SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police officer comes close to being killed during traffic stop
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police officer comes close to being killed during traffic stop Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I have a fundamental "just seeking to understand" question...why would the female officer not simply "escape" to the rear of the vehicle as soon as the realization set in that there was a firearm in her face and get out of the way of the drawn weapon by the soon-to-be corpse?

The gun was already in her face. To try backing up, or even worst to turn and run, would have invited a shot without the ability to defend. All the BG would have to do is pivot his muzzle slightly.

To move to toward the front of the vehicle might have been slightly better. If the BG missed with the first couple of rounds, it would have been harder to track the officer around his A-pilar...but remember that his window tapers toward the front, which would give him an initial tracking advantage.

It takes more than a "bit" of practice to draw your gun while retreating. Most folks who practice "moving off the X" move laterally. Most training doesn't advocate backing drawing while backing up as you add in the possibility of tripping and falling. Do any agencies still teach shooting between your knees/legs...it is a fairly advanced technique

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14189 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I didn't see if he was a backup or partner?

County and city patrols both are single officer units here... she would have been very lucky to have survived.

It looked like he came running up from a couple of cars back, so I'm thinking back-up

Posts: 14189 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I have heard men scream like that in similar encounters.

does that make it right - or professional ?

my only point is - if a person is a professional cop - and your first reaction is prolonged blood-curdling SCREAMING when someone points a weapon at you - is that the 'correct' response?

do they teach that at the academy - male or female?

In that situation, the goal isn't to appear professional. The goal is to survive

quote:
soldiers screaming in the face of immediate danger is not acceptable

By which standard are you judging that reaction against?

Is there some proscribe penalty or discipline for screaming in the face of immediate danger?

Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I have heard men scream like that in similar encounters.

does that make it right - or professional ?

my only point is - if a person is a professional cop - and your first reaction is prolonged blood-curdling SCREAMING when someone points a weapon at you - is that the 'correct' response?

do they teach that at the academy - male or female?

and I am not talking about an immediate surprise 'OH SHITTT' type exclamation - or pain yelling after being shot

soldiers screaming in the face of immediate danger is not acceptable

of course I am glad she survived and the bad guy got what he deserved

-----------------------------------------

So how long have you worked in LE? How many times have you had a loaded gun stuck in your face by some one who wants to kill you? She isn't in the military and I am damn sure soldiers have screamed in battle before. Knock off your know it all attitude. You are not impressing any one.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
[W]hy would the female officer not simply "escape" to the rear of the vehicle ...?

That’s a good question and I’ll be interested to see any responses from any other (knowledgeable) people, but my first thought is that people react to sudden and unexpected violence in different ways. Based on my prior experiences I probably would have tried moving back and off line while drawing my weapon. But that wouldn’t necessarily have been the best action. If we’re close enough to grab and deflect the other guy’s gun, that would be faster and would not leave the officer exposed to gunfire as she’s moving away. One of the things LEOs are taught (or should be) is to not stick their guns out in someone’s face during a contact distance encounter.

But to join the keyboard kritics krowd, I’m almost certain that if I’d grabbed someone’s gun like that with one hand, I wouldn’t have been operating my radio with the other. It’s been pointed out for decades that a common mistake LEOs make is seeking the security of calling for help rather than doing what’s best for fighting back and/or moving to cover. Again, though, if someone has called for help countless times as the best thing to do in dangerous situations, it wouldn’t be surprising if that’s what he/she defaults to even if it might not be the best action.

They drill that radio HARD into rookies. Call for help. If all you can get out is a shout for help, get it out. Suspects know about radios and will attempt to get them away from the officer to isolate them. Of course this is meant for regular fights, not lethal armed encounters, but sometimes you run on autopilot. Maybe she wasn’t thinking. Maybe she didn’t know the other officer had made the scene. Never said her response was perfect, only that it was as good as any reasonable person could ask. At the same time, if she’d been found on the side of the road people would be asking why she didn’t get on the radio. We lost an officer a couple years ago and found out when a citizen keyed up on his radio asking for help after the fact. Keyboard tactics experts jumped on why he didn’t call for help. He was fighting. That’s why.

Mistakes were made. Hell, I made plenty of them myself. We are all human. When it mattered, her response was sufficient to keep her alive. I lost one of my very best friends, a 6’7 monster of a man, in a similar situation. Not a traffic stop, but taken by surprise by an armed suspect at close quarters. She’s alive. I’d gladly buy both of those officers a beer. Lord knows they likely need them.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. Again, it was a "seeking to understand" moment, as I have no grounds to critique at all. I don't know how the men and women in blue do their jobs day in and day out...takes a SPECIAL kind of person and I fully appreciate what y'all do!!

