SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Derek Chauvin Trial
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Derek Chauvin Trial Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Mark Levin pontificates that Chauvin was never going to walk, the jury should have been sequestered, and the trial should never have been held where it was. These are the least offensive observations he offered.

But he does note there is a silver lining, with this verdict, the left now has demonstrated a respect for the legal system and the rule of law.

Roll Eyes x one million

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8365 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Para, I've been thinking about the post you referenced since the verdict was released. I glance at the news headlines, but don't dive in and certainly don't watch any news platforms.

You made a lot of good points, but one of the best was just be happy. We are seeing things many of us never imagined we would and there isn't much we can do. Sadly, things are going to get worse, but are still good in a lot of ways. We should spend our time enjoying the last bit of "normalcy" we have left.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I've reached a point where I realize that I can't control what's beyond my 3 foot square, like Para I haven't watched the news since November, and I don't care if I do again. I'm watching the decline around me, and controlling what I can in my life. I refuse to be woke, PC, wear a mask, all the horsehit. I still believe in right and wrong, God and country, two genders, hard work and calling a spade a spade. I may be all the things every little millennial asshole thinks, racist, sexist, toxic, islamaphobic, clinging to my guns, religion and family.

In the end Derek Chauvin got screwed and he's the sacrificial lamb for the lunacy in power now. Would I have done things as he did, NO! But did it reach Murder, NO! Sad, I hope his appeal prevails.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I wonder how soon before the trial began did the "jury" decide he was guilty.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
karma's a bitch. when the jury someday are faced with a judgement upon them, let them know the anguish of being considered guilty even if they are in fact not. and let the ultimate judge send them where they have sent this officer.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I wonder how soon before the trial began did the "jury" decide he was guilty.
About a year ago. As the jury was being selected, they released "profiles" of the selected jurors. I only read the profiles of the first six or so, but every single one of them stated that they either supported the BLM "movement," organization, or both. At that moment, I knew the trial was just a formality.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’m not going down without a fight. I’ll be damned if I sit idly by and let these freaks win.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7963 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Mark Levin pontificates that Chauvin was never going to walk, the jury should have been sequestered, and the trial should never have been held where it was. These are the least offensive observations he offered.

But he does note there is a silver lining, with this verdict, the left now has demonstrated a respect for the legal system and the rule of law.

Roll Eyes x one million

All the Left has learned is with enough force, destruction and threats, the justice system can be manipulated. Look for more of the same more frequently.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29733 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
All the Left has learned is with enough force, destruction and threats, the justice system can be manipulated. Look for more of the same more frequently.

This 100%. If people really think giving the mob a sacrificial lamb will placate them, they are in for a rude awakening. To the mob (and left-wing politicians), the sacrificial lamb was nothing but a taste of blood in the water. They now know that threats, riots, and violence get them what they want. This is only the beginning. Mark my words.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I’m not going down without a fight. I’ll be damned if I sit idly by and let these freaks win.
I have to ask- what will you do? Specifically, what will you do? Get yourself arrested? That's about it. How does that stop them from "winning"? All you'd manage to do is damage yourself and your family.

Once again, you cannot fix the world and, as I said, you let me know when the party starts and I'll be there with bells on, but do you know how very, very far this nation would have to sink to experience a civil war? The vastness of this country- among other things- mitigates against such an occurrence. And lacking a general, nationwide conflict, what could you as an individual do? That's a harsh reality, but reality it is.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingedMedic:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

This 100%. If people really think giving the mob a sacrificial lamb will placate them, they are in for a rude awakening. To the mob (and left-wing politicians), the sacrificial lamb was nothing but a taste of blood in the water. They now know that threats, riots, and violence get them what they want. This is only the beginning. Mark my words.

My sentiments exactly ... WingedMedic. You pegged it, Pally.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 186 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, it used to be that they dealt with heretics by stacking wood in the town square and burning the blasphemers at the stake.

Now days, the heretics get doxxed and cancelled. However they go about it, they will cast out the unbelievers, all the while proclaiming the absolute and unquestionable righteousness of their actions and beliefs. Above all- above even their being an utter pox on humanity- leftists are the ultimate hypocrites. All the things they feel- all the rage and hatred- they project that onto all the heretics and demons who don't accept their doctrine, and they must rid the world of we vile scum. Hypocrites. None finer.

