SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I've been playing around with my UV-5R Ham 8W radio (no transmitting) and these things are awesome! So much to learn though! I decided to keep these and will buy another pair of FRS radios for walkie talkie functions. Is there a list of must-have frequencies for emergency situations either nationally or locally (west Michigan)? Every website I've looked at seems to lead down a rabbit hole so I figured I would ask here.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
I've been playing around with my UV-5R Ham 8W radio (no transmitting) and these things are awesome! So much to learn though! I decided to keep these and will buy another pair of FRS radios for walkie talkie functions. Is there a list of must-have frequencies for emergency situations either nationally or locally (west Michigan)? Every website I've looked at seems to lead down a rabbit hole so I figured I would ask here.

Yes. in the chirp program the frequencies for FRS, GMRS, MURS, and Marine VHF are listed and ready to dump into the radio. It only takes a few moments and a cable to hook up the radio to your PC or Mac. https://chirp.danplanet.com/pr.../chirp/wiki/Download
There is also a website called Better Safe Radio that has a pdf file of all relevant frequencies in North America free for you to download and/or print. https://k5q5c8s7.rocketcdn.me/...v1a-859ch-061022.pdf

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:

Basically what I did, I was so impressed with the UV-5r that I started reading up on them, then I bought the GMRS ones because its basically a walky talky on steroids, it gives you the same channels as a FRS. Only thing you need is the license and thats pretty easy to do.

Posts: 3611 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
...down a rabbit hole...

Posts: 108105 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Man, that's just mean......(James Coburn off) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
“Needing” a license to transmit on the FRS channels with a GMRS radio is kinda like “needing” a mask when laying on the beach in LA.
Cool

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2253 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, that's just mean......(James Coburn off)

And on International Womans Day.

Posts: 1354 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I found this on the North Georgia GMRS club merchandise website I think we should all chip in and buy it for Para. North Georgia GMRS merchandise store

Posts: 3611 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:

As already mentioned earlier, I have that same pair. While I realize that technically they are not meant for FMRS, in part due to the removable antenna, I decided to keep them for that purpose anyway. I just dialed down the output power to minimum for all FRS channels in CHIRP, and will likely use either rubber ducky antennas or the little 3" stubbies that came with the UV-5R8W radios if I use that service for short range.

quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
I found this on the North Georgia GMRS club merchandise website I think we should all chip in and buy it for Para. North Georgia GMRS merchandise store

LOVE IT! I'm in for a buck or two...

Posts: 4669 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:

For those too lazy to click the link:

Posts: 936 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^
Too many dyslexics and poor readers to risk wearing that. Eek

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8404 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Son of a biscuit. I was all set to take the tech and general test tomorrow night and I find out that the mandatory meeting I have to go to at my daughter’s school is not on Friday like I had marked on my calendar.

I stand by my earlier comment, it’s not the test that’s hard, rather it’s finding the test to take. I’ve been score 33/35 or better on both practice tests too.

Posts: 11173 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hey, do you know what's worn really thin, really quickly? That Rubicon guy's shtick. At first it was cute and funny. Now, it's not so cute, not so funny. I'm certain he doesn't give a shit what I think, but I'm not talking to him anyway- I'm telling you guys.

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Hey, do you know what's worn really thin, really quickly? That Rubicon guy's shtick. At first it was cute and funny. Now, it's not so cute, not so funny. I'm certain he doesn't give a shit what I think, but I'm not talking to him anyway- I'm telling you guys.

I'm happy to hear you say this as I got tired of him rather quickly but kept quiet about it because I thought everyone else loved him! As you said, he was funny at first, but it got tiresome after only a few videos. Other HAM guys are just as informative, and they get to the point without all the cutesy crap...

Posts: 4669 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Other HAM guys are just as informative, and they get to the point without all the cutesy crap...

Notarubicon is not a HAM guy, he has no interest in HAM and I have similar sentiments as well. And a certain faction of HAM guys dislike him because they think he is one of the you tube people responsible for unleashing the unwashed masses of Baofeng users into their precious airwaves Roll Eyes . In the radio community, he is one of the biggest defenders of people using Baofeng, even though he doesn't use them for his own personal radio use. What he's into is getting as many people possible into two way comms, particularly GMRS.

I absolutely agree, his schtick got very old after awhile, but I still watch his stuff, surfing past the usual schtick, because he is extremely knowledgable about everything GMRS, particularly the hardware. And yes, some of his videos are redundant. But unlike the other You Tube GMRS guys, he has owned, road tested, operated almost every single GMRS radio and accessory, a shit load of antennas. I have spoken to folks at buytworadio.com and Kemp Wireless for technical info, and when the subject of Notarubicon comes up, they say the guy is responsible for a big chunk of their sales, he has influenced a lot of first time GMRS radio buyers. And I'm sure he has influenced a lot of people buying their first Baofeng UV5Rs.

An observation- on a couple of the GMRS related forums I belong to, mentioning firearms (and politics) is a no-no, against the rules. It is a theory his constant use of TekMats in his videos is a way to poke a finger in their eyeballs. He has mentioned in one of his videos regarding which radios he uses offroading, he mentioned he also brings along a Sig Sauer P239.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16825 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have a difficult time with the personality of the "notaham" er "notarubicon" guy also. Still, I've stolen some useful information from him.

I prefer S2Underground.

On that topic...has anyone given thought to a sigforum version of the ghostnet?

On the line of rabbit holes....go down this one:

https://youtube.com/playlist?l...&si=Bcj5TqRSht7d7byx

When the cell towers got hacked a few weeks ago, ghostnet was activated and information exchanged according to the protocols. It was a useful RW exercise. My location has led to challenges in participation, and getting locals around here to join such things is more difficult that herding cats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13974 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ixnay on the the abbitray olehay.

Rabbit Holes: you must go down them without SIGforum

Here is your official admin scowl: Mad

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Other HAM guys are just as informative, and they get to the point without all the cutesy crap...

Notarubicon is not a HAM guy, he has no interest in HAM <<snip>>

Excuse me... that was meant to be a generic term! How about 2-way radio enthusiast instead?

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:

Scowl seen, and now understood!

Sorry I missed the message.

The content suggestions stands. If you've found yourself intrigued by this thread, and making purchases of baofeng radios and such, the less-biased experiences and real world use examples of S2 Underground will be helpful.

The idea of an alternate information source and the practicality of radio formats and uses are explained in simplified terms. I've grown to appreciate his content, narration methodology, and efforts to help his fellow man.

Thanks for the lighter scolding on the terminology. I'll adhere to the mandatory cooperation policy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13974 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Rabbit Holes: you must go down them without SIGforum

Here is your official admin scowl: Mad

I'm assuming "bunny burrows" is off limits too? LOL... just kidding, I'm sure it is!

I'll show myself out now... Big Grin