SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I used CHIRP to set the lower VHF limit to 108. That allowed me to enter the frequencies for the local airport, but the radio receives nothing even with the squelch set to 0. No static, nada.

In CHIRP, you set Duplex to off to disable Tx (transmit) on individual channels.

I tried to copy and pasted individual cells, but it copied and pasted the entire row. Of course, I couldn’t see the left side of the table and didn’t catch this until I was done. I had 15 rows I pasted over and wound up with 15 rows all the same freq., name, etc.

About repeater offset, yes that is how it determines the other frequency. You set + or - and the amount of offset.

Also, most repeaters require your radio to send a tone to activate the repeater. The tone should be frequency should be listed along with the repeater’s freq. and offset information.

There maybe two tones (not Tommy). The second one is so your radio only plays what the repeater is transmitting and not other transmitters using the same frequency.

And Para is right about the utility of using CHIRP to save different sets of settings. There’s only 128 memory spots. It also works for cloning multiple radios. The downside is having to fire up the computer to do it. I wonder if the app for the bluetooth programer lets you save multiple sets of settings.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
quote:
The poleece dispatch frequency is simply out of range for what this radio can handle.

Most likely the police and fire are a DMR system (digital) which is why you can not listen.

Most of the LE and public service agencies in Louisiana are on P-25 700mhz system.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by unit338:
<<snip>> The difference between the repeater's receive frequency and its transmit frequency is called the offset.

Gotcha. That's what I thought, but I wanted to confirm with someone who knew more than I about the subject! Thanks!

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Bronicabill, I hear ya. there is a lot of info (reading and videos) to absorb. Hope this video helps. the video comments also may help. <<snip>>

I had no idea that the learning curve was so steep on these little things! Before Para twisted my arm into buying a pair Wink I had plenty of time on my hands. Now I sit up all night long on the computer reading, watching videos, etc.! I think I've only slept about 3.5 hours out of the last 48 or so... LOL.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
The latest Boof-Wang UV-5R already allows HAM and GMRS frequencies, but I ran the "unlock" anyway, and it didn't make any difference. The poleece dispatch frequency is simply out of range for what this radio can handle. I did program the local sheriff's dept plus several highway patrol dispatch frequencies; I just can't do local police or fire... Frown
In CHIRP, under Settings > Other Settings, you can modify the upper and lower frequency value limits in both UHF and VHF.

I tried that and the software wouldn't allow me to set the upper limit on UHF to the frequency range my local police/fire depts use (in the range of 888 if I remember correctly); mid-600's was as high as I could go. Will try again to be sure I didn't miss something.

Edit: CHIRP wouldn't allow the 885MHz input for the upper range when I typed it in, but it did allow scrolling to the higher numbers I wanted! After uploading that to the radio, I could then manually enter the correct frequency, but I highly suspect it is digital since I heard nothing. Will explore this a bit more...

Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
<<snip>>
Not sure what part of North Alabama you are in, There is a real interesting group here, just google, North Georgia GMRS network, they have repeaters running from Pigeon Forge Chattanooga, thru Georgia down into Florida. Its a membership to use I believe, I have been listening to people on the repeater from all over this area.

I am in the Huntsville area, and my daughter lives over in Athens, GA...

Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Yet another question... something I'm not totally clear on. Roll Eyes
(I know, I know, I'm getting just as tired of asking stupid questions as you are reading about them!)

Is a "ham" technician license different from a GMRS license or FRS license? Do you have to possess one of each to use those 3 different services?

Thanks in advance!

Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is a "ham" technician license different from a GMRS license or FRS license? Do you have to possess one of each to use those 3 different services?

Yes, the frequencies and operating privileges afforded to technician-level hams are different from both the GMRS and FRS radio services.

Separate licenses are required for technicians and those utilizing GMRS. FRS does not require licensure.

Posts: 7383 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
FRS shares channels 1-22 with GMRS. The difference is the radios themselves. FRS radios are limited to 2 watts on some channels or 1/2 watt on others. They can’t use duplex repeaters. Duplex repeaters transmit and receive on two separate frequencies and are the ones mentioned in this thread. FRS radios have permanently attached antennas.

That all means the radios we all purchased wouldn’t be legal to transmit for FRS. The reality of it is there’s no way anybody would know unless they were standing next to you.

