SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    There has to be a better way to prepare for a colonoscopy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There has to be a better way to prepare for a colonoscopy Login/Join 
Life's a Dance
Picture of daoliver
posted Hide Post
I too have Crohn's I think my final count was 5 before they took colon out. Never have to worry about those any more. That was over a three year term from diagnosed to surgery.

quote:
Originally posted by cas:
My father has Crohn's disease, so he gets them a lot. In years past, several times a year. What he says matches the above, they've improved a great deal. When he started with them, they were doing them with him wide awake, watching it all on the tv. Eek

I’ll be your Huckleberry
SP2022, G27, 870P

Posts: 505 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
When getting ready for my last one (#4) over a year ago, I started a thread here asking what could be done to improve the liquid taste. Consensus was Crystal Light which I did indeed try. Better but not much... yech I hate the prep. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My mother had a colostomy reverses a few years ago.

I won the opportunity to assist, of the three children.

8 ounce colonoscopy bag. A gallon of clean out juice to drink in an hour. Or something close enough to that to get my mathematical point across...

I have seen some nasty stuff. I didn’t even know that level of literal shit-storm was imaginable.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m gonna be 44 this year and my doc hasn’t brought it up. What age should I expect to start this fun ?

Posts: 4978 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun part was after my procedure when nurse told me if I had to fart, just let it rip.

I did and so did the other patients around me.

Sounded like the camp fire scene in "Blazing Saddles".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Two weeks till my 1st......sounds luvly Roll Eyes

Oooh! A virgin!

Don't worry, it is every bit as bad as it is made out to be. I've had 3, and the prep is by far the worst of it. For what ever reason, I always get the big jugs that I have to force down my throat every 15 minutes. On the other hand, I got pretty good at timing how long it takes for it to work through my system. Smile

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5014 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the drugs. When I wake up, I’m happy and horny. My wife had to stop me from squeezing the nurses boobs. If I ever get another one, I’m asking for handcuffs.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1141 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
I’m gonna be 44 this year and my doc hasn’t brought it up. What age should I expect to start this fun ?

Average risk folks start at age 50 and then every 5 years thereafter.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Fun part was after my procedure when nurse told me if I had to fart, just let it rip.

I did and so did the other patients around me.

Sounded like the camp fire scene in "Blazing Saddles".

Yup! Was highly encouraged with indications I wouldn't be released until I passed gas. LOL The walls shook and the curtains fluttered! hahahahahaha

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My last colonoscopy saved my life. I had stage 3 rectal cancer and the scope found it.

Just do it!! It's not pleasant but it can save your life.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
My 2017 colonoscopy prep was orders of magnitude better than my 1997 colonoscopy prep, my 2009 colorectal surgery prep, and my 2013 colorectal surgery prep. Two examples:
  • Violence / Force: The 1997 prep should've come with DIY instructions for mounting a seatbelt to your toilet. 2017 was less violent than Taco Bell.
  • Volume of liquid: 1997 was a gallon of fluid that you had to chug a shot every 10 minutes. 2017 was 64 oz of Gatorade with two little cough syrup sized bottles of laxative dumped in.

Additionally, the 2017 colonoscopy sedation drug is much better. I was waking up while being wheeled on the gurney between the colonoscopy exam room and the recovery room.

• +1 for the same 2017 experience ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
    Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I put mine off, until the doc said I must at 59. Good thing, because I had a cancerous polyp that would have been a real problem, had I waited another year.

I prepared with Gatorade/Miralax, plus a laxative. Didn't think it was as bad as others had led me to believe.

During the procedure, I didn't go under as they said I would, but enjoyed watching it on TV. I was surprised to see how clean and pink it was. When he cut off the polyp, I was surprised that it didn't bleed a bit. Doc explained that the loop actually cauterized the cut, who knew?

Another this year, and I am ready, with no apprehension.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Here's a trick guys; drink the "cleanser" with a straw and then chase it with a gulp or two of Gatorade. Using a straw by-passes the taste buds on the tongue, for the most part, making the laxative less obnoxious

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 823 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Had my Colonoscopy last week. Drank the full jug of that Golytly and it took me hours to get it down.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ruger357
    posted Hide Post
    Refuse to have one.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8019 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
    Picture of terma-nator
    posted Hide Post

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
    Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    I saw my GP about a week ago, and she noted that I was due for a colonoscopy. I told her that I wasn’t going to have another. She didn’t fuss at all. Just gave me a poop kit, and said that they’re much better now than a few years ago.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9476 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    At age 54 they they found 4 pylops, 3 precancerous. Now I am on the every 3 years plan . I have seen guys die of colon cancer. The prep is truly nothing. The proceedure even less.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Res ipsa loquitur
    Picture of BB61
    posted Hide Post
    I should have bought a cushioned seat for tonight’s performance.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Man Once
    Child Twice
    posted Hide Post
    There is no dignity left after the prep and the expelling of the gas afterwards.
    During my third colonoscopy they found that I had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. Lucky for me. At least until it returns. Oh well, I’ll deal with it then.
    I got a call from my GI guys office last week wanting to schedule my next one. It’s been a year. I need to call them back and remind them that he said I was on the every 2 year plan now. He must not have charted it.
    I have friends who refuse to get it done. I guess they don’t want a hose up their keester. I sure don’t but I wonder where would I be now without having it done. But it is an excellent diagnostic procedure.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post