SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 ... 366
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Couple of days late, but back home and a late birthday smoke. First one of these for me.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
Hey Erj pilot I've been carrying smokes on the road for about a year now. Went through three different travel humidors and all were less than satisfactory.

What I do now is just use a nice thick plastic bag like the one you get when you buy sticks from a local store. Throw in a Boveda pack and you are good to go. I've carried smokes around the world, and after 10 days they are fine. Just be sure to put them in a place where they won't get crushed.

Thanks for that tip, Jay. I looked at the reviews for the Cigar Caddy on Amazon and some of them weren't that great. 83% of reviews were 4 and 5 star, BUT.....the 17% of negative reviews stood out as pretty damning for the product, to include being damaged upon arrival, latches broken or broke easily, and didn't seal well. As much as I travel (up to 15-17 days/month), I think I need something stronger than a zip-lock bag...at least I'd be more comfortable with that.

I'll look at some Tupperware and Boveda options...

ETA:
Looks like the XIKAR Travel Humidor gets better reviews over the Cigar Caddy. I might try one of those. (HA! Edited my post before clicking your link, Jay. Great minds!!!! Smile)

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Get the travel humidor from serious cigars. I dont knoe how hard it will be to fly with but mine works great for vacations. Havent flown with it yet.

http://www.seriouscigars.com/t...vel-15-count-hc.html

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Go for that humidor. But trust me - a few sticks in plastic in your brain bag will really not (or should not really) get abused.

But whatever works is the best solution for you. The key is having a good smoke while on a trip!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
Go for that humidor. But trust me - a few sticks in plastic in your brain bag will really not (or should not really) get abused.

But whatever works is the best solution for you. The key is having a good smoke while on a trip!

Since we've gone full EFB on the flight deck, I rid my brain bag (traditional leather binder case) of all the Jepp binders and company manuals that it carried. Now all it contains is ancillary stuff to include a headset w/hard-shell case, but it's all small, loose stuff. So my concern with carrying sticks in a plastic bag is they'd get damaged if the bag should get jostled around by the dude driving the hotel shuttle, taxi, or if I should drop the thing and it takes a tumble.

"The key is having a good smoke...". I like the way you think!!! Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
They also make a more compact 5ct case. Like having a pelican case for your smokes.

http://www.seriouscigars.com/t...avel-5-count-hc.html

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's the exact Xikar I was looking at...thanks again!! [two thumbs up] Think it would work OK with a Boveda pack? I know there's an element inside for propylene glycol, but that can get messy.

Yeah.....I'm a noob. Razz

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
I have the 15 count and when we go on vacation I'll take 2 of the foam pads out toss in a Boveda and about 20 smokes and they are good all week or longer.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
B-E-A-U-tiful!!!! Looks like a plan has been made...time to put it in motion!!

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my brain bag is mostly brainless as well now.

I keep my smokes next to my chargers, walled off from my iPad in the middle of my bag. I know where they are, so I am careful. Plus, being in the middle of the bag they are 99% immune to surly cab driver of the night tossing things around.

I figure that cigars are not delicate flowers - they are meant to be smoked, and that means going to where the event is. I have not had a single cigar break or even get crushed in my travels.

Go forth bravely young man!

Plato

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Crap, I spent too much time typing! Smile

Plato

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Got a box of these petite cazadores. Great smoke especially at the price. 150$ for a box of 50.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
I have the 15 count and when we go on vacation I'll take 2 of the foam pads out toss in a Boveda and about 20 smokes and they are good all week or longer.

Exactly what I have and do. I take about that many sticks every week to our campground site, and can choose from about 15 or so smokes.

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's see what all the fuss is about...

Well, first, it's very toothy, well constructed. Barnyard was my first taste, then chocolate, peppery retro hale. Not sure, but I thought I tasted some celery or celery seed???

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
A high end cigar and bourbon bar is opening up about 15 minutes away from me, Davidoff Blend bar. Hope the rare bourbon tastings arent outrageously priced. Houston is stuck in a liquor monopoly, we have a few goody goodys and a few Total wines that just opened up but Spec's is still king and all the rare/small batch good stuff gets bought up by employees. I bet they sell it on a secondary market. It would be nice to have a place to go to and sample some of what I've been missing.

http://halfwheel.com/blend-bar...&utm_campaign=buffer

posted Hide Post
Guys, gonna open a bottle of 25 YO Macallan tomorrow night. What should I smoke with it? medium-full bodied, full? Nutty, toasty flavored? Maybe a maduro wrapped?

Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Is that a peaty scotch? The L'atelier cote de or pairs fantastic with a peaty scotch. Perdomo vintage 12 year, perdomo edicion de silvio maduro. If its peaty you want a strong smoke. How was the JG?

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Macallan is NOT a peat scotch. I would pair it with something that wouldn't over power it and that would exclude broadleaf and other maduros.

If it were me I'd go La Palina Goldie hands down. Goldie is one of the best medium bodied cigars on the market. And seeing as you have a box of Dalia that vitola would be perfect.

Edit to add, HdM #2 isn't a bad choice either, but cubans to me have such s unique flavor it would detract from the Mcallan.

Headly Grange isn't a bad option but they aren't special enough to have with 25 yr old scotch.

Crux Limitada is another great choice but they aren't a big enough smoke by that I mean long enough smoking time before I'd reach for a second smoke drinking 25 yr old scotch.

Tonight I am having a guardian of the farm and it's over powering EH Taylor bourbon that I'm drinking with a very little bit of cool water.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4797 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jay - I really enjoyed JG - both in experience and taste. By that I mean, it's such a handsome fella, with it's regal type banding and toothy construction. The taste profile of chocolate, barnyard and spice is right up my alley.

Gator - great recommendations on the pairing options. For that, you win an instant karma. My email is in profile.

I do have some Laphroaig 18 year and some Ardbeg Uigeadail if I want to go peaty - both taste like I'm drinking a burned piece of wood that's been floating in the ocean - Love it though.

If it's the 25YO, it will be the dalia.

Gerry