SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInAR:
This may or may not be helpful....

Since the TD-H8 I got was a "ham" radio, the programming software (Odmaster, in my case) would not allow me to enter GMRS frequencies. I had to 'unlock' the radio before I could get them input.

The latest Boof-Wang UV-5R already allows HAM and GMRS frequencies, but I ran the "unlock" anyway, and it didn't make any difference. The poleece dispatch frequency is simply out of range for what this radio can handle. I did program the local sheriff's dept plus several highway patrol dispatch frequencies; I just can't do local police or fire... Frown

Posts: 4810 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Sure wish these little things would let you simply enter the channel number you want to go to instead of scrolling through the entire list! Mad

Posts: 4810 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did program the local sheriff's dept plus several highway patrol dispatch frequencies;

Make sure you disable "transmit" on those freqs.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6904 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
I did program the local sheriff's dept plus several highway patrol dispatch frequencies;

Make sure you disable "transmit" on those freqs.

Already done, using the CHIRP software makes it a breeze!

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
The poleece dispatch frequency is simply out of range for what this radio can handle.

Most likely the police and fire are a DMR system (digital) which is why you can not listen.

Posts: 3036 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Sure wish these little things would let you simply enter the channel number you want to go to instead of scrolling through the entire list! Mad

It SHOULD let you just punch in the number. Mine does, but I have to remember to put it in a 3-digit format (001, 028, etc)

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16234 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
quote:
The poleece dispatch frequency is simply out of range for what this radio can handle.

Most likely the police and fire are a DMR system (digital) which is why you can not listen.

Some are Encrypted as well, so you wouldn't be able to hear those either.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInAR:
quote:

It SHOULD let you just punch in the number. Mine does, but I have to remember to put it in a 3-digit format (001, 028, etc)

Indeed it does! I just wasn't entering it in the 3-digit format... Thanks!!!

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:

Click the Orange button at the top left on the face to switch between "frequency" mode and "channel" mode. When in frequency mode, you can set the A/B channel (whichever you are on) to the direct frequency.

Link that may be helpful.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3666 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
quote:

The radio will not let me input the frequency, and neither will the CHIRP software...

The frequency in question is 855.5625

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

Now . . . what would I need to do to be able to contact my dad in San Antonio?

You’d need either a much different radio setup (HF 100w or more base station, good antenna) on both ends or use some sort of interface to the internet on both ends.

911Boss,

(I took out some of your quotes to shorten the page.) I appreciate your response. I am studying for the technicians and as soon as the practice test show enough proficiency I will move up to the general tests. This should give me the ability to use HF and the atmosphere Smile I am already prepping the wife for the coming need for a 50w mobile unit, and a 100w base station and antennae. But I must start with the learnings part. My dad is getting on board as well. He quit in the 60's because he couldn't do morse, now that is not a part of it he may give it another go.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3666 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Yet another question...

I am a bit confused about the use of repeaters. I realize that you transmit on one frequency and receive on an adjacent frequency, but what I'm unsure about is this "offset" thing.

Does the "offset" determine what the 2nd frequency is automatically? Or do you literally have to set up 2 different frequencies manually to use a repeater?

Example: Using the CHIRP software, it has a whole list of repeaters that I could choose from, and I got a few from my area that would be in range. All of the programming info was already in the file, so I simply had to upload it to the radio to add them. If I choose my closest repeater, is my radio ready to both transmit and receive through it, or do I have to choose the reception frequency separately?

I hope this makes sense as I'm getting myself really confused right now. Without the use of local repeaters, these little radios are going to be pretty much useless for communicating with the wifey when she is at her parents house, or on her job site... both of which are outside the range these will provide on their own.

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
This is necessary for simultaneous retransmission – a repeater cannot simultaneous retransmit on the same frequency on which it is also receiving, as this would create a vicious feedback situation. The difference between the repeater's receive frequency and its transmit frequency is called the offset.

