SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Supreme Court to finally take up a major gun rights case
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supreme Court to finally take up a major gun rights case Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Yay, they took how many years to decide to give back 1/932 of a right we should have never had infringed upon in the first place? How many people were helpless victims of assault, robbery, and rape in the meantime?
I don't think we should be celebrating the crumbs they kick in our direction after feasting.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
This holding is a great win but it's not a Get Out Of Jail card that has wiped out gun laws nationwide.

Your right to self defense exists outside of the house but states will still be allowed or permitted to conduct background checks and limit magazine capacity and likely open carry too.

The Supremes remanded the case back down for further proceedings so this isn't completely over. More to come and with the NY governor bsaying she's going to either fight the decision, more rulings are going to come.

My best guess is that government can perform a background check and limit mag capacity and likely open carry but beyond that, today's ruling is only a very directed guideline.

They have basically said that if you can own it inside your home legally, you can legally carry it outside your home. That’s a lot more than just a guideline.

This was never going to be about firearms types, mag caps, background checks, etc. Large, broad rulings aren’t as strong anyway. Heck, the court’s refutation of the two-test rule that has been common at the appellate lever wrt Heller is huge. SCOTUS is finally beginning to defend Heller, and this ruling is part of that.

As for the NY governor fighting this, ummm, this was SCOTUS. Gonna appeal to whom? Or is she just going to ignore it and undermine our system of government? Push for a Constitutional amendment? Good luck with that, sweetheart! Maybe she can get her leftie minions to burn down some cities in her state. Yea, that’ll teach SCOTUS about guns and violence.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I don't think we should be celebrating the crumbs they kick in our direction after feasting.

How exactly is this a mere crumb? What would it take from SCOTUS to make you happy?

Just curious.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Supremes remanded the case back down for further proceedings so this isn't completely over. More to come and with the NY governor bsaying she's going to either fight the decision, more rulings are going to come.

She's going to fight the decision? Fight it how? She going to take her grievance to God?

And how is it not completely over, at least on the may issue point? It's sent back to the lower court, yes, but isn't that essentially a formality? The court is pretty much saying that you're wrong, so change your decision or we'll change it for you, right?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
So I don’t need a permit to exercise any other freedom protected by the Constitution. Why is the second amendment still a little bit different with more requirements allowed?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

How exactly is this a mere crumb? What would it take from SCOTUS to make you happy?

Just curious.

-Rob

The abolition of all gun laws and prosecution of anyone who pushed gun control legislation.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
To the naysayers- this is absolutely a significant victory. And IMO, the other 2A cases that are in a holding pattern right now will have some muscle behind them.

And BTW, today is Clarence Thomas's birthday Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
So I don’t need a permit to exercise any other freedom protected by the Constitution. Why is the second amendment still a little bit different with more requirements allowed?

It's pretty obvious I think.
They want to limit the rights that give us true power to keep them in check. Total control of a serf populace cannot be obtained when the serfs are armed with effective weaponry and educated on what it looks like to lose those weapons after 1000 compromises.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yay, they took how many years to decide to give back 1/932 of a right we should have never had infringed upon in the first place? How many people were helpless victims of assault, robbery, and rape in the meantime?

If someone gave you $20, you'd complain it wasn't $30.

I understand, but the Supremes didn't pass the NY law they struck down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
It's sent back to the lower court, yes, but isn't that essentially a formality? The court is pretty much saying that you're wrong, so change your decision or we'll change it for you, right?

Right.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

If someone gave you $20, you'd complain it wasn't $30.

FFS.
Yeah, because that's the same thing.
More like I don't care if they decided to use a little lube. I still don't want to be prison raped.
That's a little more accurate.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Ya know, I don’t normally say things like this, but-

What the fuck does it take to make some of you happy??

This is a major win. It is a huge building block towards fully restoring a right. Would you be more pleased if it had gone the other way, so that you could continue your grievance narrative?

