SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kim Gardner Confiscates McCloskey's AR-15
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kim Gardner Confiscates McCloskey's AR-15 Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
Don't get me wrong, I don't like guns being confiscated. So I am not sticking up for the gun grabbers. I also have a hard time conveying my thoughts into words.

I know the answer, disobey the orders. There is an obligation to do the right and moral thing.

Honestly, what happens to a cop that refuses orders? Does he get demoted? Fired? What are the repercussions? Has anyone in law enforcement been in this position?

Sadly, if a refusal took place, I could see this not going in law enforcements favor. Politicians are to greedy to make a name for themselves.

We have already seen activist judges disregarding the law during the election, so I have little faith in them regarding any gun laws.

You spend years on the force being the best role model and cop, then some jerk whisks away everything you have worked hard for and you are left with nothing. All because the right and moral thing was done and some politician has an agenda.

That is the risk one takes working for govt. when that govt. is trending tyrannical. At some point we all have to choose liberty for others or there will be none left for ourselves. Easy for me to say? Well, that is only because I placed myself as far away from tyrants as possible.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29600 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its easy to armchair quarterback until your in that position.

I WAS in that position and I sacrificed everything to do what was right. I refused to follow illegal orders and paid the price.

But, in the end it cost my superiors everything.

If I could do it, so can they.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34073 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:

I WAS in that position and I sacrificed everything to do what was right. I refused to follow illegal orders and paid the price.

This sounds like an interesting story. Too bad the details are probably not appropriate for publication.

Thank you for stepping up and doing the right thing. Too bad your superiors didn’t. Wonder what lessons they took from the experience...

Posts: 6868 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thats terrible. I am glad you had conviction to do that, not everyone has.

Without knowing the situation, to me a rhetorical question comes to mind. Why werent you rewarded for doing the right thing? I guess in the end to many people were involved, to many heads would roll.

I am just frustrated over the entire double standards and dishonesty from people who are supposed to know better.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3856 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

This sounds like an interesting story. Too bad the details are probably not appropriate for publication.

Thank you for stepping up and doing the right thing. Too bad your superiors didn’t. Wonder what lessons they took from the experience...

Marzy taught them a lesson. Ironic and appropriate. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8307 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Appropriate comment Ripley! Those that have been on the forum awhile are familiar with it and it made national news also a few years back. Mars done GOOD! REAL GOOD!!!

Posts: 1198 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
^^^^ Appropriate comment Ripley! Those that have been on the forum awhile are familiar with it and it made national news also a few years back. Mars done GOOD! REAL GOOD!!!

I've been around awhile here but don't recall this. Maybe its my age... dunno. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16143 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
A Cliff Notes version.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31365 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
A Cliff Notes version.

Ah. Thanks. I certainly recall the incident but not Marzy's brush with it.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16143 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Marzy,
Can you move to Baltimore? We got a teaching scandal up here...

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I met Mark McCloskey last night. He spoke at our St. Louis County Central Committee meeting. He is running for Senate. He did a good job. I also like Eric Schmitt.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23932 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
He is running for Senate.

https://www.mccloskeyforsenate.com/issues

Seems like he's got the right stuff.

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
^^^^

He certainly has a well-done website for having officially announced his candidacy less than a month ago.

The starting field for this election looks like it will be huge. It will be interesting to see how it narrows down as time passes.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The starting field for this election looks like it will be huge...

Yep. So far I'm supporting "Anyone BUT Greitens."

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23932 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
St. Louis gun-waving couple pleads guilty to misdemeanors

JIM SALTER
Thu, June 17, 2021, 2:58 PM·3 min read

ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis couple who gained notoriety for pointing guns at social justice demonstrators last year pleaded guilty Thursday to misdemeanor charges and agreed to give up the weapons they used during the confrontation.

Patricia McCloskey pleaded guilty to misdemeanor harassment and was fined $2,000. Her husband, Mark McCloskey, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor fourth-degree assault and was fined $750.

When several hundred demonstrators marched past their home in June of 2020, the couple waved weapons at them. They claimed the protesters were trespassing and that they feared for their safety.

The McCloskeys, both of them lawyers in their 60s, wore blue blazers and spoke calmly in answering questions from Judge David Mason during Thursday’s hearing. Mason asked Mark McCloskey if he acknowledged that his actions put people at risk of personal injury. He replied, “I sure did your honor.”

Mark McCloskey, who announced in May that he was running for a U.S. Senate seat in Missouri, was unapologetic after the hearing.

“I’d do it again," he said from the courthouse steps in downtown St. Louis. "Any time the mob approaches me, I’ll do what I can to put them in imminent threat of physical injury because that’s what kept them from destroying my house and my family.”

The McCloskeys' defense lawyer, Joel Schwartz, said after the hearing the couple had hoped to raise money by donating Mark’s rifle to charity, but acknowledged that it was an unusual request.

Because the charges are misdemeanors, the McCloskeys do not face the possibility of losing their law licenses and can continue to own firearms.

On the courthouse steps after the hearing, special prosecutor Richard Callahan said the misdemeanor plea was reasonable noting the McCloskeys called the police, no shots were fired and no one was hurt.

“But I think that their conduct was a little unreasonable in the end,” he said. "I don’t think people should view this case as some type of betrayal or assault on the Second Amendment. We still have the Second Amendment rights. It’s just that the Second Amendment does not permit unreasonable conduct.”

