SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    There has to be a better way to prepare for a colonoscopy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There has to be a better way to prepare for a colonoscopy Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I’d rather potentially die from undetected cancer because I’m afraid of a possibily uncomfortable test which could detect it.

NOT.

But it’s a free country so if you want to roll those dice and they come up Snake Eyes, you’ll get the zero sympathy card.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Question...is there a pressing need to rush to a colonoscopy if there really isn't any family history on the male side of the family. Mother had breast cancer in 1978 and has been cancer free for 40 years. My brother and I are sure to keel over from a heart attack before the "Big C" takes a hold of us. Unfortunately cardiovascular is the history of the males in our family...

Thoughts...opinions??

Of course my best course of action is to ask my PCP...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I had to drink these two small 10oz bottles of lemonade and salt flavor stuff and take 2 laxatives, after that it was a “blast”

Archerman

Posts: 2500 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
With my family history, including finding pollops in me, I go every 3 years. Drinking the liquid is a small price to pay.

Best advice is soft toilet paper!

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3944 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Question...is there a pressing need to rush to a colonoscopy if there really isn't any family history on the male side of the family.

Rushing is 45 just because it sounds fun. 55 and not making a visit yet is procrastinating, IMHO.

Look at it like this. Similar to the guidelines moving around for screening mammograms or PSA tests, the guiding bodies tend to do a decent job of balancing out positives of early detection and treatment with the negatives of the (relatively minor) risk of the procedures coupled with the risks of false positives.

I'm not saying the guidelines are always 100% spot on, but in this case I think the recent science and completely manageable treatment options lend themselves to wanting to discover issues ASAP, while treatment is still easy, let alone possible.

YMMV and it's an individual decision of course, but it also affects friends and family around you if you choose poorly and lose that gamble. We have a very dear friend who is 67 and simply refuses to have a mammogram. Ever. She's been lucky so far and I hope she continues, but it's going to suck for us and many others if she's wrong.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I’m back. One 5mm polyp that was removed that the doc thinks is benign. It will be tested of course.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I feel for you, Brother. Every 5 years for me. I don't mind the procedure, but hate the prep!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
Had two them already, get to go every five years. Pre cancerous Polyps found, I would gladly do it as many times as needed to prevent from getting cancer.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jac1304:
Had two them already, get to go every five years. Pre cancerous Polyps found, I would gladly do it as many times as needed to prevent from getting cancer.

I watched my FIL and MIL die from cancer. I completely agree.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
63 and never had one. No cancer in my family of any kind that I am aware of.
Question.
I realize coverage may vary by company but is this covered by insurance? Like preventive care? Does, generally speaking, your deductible apply or not.
It's been years since I met my deductible.

EDIT to add.
Also curious about... a colonoscopy only covers about 1/4 of your intestines. Is the small intestine just not problematic like the large is?

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
My prep last year was horrible. The poster that suggested a seatbelt for the toilet wasn’t kidding. I’m pretty sure that somehow the water I drank multiplied times ten inside of me. Fortunately my follow up scope was the other end so it didn’t require prep and I got the good sleep.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Question.
I realize coverage may vary by company but is this covered by insurance? Like preventive care? Does, generally speaking, your deductible apply or not.

EDIT to add.
Also curious about... a colonoscopy only covers about 1/4 of your intestines. Is the small intestine just not problematic like the large is?
insurance covered most of mine.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question.

EDIT to add.

Our insurance paid 100 percent for it being preventative screening.

There seems to be a whole lot more cases of cancer in the colon than small intestine though in my case I had cancerous carcinoid tumor (which I never heard of before) in my small intestine that was discovered after I developed a blockage in my small intestine that was removed via small intestine resection. There are ways to examine the small intestine such as endoscopy though I have never read of any routine screening of the small intestine.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lahilljack
posted Hide Post
Had my very first one couple months ago (age 63). 2 days before I kept my diet on liquids which I think helped. Drank Gatordade/Poweraid in lemon lime with the mixture. Baby wipes can be very helpful. 4 precancerous polyps removed (benign) and Doc said see ya in 3 yrs. My out of pocket cost was less than $62, which was for the pathology testing. Insurance covered doc and hospital.

Mike

Posts: 692 | Location: Adams County, Ohio | Registered: June 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I celebrated tonight with tri-tip steak, cucumber salad with rice and cinnamon bun bread pudding. I feel much better all around.

No protection picture as I decided not to carry during the time my doctor said I should not drive.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
I celebrated tonight with tri-tip steak, cucumber salad with rice and cinnamon bun bread pudding. I feel much better all around.

No protection picture as I decided not to carry during the time my doctor said I should not drive.

Sounds delicious. I hope your stomach handles it okay this quickly after the procedure. It was suggested to me that I avoid anything greasy, spicy or red meet for a day or two after.

Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
You think 1 is bad, try having 3 egds, 3 pill cam studys and 2 colonoscopys in just a little over a year like me. Problems started 2 years ago when I developed severe anemia and low hemoglobin in the span of a few months- no prior history. They suspect a slow lower gi bleed/ulcer of some sort but have not found anything abnormal from all the tests other than a mild/moderate hiatal hernia. Felt good the last 6 months but recently my levels have dropped again. Back on iron pills- more tests in 2 weeks.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3488 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I had my first colonoscopy last year. Everything checked out fine and I had a nice surprise! While doing the exam, they found a blue Hot Wheels Camaro that I lost when I was six! Well preserved and in great shape - oh happy day! Should fetch a pretty penny on Ebay.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I had my first colonoscopy last year. Everything checked out fine and I had a nice surprise! While doing the exam, they found a blue Hot Wheels Camaro that I lost when I was six! Well preserved and in great shape - oh happy day! Should fetch a pretty penny on Ebay.
Eek

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Question.

I think a lot depends on your insurance and how the procedure is coded.

When I had mine last December, I also had an endoscopy - scopes at both ends yea... Didn't get a bill until mid February. It was less than $150 out of my pocket (that's a fair amount less than my bill for a sprained ankle visit to an urgent care facility a couple of years ago - I'm still ticked about that).

Posts: 1820 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post