SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Supreme Court to finally take up a major gun rights case
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supreme Court to finally take up a major gun rights case Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I'm probably looking too far in this, but I think this was taken up to send a message and I think it's going to be good for us.

I don't think this is a message. That isn't really what the court does.

They got they case which is the next step after Heller. Heller was "guns at home" and this is "guns in public." It is the logical next step and there is absolutely a split in the circuits on this issue.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Justice Roberts is an odd duck.

I picture him always looking over his shoulder at a personally-threatening storm cloud as he deliberates on Constitutional cases.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
In Heller, the 5-4 majority was

Roberts (still there)
Scalia (now replaced by Gorsuch)
Kennedy (now Kavanaugh)
Alito (still there)
Thomas (still there)

That block still seems at least probable in this case, with only Roberts a possible switch, although I don't think he will.

The dissenters were:

Stevens (now Kagan)
Souter (now Sotomayor)
Breyer (still there)
Ginsburg (now Barrett)

With Barrett now in, and Ginsburg gone, I think our chances are good for a 6/3 vote, and are at least a 5/4.

Hoping that’s the way it turns out, jhe.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RBG kicked the bucket with only weeks to spare. We got lucky on that one.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well, there are reasons why majorities vote to hear cases, and there are reasons why majorities vote to hear cases. As far as Ginsberg being gone eventually, we were always going to "get lucky" in that sense - it was just a matter of time.
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
...Rensselaer County is actually one of the most gun friendly counties in NY State.

So why was the case filed there? Wouldn't a "no issue" county be better?

Not necessarily. A 'friendly' county may be more apt to couch the denial in a way that the courts will review, may want the question to be decided on the basis of 'shall issue' because it either protects them from liability or protects the county commissioners from political heat, and may be less apt to play games when it comes to being more responsive and fair during discovery, responding in a timely manner, limiting legal arguments to those that make reasonable sense and so forth.

I don't know what the county's motive/s are/were, but (FWIW) those may become more apparent as this plays out.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I have zero faith the current justices will make a decision that isn't woke. I hope i'm wrong...

Same here.

My belief as well.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I've been following Josh Blackman's YouTube channel & his First Amendment class. The last 3 classes (IIRC) were about the Second Amendment. He postulated that Roberts was the main reason that none of the previous cases were granted certiorari: that Roberts indicated he would vote for the government. He even went as far as to claim (as his opinion) that Roberts & Kagan had a deal to keep from granting certiorari for cases.

His analysis.
quote:

Making Sense of the Limited Cert Grant in NYS Rifle & Pistol Association v. Corlett
Why did the Court rewrite the question presented in this Second Amendment case?

Josh Blackman | 4.26.2021 11:50 AM

One week ago, I lamented about Heller's sad bar mitzvah. On April 26, the Court denied review in three Second Amendment cases concerning the rights of non-violent felons. And the Court had twice relisted NYS Rifle & Pistol Association v. Corlett. At the time, I assumed the Court had denied review, and Justice Thomas was writing yet another dissent from denial of certiorari.

Once again, the shadow docket threw a curveball. This morning the Court granted cert in the case. But the Court only granted review to a limited question presented:

Whether the State's denial of petitioners' applications for concealed-carry licenses for self-defense violated the Second Amendment.

As soon as I saw the grant, I started to scratch my head. Why did the Court rewrite the QP? Here is how Paul Clement framed the issue for the petitioners:

Whether the Second Amendment allows the government to prohibit ordinary law-abiding citizens from carrying handguns outside the home for self-defense.

There are at least five major differences between Clement's QP and the Court's QP.

First, the Court's QP focuses on the state's decision to deny "concealed-carry licenses" to the petitioners. Clement's QP challenged the law on its face, and as applied. Is the Court's decision now limited to an as-applied challenge, rather than a facial challenge? Might the Court leave open the possibility that other may-issue regimes are unconstitutional? Are there some unique aspects of the New York law that would distinguish it from other may issue regimes? Is there the possibility the Court will need to remand for further explication of the regime? Is there some evidence that the state improperly denied licenses to these particular plaintiffs? Might there be some Due Process Clause argument? Then again, the QP references the Second Amendment, so a Due Process issue would not be squarely presented. I see this slippery change as a way for the Court to issue a very, very narrow decision that will leave the issue unsettled.

