SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Passed my Technician License Exam today...35/35! Cool

Congratulations!

Posts: 7326 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
A question regarding repeaters: I understand the basics regarding how they work, but one thing I'm curious about... do they share the same antenna, or do they require separate antennas? If they require separate, isn't there an issue regarding spacing them far enough apart so that they do not interfere with each other?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 4614 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Most repeaters do use a single antenna with the repeater being connected to a duplexer and then the antenna.

Posts: 7326 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. Thanks!

Posts: 4614 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on the information I've read here on numerous occasions,
I looked in to this subject with some research of my own.

My conclusion is that for some , this hobby could turn into a money pit like quilting , Bass fishing or golf.

On the other hand, there are some very valid reasons to learn about and invest in a few specific radios " just in case"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54725 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and welcome to the family... Now while in the study mode go for the "General Exam".. Easier than you may think... A lot of rehashing basic information..... Myself need to pick up the "Extra" as the test pool questions change with new questions coming out 1 july 2024.. 50 questions out of possible pool of 622..Some questions ask for the same information in a slightly different format, so there aren"t 622 unique questions. ..You must answer 37 out of the 50 to pass.. Minimum passing score is 74%.. so that equals to 6% of the pool.. good luck in climbing the ladder to gain more privilidges and available frequencies for your use............................ drill sgt. ... KL7JIU..

Posts: 2030 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Even though I like my "Boof-Wang" radios, I decided to "upgrade" to the new Tidradio TD-H3 because it is easier to operate, has a full color screen that is easier to see, and has a LOT of new features that I can use... one of which is the aviation band. I got a set of 2 coming in tomorrow from Amazon and will report back after I've had a chance to mess around with them a bit.

Does anyone else already have one or more TD-H3s?

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

Does anyone else already have one or more TD-H3s?

I have one coming Thursday to add to the stable. Fact it can be set to a choice of ham, GMRS or unlocked is a big plus.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3475 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Fact it can be set to a choice of ham, GMRS or unlocked is a big plus.

Yes, that was a big selling point also. It also uses the same antennas that I already have, unlike the other Tidradio I tried that had the opposite kind of connector... so I don't have to buy more than I already have.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Damn you people….

Here I thought I had finally had enough HT’s after getting the TD-H8’s but now I want an H3!

I justified by the smaller size and addition of airband RX.

Thankfully it comes in the same neon green/yellow as my H8’s so maybe the wife won’t notice…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10965 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Damn you people….

Here I thought I had finally had enough HT’s after getting the TD-H8’s but now I want an H3!

I justified by the smaller size and addition of airband RX.

LOL... I'm up to 6 now; time to sell off a few as they're all practically brand new. Will keep 1 of the Boof-Wangs as a backup, but I cannot see a need for more than that, especially when I am the only user! (Once all the dust settles, my wife will have the 2nd Tidradio for emergencies, once I teach her the basics of using it.)

quote:
Thankfully it comes in the same neon green/yellow as my H8’s so maybe the wife won’t notice…

Another great selling point for you! This method of "camouflage" is why all of my guns are black...

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, here is a good review of the TD-H3 which covers all of the neat features that caused me to order yet another pair of radios.

Several items of interest to me are:

1) Unlike the Baofeng radios I have, the display shows not only the name and channel number, but also the frequency associated with it! The BFs only show one or the other... I want to know both, and the TD-H3 does that.

2) Unlike the Baofeng radios (and apparently most other Chinese HTs), the TD-H3 actually transmits at and often ABOVE it's rated power output of 5 watts! Some of the lower frequencies were showing around 4.7-4.8 watts, but getting into GMRS land it was putting out 6 to 7 watts instead of barely reaching 4W like the Baofengs. Does this really make that much difference? No, the antenna makes a bigger difference, but at least it is putting out what it's rated instead of being sub-par on power.

YouTube Review of TIDradio TD-H3 by "KS6DAY"

UPDATE: The pair of TD-H3s came in today and so far I'm extremely pleased with them! Lots more to learn, but that's half the fun...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bronicabill,

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

LOL... I'm up to 6 now; time to sell off a few as they're all practically brand new. Will keep 1 of the Boof-Wangs as a backup, but I cannot see a need for more than that, especially when I am the only user! (Once all the dust settles, my wife will have the 2nd Tidradio for emergencies, once I teach her the basics of using it.)

Hmmm.. those are rookie numbers, you need to pump those up Big Grin

1)Yaesu FT5DR
2)Yeasu FT70
3)Yaesu VX-6R
4)Wouxun something…
5)Anytone AT-D878UV
6/7)TD-H8
8)TD-H3
9)Baofeng GM-15
10/11)Baofeng MP-31
12/13/14/15)Baofeng GT-68 (in my defense these were purchased to reprogram as PMR446 for upcoming trip to Kenya - none of my other radios would work)

I think I may have a problem… look for posting in classified soon!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10965 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm.. those are rookie numbers, you need to pump those up Big Grin

<<snipped list of 15... yes, 15 radios>>

I think I may have a problem… look for posting in classified soon!

Dayum... I think you need to look up the nearest chapter of RA (Radios Anonymous)! How can you possibly USE all of those???

posted Hide Post
This is a gun forum, and the Waiver and Confidentially Agreement both clearly state that we are under no obligation to provide any justification whatsoever or any reasonable or unreasonable explanations for our ‘collecting’ habits and desires!

Big Grin

Posts: 3499 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post