The June 28, 2020, protests came weeks after George Floyd's death under a Minneapolis police officer's knee. Mark McCloskey emerged with an AR-15-style rifle, and Patricia McCloskey waved a semiautomatic pistol, according to the indictment. Cellphone video captured the confrontation. No shots were fired and no one was hurt.

The McCloskeys were indicted by a grand jury in October on felony charges of unlawful use of a weapon and evidence tampering. Callahan later amended the charges to give jurors the alternative of convictions of misdemeanor harassment instead of the weapons charge. Under that alternative, the evidence tampering count would be dropped.

An investigation by St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner’s office led to the initial indictments — and harsh backlash from several Republican leaders. Then-President Donald Trump spoke out in defense of the couple, whose newfound celebrity earned them an appearance via video at the Republican National Convention.

Republican Missouri Gov. Mike Parson has said that if the McCloskeys are convicted, he’d pardon them. A spokeswoman for Parson didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment after the hearing.

Callahan, a longtime judge and former U.S. attorney, was appointed special prosecutor after a judge in December ruled that Gardner created an appearance of impropriety by mentioning the McCloskey case in fundraising emails before the August Democratic primary. Gardner went on to win reelection.

https://news.yahoo.com/st-loui...ouple-185842012.html

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
why the plea deal? didn't the governor say he would pardon any conviction?

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
St. Louis gun-waving couple pleads guilty to misdemeanors

JIM SALTER
Thu, June 17, 2021, 2:58 PM·3 min read

ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis couple who gained notoriety for pointing guns at social justice demonstrators last year pleaded guilty Thursday to misdemeanor charges and agreed to give up the weapons they used during the confrontation.

Patricia McCloskey pleaded guilty to misdemeanor harassment and was fined $2,000. Her husband, Mark McCloskey, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor fourth-degree assault and was fined $750.

When several hundred demonstrators marched past their home in June of 2020, the couple waved weapons at them. They claimed the protesters were trespassing and that they feared for their safety.

The McCloskeys, both of them lawyers in their 60s, wore blue blazers and spoke calmly in answering questions from Judge David Mason during Thursday’s hearing. Mason asked Mark McCloskey if he acknowledged that his actions put people at risk of personal injury. He replied, “I sure did your honor.”

Mark McCloskey, who announced in May that he was running for a U.S. Senate seat in Missouri, was unapologetic after the hearing.

“I’d do it again," he said from the courthouse steps in downtown St. Louis. "Any time the mob approaches me, I’ll do what I can to put them in imminent threat of physical injury because that’s what kept them from destroying my house and my family.”

The McCloskeys' defense lawyer, Joel Schwartz, said after the hearing the couple had hoped to raise money by donating Mark’s rifle to charity, but acknowledged that it was an unusual request.

Because the charges are misdemeanors, the McCloskeys do not face the possibility of losing their law licenses and can continue to own firearms.

On the courthouse steps after the hearing, special prosecutor Richard Callahan said the misdemeanor plea was reasonable noting the McCloskeys called the police, no shots were fired and no one was hurt.

“But I think that their conduct was a little unreasonable in the end,” he said. "I don’t think people should view this case as some type of betrayal or assault on the Second Amendment. We still have the Second Amendment rights. It’s just that the Second Amendment does not permit unreasonable conduct.”

The June 28, 2020, protests came weeks after George Floyd's death under a Minneapolis police officer's knee. Mark McCloskey emerged with an AR-15-style rifle, and Patricia McCloskey waved a semiautomatic pistol, according to the indictment. Cellphone video captured the confrontation. No shots were fired and no one was hurt.

The McCloskeys were indicted by a grand jury in October on felony charges of unlawful use of a weapon and evidence tampering. Callahan later amended the charges to give jurors the alternative of convictions of misdemeanor harassment instead of the weapons charge. Under that alternative, the evidence tampering count would be dropped.

An investigation by St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner’s office led to the initial indictments — and harsh backlash from several Republican leaders. Then-President Donald Trump spoke out in defense of the couple, whose newfound celebrity earned them an appearance via video at the Republican National Convention.

Republican Missouri Gov. Mike Parson has said that if the McCloskeys are convicted, he’d pardon them. A spokeswoman for Parson didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment after the hearing.

Callahan, a longtime judge and former U.S. attorney, was appointed special prosecutor after a judge in December ruled that Gardner created an appearance of impropriety by mentioning the McCloskey case in fundraising emails before the August Democratic primary. Gardner went on to win reelection.

https://news.yahoo.com/st-loui...ouple-185842012.html

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I did also. Went to a completely different career.

Either you have morals and ethics and character and honor or you're less than a man. I don't see how someone who confiscated firearms could ever look in the mirror again.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
has Kim Gardner been disbarred?

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Wow. McCloskeys web site is very well laid out. He looks good on paper so we will just have to see how this all shakes out.

My Representative, Vicky Hartzler, has also thrown her hat in the ring. She is a decent conservative but, well, she has had a pretty uneventful career. IDK, maybe that is a good thing.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bjor13:
why the plea deal? didn't the governor say he would pardon any conviction?

It probably has to do with his announced intentions to run for Roy Blunt’s seat in 2022. This way, he’s pleaded to a misdemeanor and can put the matter behind him and not have to worry about a jury trial in a town which has elected Kim Gardner twice now.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post