Second, the Court's QP refers to a petitioner that could file an "application." That category of individuals would seem limited to a natural person. One of the Petitioners is the New York State Rifle & Pistol Club. Is that party a petitioner that could file an "application"? Or will the Court limit relief to the named parties. Here, the Court may be trying to avoid the associational standing issue. This issue arose in June Medical with respect to abortion providers. Of course, in the Court's standing jurisprudence, doctors who provide abortions for others would have third party standing, but organizations of people who personally exercise their Second Amendment rights would lack third party standing. Makes perfect sense.

Third, the Court's QP refers to "applications for concealed-carry licenses for self-defense." Clement's QP refers to "ordinary law-abiding citizens from carrying handguns outside the home for self-defense." The Court's question is far more narrow. It only concerns "concealed-carry licenses." Clement's petition refers to carrying a gun more broadly outside the home. By stripping the reference to "outside the home," the Court avoids resolving a thirteen-year old mystery: why exactly are "sensitive places." Also, the Court's question would close the door to a claim for open-carry. But why would the Court even consider this issue? New York does not permit open carry. I am nervous this QP is setting up a punt: a remand to consider whether permitting open carry would be consistent with the Second Amendment. Specifically, can New York prohibit conceal carry if it permits open carry? And by the time the case returns, there will be 17 Justices and the Court can deny review.

Fourth, Clement's QP refers to "citizens." There is no corresponding language in the Court's QP. Did Justice Sotomayor object a right that would be limited to citizens? After all, the Second Amendment does not apply to citizens. It refers to the "Right of the people" (Judge Wood adopted that reading of the Second Amendment for the Seventh Circuit). And the Due Process Clause, which the McDonald plurality used for incorporation, refers to persons, not citizens. Yet, Justice Thomas's controlling (?) McDonald concurrence relied on the Privileges or Immunities Clause, which is limited to citizens.

Fifth, Clement's QP refers more broadly to "ordinary law-abiding citizens." Again, there is no similar corresponding language in the Court's QP. Here, the Court may not have wanted to get involved in the precise basis on the right to carry. What exactly does "ordinary law-abiding" mean? Does that category include non-violent felons? The Court ducked that issue last week.

Finally, the Court did not accept New York's phrasing of the QP, which differed significantly:

Whether the Second Amendment prohibits New York from requiring residents who wish to carry a concealed firearm in public to have an actual and articulable need to do so.

Ultimately, I am conflicted about this grant. Part of me should be ebullient that the Court finally granted a real gun case. Yet, this strange rewriting of the QP has tempered my enthusiasm. I am jaded after thirteen years of being burned in Second Amendment cases. This grant may be the last time a nine-member Court decides a Second Amendment case. Any punt here will sweep Heller to what Justice Scalia called the "the dustbin of repudiated constitutional principles."

We should get a decision by June 2022. Alas, that timing will not allow Randy and me to include the case for the Fourth Edition of our casebook, which should be released by October 2021.

Finally, one of my first blog posts in September 2009 focused on the question presented in McDonald. That post, which went viral thanks to links on Volokh and Instapundit, put my blog on the map. It has been a fun run over the past thirteen years!

Update: A colleague reminds me that the Court rewrote the question presented in Heller. The District's cert petition framed the question this way:

Whether the Second Amendment forbids the District of Columbia from banning private possession of handguns while allowing possession of rifles and shotguns.

Tom Goldstein, Alan Morrison, and Walter Dellinger, among others, were on the petition.

Heller's response framed the question this way:

Whether the Second Amendment guarantees law-abiding, adult individuals a right to keep ordinary, functional firearms, including handguns, in their homes.

Alan Gura, Bob Levy, and Clark Neily represented Heller.

And the Court granted on Clement's question presented.

THE PETITION FOR A WRIT OF CERTIORARI IS GRANTED LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING QUESTION: WHETHER THE FOLLOWING PROVISIONS—D.C. CODE §§ 7-2502.02(a)(4), 22-4504(a), AND 7-2507.02—VIOLATE THE SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS OF INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY STATE-REGULATED MILITIA, BUT WHO WISH TO KEEP HANDGUNS AND OTHER FIREARMS FOR PRIVATE USE IN THEIR HOMES?

Update 2: An earlier version of this post stated that the Court granted the question presented in the SG's cert-stage brief. I was incorrect. The SG did not file a cert-stage brief.

