SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police officer comes close to being killed during traffic stop
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police officer comes close to being killed during traffic stop Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
I’m glad she had backup, the male cop performed well. I can never remember how to embed so here’s a link.

https://www.tactical-life.com/...oor-police-shooting/

Posts: 4132 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Use Tube It! from one of our members found here: http://www.karmanator.com/tubeit.pl

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/7v1oP0KX14Q

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That happened fast and out of nowhere. Glad her partner got there in time and punched the bad guy's ticket for good.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Good shoot and love a happy ending, but I'm afraid I would have emptied the mag in the M-Fer. There would have been double-taps, triple-taps, quadruple-taps, quintuple-taps, and on and on until I heard "CLICK".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Just one shot. That guy was cool as a cucumber. Yeah, the other cop owes him a meal at least.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
she might want to find another line of work

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Why? Because she was screaming? She saw the threat and controlled the gun until backup arrived. Knowing that she couldn’t draw her own she got in the fight and stayed in the fight until the fight was won...

I’d argue a hell of a lot of people would have gotten their ticket punched right there because they wouldn’t or couldn’t react like she did...

Control the gun, stay in the fight, fight to win...

quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Just one shot. That guy was cool as a cucumber. Yeah, the other cop owes him a meal at least.

A VERY good meal at that.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Why? Because she was screaming? She saw the threat and controlled the gun until backup arrived. Knowing that she couldn’t draw her own she got in the fight and stayed in the fight until the fight was won...

I’d argue a hell of a lot of people would have gotten their ticket punched right there because they wouldn’t or couldn’t react like she did...

Control the gun, stay in the fight, fight to win...

quote:

yes the screaming is unprofessional and not otherwise indicative of presence of mind and a high level of proficiency

the phrase 'get off the X' comes to mind and of course open fire at the threat of deadly force

look at how calm her partner was - that is the objective standard

if her partner had not intervened - the result would not likely have been in her favor

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
much better resolution than the other version I saw. She seem to lock up for a bit..but then started thinking again. I can only imagine that she was in shock.

Glad both officers made it home. If anything makes you question your job choice this would!

Posts: 7806 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why the hell is she standing broadside to him like that?

Been several years since I wore the badge - but I don't think that is how I was trained to position myself on a traffic stop. She was very fortunate.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I'll disagree with Sig209.

She got in the fight.
She used her voice - albeit not my version of a war cry but it worked for her!
She stayed in the fight.
She controlled the weapon and had the presence of mind to radio for backup.

I say "OUTSTANDING!"

Plus the extra credit... Partner puts one in the BG's nugget while she is in contact. She backs up and draws down to cover.

Come on man.... I know she's not built like Zena the Warrior Princess and her PT routine probably sucks.... but her response to that ambush was about as good as it gets.

"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to an LEO demanding:"Let me see your hands", as they approach some one in the dark..

That Woman is lucky to be alive.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yanert98:
but her response to that ambush was about as good as it gets.

And I’ll disagree with you. Responding by controlling his firearm with one hand while drawing and shooting with the other or even better disarming him would be as good as it gets. Neither response is out of reach for someone trained but in reality most people are not. Now that I’ve said that I am not knocking her, it’s her chosen line of work and not mine, her actions do not affect me since I don’t rely on the police to protect me or my family. She lived and that’s the best outcome.

Posts: 4132 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, she's alive and can make that decision if she wants. Things could have easily gone the other direction.

Good heads up from the other office. Reminds me of the cop who ran on the bus following his female partner and smoked the perp from point blank, all caught on body cam.

Glad the good guys are going home.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9700 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
You never know what you'll do until someone puts a gun in your face...glad she got to go home.

Same thing happened to one of my officers the other night. He was able to wrestle the gun away.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Responding by controlling his firearm with one hand while drawing and shooting with the other or even better disarming him would be as good as it gets.

It doesn’t sound like you have much experience in this area. He has 2 hands available to keep his weapon and you want her to disarm him with one hand? Doubtful.

Plus, she survived and the perp did not. I’d say that’s pretty damn close to “as good as it gets”.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17308 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’ll disagree.

I’ve been a cop in a violent city for more than twenty years. I’ve been in 4 fights over a gun I can remember off hand. I’ve used my weapon. I’m not boasting about it, just establishing that I might know what I’m talking about.

She did a fine job. When her world suddenly and unexpectedly went to absolute shit her first reaction wasn’t to freeze. She grabbed that gun and held on while getting help. She held on despite being in a poor position leverage wise, despite being way behind the reaction curve, despite the fact that the suspect was likely stronger than her, and despite the fact that she was in a situation that would scare the living hell out of anybody. I’ve been there. It sucks.

Sure. She screamed. So did I. I’ve heard the tape. I was 25 years old and in a lot better shape back then and my voice went up at least two octaves.

She reacted. She fought. She didn’t give up. She’s alive. He’s not. I salute both of those officers.

No matter how tacticool you are, at some point you have to stand next to the window and get the person to sign the ticket. Could she have been further back? Sure. But once it went bad, she performed as well as anyone could reasonably expect. So did her partner. She controlled the weapon, he eliminated the threat.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
You never know what you'll do until someone puts a gun in your face...glad she got to go home.

Glad you chimed in with some common sense.

I really get annoyed with all the after action critiques.

Were some mistakes made... possibly. Were there other better ways to respond... again possibly.

But at the end of the day the good guys won and the bad guy isn't stealing oxygen anymore.

Addendum: Just saw copaup's response too apparently posted while I was screwing with mine. Another "spot on" post. Big Grin

Thanks to both of you guys!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I’ll disagree.

I’ve been a cop in a violent city for more than twenty years. I’ve been in 4 fights over a gun I can remember off hand. I’ve used my weapon. I’m not boasting about it, just establishing that I might know what I’m talking about.

She did a fine job. When her world suddenly and unexpectedly went to absolute shit her first reaction wasn’t to freeze. She grabbed that gun and held on while getting help. She held on despite being in a poor position leverage wise, despite being way behind the reaction curve, despite the fact that the suspect was likely stronger than her, and despite the fact that she was in a situation that would scare the living hell out of anybody. I’ve been there. It sucks.

Sure. She screamed. So did I. I’ve heard the tape. I was 25 years old and in a lot better shape back then and my voice went up at least two octaves.

She reacted. She fought. She didn’t give up. She’s alive. He’s not. I salute both of those officers.

No matter how tacticool you are, at some point you have to stand next to the window and get the person to sign the ticket. Could she have been further back? Sure. But once it went bad, she performed as well as anyone could reasonably expect. So did her partner. She controlled the weapon, he eliminated the threat.

I agree. If you haven't personally experienced it and lived to tell about it, you have no idea what you'd actually have done. Anyone that would criticize that officers reaction is foolish. She reacted, backup reacted, bad guy 10-7.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post