This pretty much sums up the left since (at least) 2008 when the mask of bipartisanship fell off.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
This was a sentence looking for a trial

Para- think you might find Albert thought provoking

https://albertmohler.com/2021/...21?mc_cid=d0f64ccdd5

PART II
Do We Really Believe in the American Project and the Rule of Law? The Importance of Respecting American Courts and Our System of Justice
But Derek Chauvin was found guilty and the jury did not deliberate as long as might have been expected in a similar case with the complexity of the facts and also the importance of the crimes. But the fact that the jury didn't deliberate long probably had more to do with the fact that in the course of this particular trial, they were presented with what the jury had indicated was overwhelming evidence. What are we talking about here? What we're talking about in the first place, video evidence.

But here's where Christians thinking about the achievement of the rule of law and the application of justice understand that video is not enough. It turns out to be very important in this trial, but it is not on its own enough. And the reason for that is video can represent and it can misrepresent. Confusion over this can be very dangerous.

For example, one person in a tweet that got a great deal of attention months ago protested the very necessity of the trial saying, "So pathetic that there's a trial to prove that Derek Chauvin killed George Floyd when there is video of him doing so." Again, the tweet was straightforward. "So pathetic that there a trial to prove that Derek Chauvin killed George Floyd when there is video of him doing so." But a video is not a trial. A video is not a jury. A video is not the opportunity to argue for or against moral or legal responsibility.

It did become critical evidence, uncontested that it was, but we have to understand that the trial was not something that was an unnecessary complication in the prosecution of this case. The trial is the great representation of the rule of law, where you find convictions without a trial, you find autocracy, a totalitarian government. You see the absence of the rule of law. Now what we saw take place in the trial of Derek Chauvin represents the fact that the video was important, but the video is not enough. Video comes from only one or if there are multiple videos, several perspectives. The video is not the same as being there. And of course, we're also living in a time when videos can be altered.

Now, in the case of the videos that had to do with this trial, there was no accusation that they were altered, but they were not in themselves enough. In the course of the trial it is more likely that the key issue weighed by the jury and coming to the guilty verdicts in this case had to do more with the testimony that was revealed in the trial than the video itself. The testimony did add to the evidence of the video, but the reality is that in legal terms, the testimony became nearly overwhelming.

Most importantly, here, you had the fact that something extremely unusual in the history of American law took place. It's not unprecedented, but it was very unusual. And that is that in this case, it may well be that the most important and compelling testimony against him came from the police chief of Minneapolis. It was the police chief who offered extensive testimony about the fact that Derek Chauvin was not following the guidelines and the policies of the Minneapolis police. There was other expert testimony and of course the defendant had the right to offer a defense. It's also interesting that he exercised his Fifth Amendment right not to testify against himself and he did not serve as a witness. He did not speak at his own trial.

That in itself according to the rule of law is not an indication of guilt or have a not guilty condition. That is not the case when it comes to invoking one's Fifth Amendment right. Because after all, that Fifth Amendment right is not to protect the guilty. It is to protect all citizens from being put in a position where there could be testimony that could invoke criminal charges. But what happened yesterday in Minneapolis is not the end of this story. And that again indicates the reality of the rule of law. There is in the rule of law in the American legal system, and opportunity for an appeal of a conviction. And of course, that appellate process will also come after sentencing and that sentencing hearing is not scheduled for another eight weeks after yesterday's conviction.

Now here's what's important for Americans if we are committed to the rule of law. And as Christians we understand this is not just about an orderly society. It is about the achievement of justice. If we are honoring the rule of law, that it means at all, Americans understand that what took place yesterday was the result of a legitimate court process that involved a verdict handed down by a jury of fellow citizens, a jury of the defendant's peers. This means that this jury and thus the court has come to a determination not only that these crimes were alleged, but these crimes as crimes had taken place and are now a matter of the legal record of the American people.

It also means that the American people have to understand all of us that as volatile as many of these issues are, the rule of law only works in a society of peace, in a society of order and mutual respect. And this means that even as Americans may disagree on any number of issues even related to this trial at this point. What is incumbent upon all American citizens and all people of goodwill is to respect the verdict of the court and to respect the process of the rule of law.

