SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    There has to be a better way to prepare for a colonoscopy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There has to be a better way to prepare for a colonoscopy Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I had my first colonoscopy last year. Everything checked out fine and I had a nice surprise! While doing the exam, they found a blue Hot Wheels Camaro that I lost when I was six! Well preserved and in great shape - oh happy day! Should fetch a pretty penny on Ebay.

Funny! I’d bet that your doc got a laugh out of that too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9472 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to my 5-year checkup next year; had a "tubular adenoma" on my last one. That's what condemned me to colonoscopy every 5 years. I find being on the patient side of the doctor-patient relationship to be interesting...if the physician reads the chart ahead of time and finds out I'm a retired physician, I usually get a little more personal treatment...but still I get the colonoscopy, and in my case now cystoscopy every 6 months. Good thing about that is there's no prep.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Two weeks till my 1st......sounds luvly Roll Eyes

UPDATE:
Done yesterday..........everything went smoooth as ......silk.

No issues---see ya in 10 years.

As for all the various reports of "ballistic" prep.......mild here.
Though drinking that gallon of prep was significantly less fun than my college chugging days!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Fun part was after my procedure when nurse told me if I had to fart, just let it rip.

I did and so did the other patients around me.

Sounded like the camp fire scene in "Blazing Saddles".

Yup! Was highly encouraged with indications I wouldn't be released until I passed gas. LOL The walls shook and the curtains fluttered! hahahahahaha

The orderly who wheeled me out of the colonoscopy procedure hadn't even completed telling me I had to pass gas before they would let me out, when I let her rip. Good to go!

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Due to family history, I’ve had eight (every three years since I turned 40). Just benign polyps here and there over the years, but no matter how unpleasant the prep solution, it’s better than dying of colon cancer at 57 like my mom did.

Posts: 4568 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I had my forth one this past week (I thought it was my third but Mrs. Angus corrected me).

Maybe I'm getting used to it but I didn't think the prep was all that bad this time. Day of the procedure is easy. I was back home at 9:30 AM.

They will see my ass again in 2 years! (pun intended)

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6167 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
I had my forth one this past week (I thought it was my third but Mrs. Angus corrected me).

Maybe I'm getting used to it but I didn't think the prep was all that bad this time. Day of the procedure is easy. I was back home at 9:30 AM.

My doctor called this week and told me on the five year plan. I just put a reminder in my iPad’s calendar.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:

My doctor called this week and told me on the five year plan. I just put a reminder in my iPad’s calendar.

I'm hoping I can get on a 5 year plan. I have a strong family history of colon cancer on my Dad's side and I have had multiple, multiple polyps removed over the years. Three of those have been pre-cancerous.

I've made my peace at going every other year.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6167 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
What ever you take just hang out close to the john.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I realize coverage may vary by company but is this covered by insurance? Like preventive care?

If you have an Obamacare approved health insurance plan, colonoscopies are "free" (meaning priced in) unless polyps are discovered and removed.

Back to the specific topic, this "SUPREP BOWEL PREP KIT" is much preferable to a gallon of glop. The SUPREP takes effect within minutes and two rolls of toilet paper are recommended. The modern prep is really not that bad, it's the 5 AM doit again bottle that I am staring at with enmity. Smile (That's usually when I go to sleep.)

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
What ever you take just hang out close to the john.

I found it to be the complete opposite. But then, I was rather OCD about the whole affair. Started my fasting a day early. Reveled in pure empty hunger, the joy in a bowl of broth with Saltines.

The hardest part was the day-of thirst. Do NOT choose an afternoon photo shoot.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I go for my third one in December.

Let me tell you the prep is ok compared to the first one I had done about 15 years ago with only nitrous oxide gas. Wife said she herd my screams two rooms over. Talk about a pain in the Ass

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once worked in a non medical capacity at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Hearing from docs and others about prevalence of colon cancer in the population had an influence on me. No reluctance towards exams here. No history of colon cancer on either side of my family. Yet, my first exam in my early 50s revealed a couple of polyps. Subsequent exams revealed addl finds. No cancer. Needless to say, I don’t miss scheduled procedures.

Don’t procrastinate about exams!

Posts: 1623 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
I was interesting in the Cologuard home kit, and while the kit itself would be covered by my insurance, the testing lab price (which is NOT covered) would be around $600+ out of pocket.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3356 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:
I was interesting in the Cologuard home kit, and while the kit itself would be covered by my insurance, the testing lab price (which is NOT covered) would be around $600+ out of pocket.

You might want to double check that. My insurance kicked it back too. I called them to inquire and they told me to resubmit. Paid.

I have Allegiance.

For those getting scopes, ask for Moviprep. Easy to take and it'll make you clean as a whistle for a quick and easy exam.

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep and the test is not as good at detection. Read the limitations.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

If you have no personal or family history, Cologuard is an adequate alternative. Otherwise, get a scope.

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cologuard may produce false negative or false positive results. A false positive result occurs when Cologuard produces a positive result, even though a colonoscopy will not find cancer or precancerous polyps. A false negative result occurs when Cologuard does not detect a precancerous polyp or colorectal cancer even when a colonoscopy identifies the positive result.

In addtion, the test is suggested every three years. A colonoscopy with no polyps results in a followup in ten years.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
quote:

If you have no personal or family history, Cologuard is an adequate alternative. Otherwise, get a scope.

My physician felt it was totally appropriate for my situation. Insurance paid for it.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cologuard may produce false negative or false positive results. A false positive result occurs when Cologuard produces a positive result, even though a colonoscopy will not find cancer or precancerous polyps. A false negative result occurs when Cologuard does not detect a precancerous polyp or colorectal cancer even when a colonoscopy identifies the positive result.

In addtion, the test is suggested every three years. A colonoscopy with no polyps results in a followup in ten years.

I'm not going to argue that a scope is a better alternative, but without a personal or family history, Cologuard is good enough.

And, while a scope may be better, they are not perfect either. There are a whole lot of polyps that get missed with scopes, even with very well trained and experienced operators.

Trust me, I've seen the inside of thousands of peoples' colons.