I was reminded that Heller's brief in response to the cert petition suggested an alternate QP, closer to the one adopted by the Court. Here is an excerpt from Part II:

The question presented by Petitioners bears scant resemblance to the actual issues litigated in the court below. The question is not whether the District of Columbia may ban handguns "while allowing possession of rifles and shotguns," Pet. at i, any more than it is whether the District of Columbia may ban handguns while "allowing" possession of bricks, baseball bats, kitchen knives, or any other implement that can be used as a weapon. Rather, the question is whether the District of Columbia may ban all functional firearms, including handguns, without violating "the right of the people to keep and bear arms." U.S. Const., amend. II.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The piece of language in question is:

'A license for a pistol or revolver, other than an assault weapon or a disguised gun, shall be issued to have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof'

It is a very rare case that an individual is denied a pistol license in NY State. It is always a question of restrictions placed on said license. In recent years the issuing authority, usually a judge, has relied on the phrase 'proper cause' to deny unrestricted or full carry. If your 2a rights apply outside the home, then NY's 'proper cause' restriction is unconstitutional.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Set for oral argument on Nov. 3.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

What it should be is a matter of, as a very distant relative of my wife put it, “The right of self defence is the first law of nature.” (St. George Tucker, 1803). Without being able to possess and carry the tools necessary for the effective exercise of the right of self-defense, it’s like saying we have the right of the freedom of the press, but cannot own a printing press or anything similar such as a typewriter or computer printer.

That's the first time I read that. That's eloquently and logically stated.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oral Arguments are scheduled to get under way at 10 a.m. Eastern, 7 a.m. Pacific on Wednesday, November 3 and should take roughly an hour or so to complete.

SCOTUS will stream live oral argument audio on its website.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/live.aspx

Posts: 387 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Listened to about an hour of it starting in the middle of Mr Clement's argument(s). Really impressed with him, he's the attorney for the "good" side. The lady arguing against, Solicitor General Underwood not so much. Basically her sole argument is that people carrying guns in crowded places is dangerous and scares people. Of course when asked she couldn't provide any stats from other states that are "shall issue" that back up her claim that more guns in the hands of law abiding citizens equals more shootings.

It was also quite funny when the Justices pointed out the irony in that someone upstate can easily get a permit to carry in the woods where there are no people, but someone who travels late at night through bad neighborhoods cannot unless they can show a direct personal threat. As if a mugger or other criminal will give you a heads up so you can prepare.

The main argument Mr Clement made that the Solicitor General could not refute was that there is no provision in the Constitution for a citizen to have to provide cause to exercise their rights. I'm not familiar with all the details of this case or how far a judgement might go, but I definitely see the portion of the law that requires proof of need for an "unrestricted" license being struck down. Of course I hope they toss the whole bloody law out the window but I don't see that happening.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
Listened to about an hour of it starting in the middle of Mr Clement's argument(s). Really impressed with him, he's the attorney for the "good" side. The lady arguing against, Solicitor General Underwood not so much. Basically her sole argument is that people carrying guns in crowded places is dangerous and scares people. Of course when asked she couldn't provide any stats from other states that are "shall issue" that back up her claim that more guns in the hands of law abiding citizens equals more shootings.

It was also quite funny when the Justices pointed out the irony in that someone upstate can easily get a permit to carry in the woods where there are no people, but someone who travels late at night through bad neighborhoods cannot unless they can show a direct personal threat. As if a mugger or other criminal will give you a heads up so you can prepare.

The main argument Mr Clement made that the Solicitor General could not refute was that there is no provision in the Constitution for a citizen to have to provide cause to exercise their rights. I'm not familiar with all the details of this case or how far a judgement might go, but I definitely see the portion of the law that requires proof of need for an "unrestricted" license being struck down. Of course I hope they toss the whole bloody law out the window but I don't see that happening.

Yeah The arguments were fascinating. The state, in its defense of the NY gun laws, argued that New Yorkers don't need guns because its a highly populated urban area and they have a high number of police officers in a dense area. It was very interesting that the left has vilified the cops and then relied upon them to try and make their argument.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of a audio link or transcript of the hearing?
I was umable to lusten live.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:

Try https://www.scotusblog.com/ . They may have a recording.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
“How many muggings take place in the forest??”

BOOM!! Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
The doom and gloom headlines from the media are quite enjoyable right now.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?...bruen-oral-arguments

Wait a mere few seconds until the audio feed loads.

Posts: 387 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
There is a YouTube video as well.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post