.com/amp/peo...rnment-payments/amp/

From the article: “Curran said NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed the practice began in 2009 and added, “As you know, the NFL has a long tradition of patriotism. Players are encouraged but not required to stand for the anthem.” “

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Report This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I can only speak for my own feelings, but it's bigger than kneeling for me now.

It's about giving money and a platform to a group of people who views and beliefs I do not agree with.

I agree. Sometimes it is difficult to do depending on the product, expenditure, or venue, but we do try to spend our time and hard earned money and resources in support of our beliefs.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Report This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:

Unfortunately there's that vague distinction between "should" and "shall/must".

And punishment is not mandatory but discretionary.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Any action the NFL takes beyond today means nothing. They had their chance to do right when it was just simply the right thing to do and they didn't. Eventually they will make a rule that players must not kneel but only to plug the leaking holes in the piggy bank.
They are commies working to hurt the culture and country that I love and will never be part of my life again.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yay!

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there will be any grass roots movements in the plethora of sports bars around the country. Will they avoid the NFL? Will people ask them to change the channel? One can hope.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Jackson NAACP asks high school players to get on board

This is getting just ridiculous.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Any action the NFL takes beyond today means nothing. They had their chance to do right when it was just simply the right thing to do and they didn't. Eventually they will make a rule that players must not kneel but only to plug the leaking holes in the piggy bank.
They are commies working to hurt the culture and country that I love and will never be part of my life again.

My guess is the NFL will take the easy way out and remove the players from the filed during the anthem.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Backlash escalates for the NFLOL

As "kneel-gate" continues, corporate America is starting to pay attention.

On Tuesday, long-time NFL sponsor Anheuser-Busch released the strongest-worded statement yet in response to the bad publicity the league has garnered between the Rice and Peterson incidents (as well as its own lackluster responses).
"We are disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season," the statement read. "We are not yet satisfied with the league's handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company culture and moral code. We have shared our concerns and expectations with the league."

And Anheuser-Busch followed Radisson, which is a sponsor of the Minnesota Vikings.

On the same day the Vikings announced that Adrian Peterson would return to practice and play this week after he was deactivated Sunday following his arrest for "reckless or negligent injury to a child," Radisson announced that it was suspending its sponsorship of the team.
"Radisson takes this matter very seriously particularly in light of our long-standing commitment to the protection of children. We are closely following the situation and effective immediately, Radisson is suspending its limited sponsorship of the Minnesota Vikings while we evaluate the facts and circumstances."

It looks like the last thing the NFL wants is heightened scrutiny of its players.

And it gets worse. Over at Yahoo News, we learn that the NFL ratings dip forces TV networks to repay advertisers:

The NFL’s television ratings decline this season is beginning to make a dent in the bottom line for major networks. Broadcasters like CBS and NBC saw sharp increases in audience deficiency units (ADUs), or “makegoods,” which are payments they must make to advertisers when ads do not receive the promised volume of impressions.
In other words, fewer people watching football means fewer eyeballs to see ads, and the networks that broadcast NFL games are paying the price.

And I'm not done yet. The Daily Caller writes that "DirectTV Might Be Offering Angry Customers Refunds Over NFL Protests":

DirecTV is willing to give some of its customers a refund if they want to cancel their subscriptions to NFL games following anger over the protests, according to a Tuesday Wall Street Journal report.
A few customer service representatives told The WSJ that they have been honoring cancellation requests if a customer called them to cancel their Sunday Ticket package of NFL games, while other representatives offered a different perspective on how they were allowed to handle cancellation requests.

You surely have the right to free speech, but you do not have the right to live without the consequences of your actions.

Link

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Why is AP part of that story? He plays for the Saints.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

The moment I see any of the college players from the couple of teams I care to watch do this nonsense will be the last I watch of them as well. More time for SIGForum and the NHL that one of my daughters seems to like better anyway. Heck, I may even watch some NASCAR.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Just play football.

What a concept !

Tell Goodell and Lockhart that.
Blow it out your ass Art! If your crew of convicts and morons had simply taken the field and stood silently during the national anthem, no political message would have been sent. You and your cast of clowns failed your customers, and this letter doesn't change that reality one bit. It does however exhibit that you know just how badly you screwed up.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
At least the Steelers didn't pull a Rockettes routine before their game, like the Jets.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

HS students are still impressionable and subject to PARENT guidance.

Very different from independent decision of a grown, very well paid "adult" in the NFL.

Keep your frickin hands of my kids. Ain't none of your friggin business.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post