SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:

What do you think of the FT5DR? I've got one too, and it's my favorite radio (of what I've got) by a long shot, but the battery life is terrible and that really kills it for me.

TBH, I haven’t used it all that much. I wanted a “do it all” high-end HT and bought it shortly after getting my ticket. Then life changed and I didn’t have the time to devote to the hobby I would like too.

As such haven’t really “learned” it yet, so it sits and I grab a cheapo most of the time. I really am an infrequent HAM user at this point, but with retirement a couple months away I am hoping to change that.

I did notice battery seems to drain even when NOT being jaded, so I make a point of taking battery off when not in use (seems to be the case on all my Yaesu HT’s). I have bought some third party spare batteries for my Yaesu HT’s. Can get two or three for what Yaesu charges for one.

I think turning off GPS and APRS will help battery life if those options are on.

Posts: 3963 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My FT5DR battery life is acceptable. Mine dropped from 8 to 7.2 vDC in the last three weeks just sitting on the desk.

APRS and GPS can easily be turned off in the menu settings.

I wish I hadn't sold the two ICOM V86 radios I bought here. Although you couldn't read the tiny little screen, the quality vs. dollar was super high.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5141 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post