Be safe and get home after every shift!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She’s made a few mistakes and she’s lucky to be alive. She’ll learn from them and move forward.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
:Space saver for later:

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No need to save space for me: Its all good.
Note the speed at which this contact went from "suspicious" to deadly. When this occurs, you must act. She acted. She lived. Backup acted. Bad guy down.
They acted. Its all good.
Comes to mind the old adage: He who hesitates is lost!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I am in no position to judge the female officers reaction. I'm happy she got to go home. I do want to commend the back-up officer. That was a tremendous shot to the shitbags face. Big Grin

Posts: 535 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Armchair commandos. Got to love them.

Q

Posts: 26522 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
She did fine. Her vocalizations alerted her backup to trouble and the backup ended it with a single shot to the asshole's face. She had control over that revolver until he could get there. All she had to do was keep enough strength on it to prevent the trigger from being pulled.

The backup didn't waste any time helping either, straight to business.

Hell, I want to buy him a good dinner too!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34147 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of this one from a few years back.

Posts: 20132 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen grown fucking men scream like that when people jump out and scare them as a prank. Stick a gun in their face and they might shit themselves. Anyone who hasn’t been in the situation has no right to question her professionalism.

Ps: looks like the shittum took one right in the brain stem....instant lights out.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Thank you!

Something that we all need to realize is that situations like this do have an effect on all of us. Yup, on you and on me.

While I have not been the subject of a traffic stop for more than 25 years, I have thought about it, and discussed it with some pretty senior cop friends of mine.

The potential problem, as I see it: occurrences like this have a tendency to make cops nervous, or if not nervous, maybe very alert and primed to act quickly. If I am stopped, the last thing I want is a nervous cop. Especially when I am carrying.

Florida law does not require that you volunteer the information that you are armed. What if I am asked to step out of the vehicle and the cop is sharp-eyed enough to notice a lump on my hip, under my shirt? This is potentially a scary situation, and is one of the reasons that I am really religious about speed limits (I love my cruise control!), stop signs, full stop before right turn on red, etc. I do not want a traffic stop.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30747 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Thank you!

often times folks who use the 'arm chair quarterbacks' defense are merely apologists for poor performance

giving people a pass because of 'stress' or 'heat of the moment' is ensuring improvements are never made

proper training allows a person to overcome the base human response to stress

she clearly needs more training

----------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thank you!

often times folks who use the 'arm chair quarterbacks' defense are merely apologists for poor performance

giving people a pass because of 'stress' or 'heat of the moment' is ensuring improvements are never made

And I find that those who criticize from behind a keyboard are broadcasting their own insecurities.
Nobody is impressed by your "analysis".

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thank you!

Ok I have a few questions ...

1. How many times have you gone all Rambo when someone tried to shoot you in the face? Because from your postings it seems like it must happen a lot.
2. Did you use the “Mozambique” two to the chest and one to the head drill on them?
3. What’s it like to be Jason Bourne?
4. Do you have a specific set of skills that you acquired over a long career that make you a nightmare for people like him?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don’t train the theory and practice of traffic stops per se, but I do train on many things that relate to an incident like this. As a courtesy, then, to fellow trainers I’m asking this question.

What, specifically, should her remedial training involve? If you were responsible for that training, what topics would you cover? What would you tell her not to do, and, more important, what to do if she were making similar contact with someone like that tonight? And how would that training be conducted? Would it consist of a lecture, or something more/else? How do we ensure that our students absorb the training and, most important of all, are able to employ it in sudden, unexpected crisis situations?

As a trainer myself I’m always looking to improve what I teach people and how I do it. That means I listen to what people who are more expert than I am have to say about critical subjects. Because it seems that you’re in that category, I’m hoping you can share a bit of your expertise with those of us, like myself, who would benefit from it. Thanks in advance.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47421 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
From an academic standpoint, this video will be in circulation for many years to come to serve as a "what not to do" example. The officer may have "done good" but she forced much of her reaction by extremely poor, and lazy officer safety tactics. Had the officer actually received training, or followed the training she was given, this would not have happened. She is the product of poor, or nonexistent training, or she just doesn't care enough to pay attention.

The idea that you can either be smart or strong, this is what strong looks like. She violated so many principles of conducting traffic stops that her poor decisions put her in the fight of her life. Lots of officers are killed/assaulted because they are just this sloppy and look like food.

I care not about the whole "how many guns have you had stuck in your face". I really don't. I am more interested in the guns that I found after the fact because my traffic stop tactics never gave the turd the chance to use them.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post