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Va. | Registered: August 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Bronicabill, I hear ya. there is a lot of info (reading and videos) to absorb. Hope this video helps. the video comments also may help. I need to write this all down in a dedicated binder Frown

Posts: 3611 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm proceeding slowly with my radios, haven't done much at all with them except tune in a few local FM stations and the NOAA Weather channel.

I did want to test the CHIRP software and the cable I bought. I have seen online that the less expensive cables can be junk. I did buy a cheap one (9 bucks) but it's a BaoFeng brand cable, so...

I tested CHIRP and the cable by putting a custom power-on message on one of my radios by following the instructions below. As our genial host indicates, Windows will not find the COM port automatically so I had to follow the instructions provided after choosing "help me" from the dropdown menu in the COM port selection window. CHIRP did determine COM 3 and all worked as shown in the video. I set the custom message to read "RADIO 1". The other, of course, will be "RADIO 2" and this will allow me to easily distinguish between the two devices.

CHIRP does provide for saving particular configurations you create, in the form of .img files. This will be convenient of you want to wipe out a group of settings and go back to an earlier (but still custom) configuration. Naturally, you can reset the radio to factory default with the specified key sequence but there is still value in being able to save (outside of the radio) one or more custom configurations.

Posts: 109257 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I am studying for the technicians and as soon as the practice test show enough proficiency I will move up to the general tests.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Big Grin

Get out your checkbook. Before you know it you'll be buying $5,000 radios, building your own antennas, and learning Morse Code. Big Grin

Posts: 20665 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
The latest Boof-Wang UV-5R already allows HAM and GMRS frequencies, but I ran the "unlock" anyway, and it didn't make any difference. The poleece dispatch frequency is simply out of range for what this radio can handle. I did program the local sheriff's dept plus several highway patrol dispatch frequencies; I just can't do local police or fire... Frown
In CHIRP, under Settings > Other Settings, you can modify the upper and lower frequency value limits in both UHF and VHF.

Posts: 109257 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure 855 mHz is WELL outside of the Frequency Bands the 'Boof-Wang' is capable of receiving. I believe the max frequency it can actually receive is 524 mHz, or as 'some people' like to say, 'Ma-Jigga-Watts'. The theoretical max is 520 mHz, but I read someone actually tested it and determined 524 mHz was the upper limit. Regardless, even if you could program for it, you wouldn't receive it!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I knew this was going to happen. Second set of GMRS radios, license, downloaded CHIRP and cloned all my radios. Gave one to my brother, he lives .7 miles away and had my first official licensed conversation. Broke out my old Uniden CB and my Scanner. Starting to study for the Ham.

As has been already stated most Police/EMS/Firestations are digitally trunked and some are encrypted. I live pretty close to ATL and my scanner does Airband so I can listen to airtraffic, also fun.

Something I discovered is BROADCASTIFY
it has lots and lots of internet broadcasted scanners, no need to register or sign up, just hit the browse button and it pulls up a US map.

Posts: 3813 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yet another question...

I am a bit confused about the use of repeaters. I realize that you transmit on one frequency and receive on an adjacent frequency, but what I'm unsure about is this "offset" thing.

Does the "offset" determine what the 2nd frequency is automatically? Or do you literally have to set up 2 different frequencies manually to use a repeater?

Example: Using the CHIRP software, it has a whole list of repeaters that I could choose from, and I got a few from my area that would be in range. All of the programming info was already in the file, so I simply had to upload it to the radio to add them. If I choose my closest repeater, is my radio ready to both transmit and receive through it, or do I have to choose the reception frequency separately?

I hope this makes sense as I'm getting myself really confused right now. Without the use of local repeaters, these little radios are going to be pretty much useless for communicating with the wifey when she is at her parents house, or on her job site... both of which are outside the range these will provide on their own.

Thanks!

Not sure what part of North Alabama you are in, There is a real interesting group here, just google, North Georgia GMRS network, they have repeaters running from Pigeon Forge Chattanooga, thru Georgia down into Florida. Its a membership to use I believe, I have been listening to people on the repeater from all over this area.

Posts: 3813 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post