No doubt there will be further developments. There will be more hearings even related to this case and this trial that will be broadcasted live with all Americans able to watch. But we also need right now to pray for our nation. We need to pray for the city of Minneapolis. We need to pray for the state of Minnesota. We need to pray for the entire United States of America, because what we are engaged in right now is a great test as to whether we really believe in the American project, in the American constitutional order and in the rule of law. And the rule of law, let us remind ourselves applies not only in the courtroom, but in our neighborhoods and on the streets.

If the rule of law operates anywhere, it has to operate everywhere.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
what will you do?

Difficult question. I have become active in politics supporting Republican candidates. I campaigned for a year to get Donald Trump and Daniel Gade elected in Virginia during the Nov 2020 elections. We lost.

I am involved now in selecting Virginia REP candidates for the 2021 state elections including Governor.

Also support my daughter who is homeschooling her kids because Virginia public schools suck with their leftist agenda emphasis. Frequently reminding my kids and grandkids how special our country is and how we got to this point. Home schooling is growing in our county and is very well organized.

With a small group of friends we keep spreading the message of truth and pointing out how the leftists lie and cheat. We try to reach conservatives, swing voters, and even liberals.

It is amazing how ill informed most voters are. From a scale of 1 to 10, most people are at 1 or 2. People who read the SIGforum Lounge are typically at 7 or higher. (just making numbers up to make a general point). A lot of this is driven by how much time one has to discover the truth given the constant misinformation fed to us by media.

I read a few books about the Revolutionary War and what George Washington and so many others went through during those times. It is humbling to read of their sacrifices and desperation. "The Glorious Cause" by Jeff Shaara is a good one. For books that are especially insightful I buy several copies and pass them to friends and relatives.

Our small local group recruits and supports candidates for the local school board. We helped to organize a few hundred people to show up at a County Board of Supervisors meeting to vote on a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary policy for our county. The BoS passed that policy.

One person can't control the big outcome. All an individual can do is try to push things in the right direction and expand their sphere of influence however they can.

May not be much, and may not have much impact. But this is what I do as an individual.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I have to ask- what will you do? Specifically, what will you do? Get yourself arrested? That's about it. How does that stop them from "winning"? All you'd manage to do is damage yourself and your family.

Once again, you cannot fix the world and, as I said, you let me know when the party starts and I'll be there with bells on, but do you know how very, very far this nation would have to sink to experience a civil war? The vastness of this country- among other things- mitigates against such an occurrence. And lacking a general, nationwide conflict, what could you as an individual do? That's a harsh reality, but reality it is.

I have adopted an attitude. Wake me when the shooting starts.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29733 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Aaand here comes the microscope up the sphincter:
Attorney General Merrick Garland announces probe of Minneapolis Police Department after Chauvin conviction

Get ready for a consent decree MPD.
quote:
“The investigation I am announcing today will assess whether the Minneapolis Police Department engages in a pattern or practice of using excessive force, including during protests,” Garland said during a news conference.
Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thank you sdy for your great contributions here and for what your commitment is to your country. You say it might not be much. But it is a a lot. You have my respect and thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19245 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Aaand here comes the microscope up the sphincter:
Attorney General Merrick Garland announces probe of Minneapolis Police Department after Chauvin conviction

Get ready for a consent decree MPD.

If half the force quit, and Minneapolis descended into chaos like what Chicago is, people will eventually understand what is going on. Or do not quit, just have a hands off policing policy, collect your paycheck and let the city burn.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The left is cheating us out of elections. They are ignoring rule of law in criminal judgements. They encourage riots with a leftist basis but treat protests with a right basis as terrorism. They clamp down on socio-economic activity under the guise of false health pretenses.

When do we start to push back? I agree that one person alone will not change anything. But when do we see a collective right start to form and push back? The time for talking seems to be nearing an end. When the time for action comes, will we stand together or just accept the new normal?

I actually don't see the end game as end of the US. The end game seems to be a global empire dominated by the left, including PRC. The destruction of the US seems to be a step toward that end game with leftist governments already colluding.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Nothing shocking, but it does highlight the thinking of the left.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post