I mean, damn. It took 200 years to get all these gun restrictions. They won’t be reversed in a single case. You wouldn’t want all rights reversed in a single case because then you’re only a single case away from another reversal. Look at your history. It took many decades to incorporate most of the bill of rights. Quit crying and have a moment of joy. Really.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
This holding is a great win but it's not a Get Out Of Jail card that has wiped out gun laws nationwide.

Your right to self defense exists outside of the house but states will still be allowed or permitted to conduct background checks and limit magazine capacity and likely open carry too.

My best guess is that government can perform a background check and limit mag capacity and likely open carry but beyond that, today's ruling is only a very directed guideline.

All true, but for those of us in the half dozen "may issue" (effectively no-issue) states, the nightmare is over.

Maryland's General Assembly won't be back in session until January, so no new hurdles until well into next spring. For those of us here, this ruling should mean that new applications will be processed without regard to Maryland's "good and substantial reason" requirement, and essentially be unlimited for now.

I'll take it!

-Rob

Me too. I'm in a may issue state where the county determines if you've meet the good cause standard. It's literally applied but lately purely self defense wasn't sufficient , absent additional qualifying factors.

I expecte that states abhorrent to this decision will slow walk background checks or in my state, while they quickly access databases, there is a rumored requirement that all results are hand checked to verify them and the backlog is huge because the state purposely understaffs to slow down granting permits.

This decision is a huge arrow in the quiver for gun owners.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

She's going to fight the decision? Fight it how? She going to take her grievance to God?

And how is it not completely over, at least on the may issue point? It's sent back to the lower court, yes, but isn't that essentially a formality? The court is pretty much saying that you're wrong, so change your decision or we'll change it for you, right?

That's correct and until it's a final decision with no further grounds for appeal, it's not technically over. It will be soon and then we can use this as a building block to restore other lost gun rights.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Balze,

She can't attack the decision straight on but she can put up barriers.

Didn't someone here post up the requirements you have to meet to purchase a handgun in NY? I think so and it was a huge pain. They just passed a bunch of gun control rules this week so they feel empowered.

They could mandate 30 day waiting periods, manual review of FBI database searches (like my state and then purposely understaffs the position), mandate your gun dealer run. A serial number check through other databases as your expense to verify the gun has a clean record, demonstrate safe gun handling and so on. And they state can slow walk implementing that.

No one is foolish enough to think they will ignore the ruling but obstacles will be put in the way of easy implementation. It's the liberal way.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
No doubt these democrat strongholds will put up as many barriers as they can. I can only hope these obvious overreaches and further violations of the 2nd amendment lead to more lawsuits and more favorable rulings at the Supreme Court.

And quick reminder:

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
This is huge. Does this mean that all states will become “shall issue”? I read the summary, and it seems that way.

I love the smack-down that Alito gave in his concurring opinion to the dissent.
quote:

Like that dissent in Heller, the real thrust of today’s dis- sent is that guns are bad and that States and local jurisdic- tions should be free to restrict them essentially as they see fit.3 That argument was rejected in Heller, and while the dissent protests that it is not rearguing Heller, it proceeds to do just that.

Ha ha, in your face, Breyer.

The only thing missing is "and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!" Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
To the naysayers- this is absolutely a significant victory. ...

Definitely. I hate to say it, but some folks try to find a way to be unhappy even with a huge win.

quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
And BTW, today is Clarence Thomas's birthday Smile

Did not know that. God bless him. In time, he will be recognized as one of the Court's best jurists.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Will this also nullify that stupid bullshit related to travel through those states? I.e. folks who have been run through the wringer by unwittingly taking possession of their bags at an airport during a layover while flying with a legally checked firearm?

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
OHHHH NOES!!! WOE IS USSSSS!!!

OMG….THE BLOOD WILL RUN IN THE STREETS!

-Every Leftist/Democrat today upon hearing about the NY SCOTUS decision

LOL Big Grin

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post