The question becomes when will people know? The answer is when you use GMRS repeaters without using a call sign. Like HAM repeaters, GMRS repeaters are privately owned and cost thousands of dollars plus time and effort to set up. Then there’s the ongoing electric bill and maintenance. Using them is a privilege. SIGforum is a good analogy. Privately owned, funded and maintained. We ask permission for the privilege of using it and agree to abide by the rules.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’m in Tallahassee at the moment so I punched in the local SARnet frequency and heard someone from Jacksonville. SARnet is network of linked repeaters at FDOT, Florida Department of Transportation, sites along I-10, I-75, I-4, I-95, Hwy 1, and a few others.

“Statewide connectivity is achieved without the use of any commercial telecommunications services. SARnet does not use the internet, cellular telephones, or land lines.“
Link

Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the very helpful information! It is finally becoming much clearer to me what is going on here, and with these radios.

Obviously I will start with the GMRS license since no test is required, then will work on a HAM license as time progresses.

Now to go back and remove a bunch of frequencies from the radio that I am not supposed to use... or at least disable transmission on them.

Cheers!

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Ordered. Wait, what the heck am I doing with these things???

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9744 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I used CHIRP to set the lower VHF limit to 108. That allowed me to enter the frequencies for the local airport, but the radio receives nothing even with the squelch set to 0. No static, nada.

Airband is AM not FM, so you're not going to pick that up with a UV5R even if you have the frequency typed in. Airband is a little tricky even if you do have a radio capable of receiving it, much of the time you will only be able to hear the traffic in the air unless you are very close to the airport.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3567 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Ordered. Wait, what the heck am I doing with these things???

Wait for StHTF. In the meantime, learn how to use them. Eavesdrop on first responders and others. Then maybe pick up a license and talk to others as your knowledge base grows. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16225 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Reading this has me about talked into picking up a pair, though I know next to nothing about their operation.

Looking at the link in Post #1, there are 2 models that look the same & are about a $4 difference, only difference I can see is purple vs blue display, slight case variation & a different color code: Black-2Pack for $35 & Black-2Pack-AR-771 for $40

Is there a functional difference between the 2?

Edit: Looks like the $35 model may only have 1 antenna, not the 2 of the $40 option.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
^^^^Yes thats the difference, the $4 more option has the longer ones included. I started with those and now I have a set of GMRS ones.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the confirmation
Ordered the other pair & the program cable.

Now to figure them out when they arrive

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Hi, all.

I've watched several YT videos to learn mainly about GMR and FRS use. I have used the CHIRP software to setup the various menu settings that NotARubicon recommends, as well as save in memory the 22 FRS/GMRS channels and various NOAA frequencies. So far so good. I plan to get my GMRS license soon as well.

I have a few questions about GMRS repeaters. The way I understand it, the UV-5R is not a true GMRS radio and as such when I want to use a GMRS repeater, I need to manually switch from the repeater's transmit/output frequency (to listen) to it's receive/input frequency (to talk) in order to talk back and forth with someone thru a repeater. I'd do this using the A/B button given I have the A and B channels set to those 2 frequencies. Is my understanding correct?

Additionally, in the CHIRP software's GMRS stock config file, I see it lists GMRS channels 15-22 twice: the first set indicating a simplex mode, and the 2nd set indicating for repeater use which includes an offset value of 5.000 and a Duplex indicator, but no Tone setting. Why is that? Does this mean that when a true GMRS radio is setup with a GMRS repeater channel that I would NOT have to manually switch back and forth between the repeater's input and output channels to talk back and forth? Whereas with a non-GMRS radio like the UV-5R I do?

Also, even though I have saved all of the GMRS repeater channels in my phone with those offsets, I still need to do my research and find the *specific* repeaters located in my area, determine their unique tone, and set it up in my radio, correct?

In the UV-5R's menu system, there is the R-DCS, R-CTCS, T-DCS, and T-CTCS settings, which NotARubicon recommends setting all to OFF. It's these values which represent the repeater Tone that's needed to connect, correct? If so, then can I setup a specific R-DCS, R-CTCS, T-DCS, and T-CTCS for each repeater channel I have saved in memory, or are these truly a global value that I need to manually change each time I choose to use a different repeater channel?

I hope this all makes sense, and I'm asking decent questions. Thanks a lot.

Chris

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Thanks for all of the very helpful information! It is finally becoming much clearer to me what is going on here, and with these radios.

Obviously I will start with the GMRS license since no test is required, then will work on a HAM license as time progresses.

Now to go back and remove a bunch of frequencies from the radio that I am not supposed to use... or at least disable transmission on them.

Cheers!

I received my GMRS callsign in less than 24 hrs. FCC site isn't too bad, but not really intuitive. I understood I needed to register with FCC (FRN) before proceeding but after that I had to do a quick search. This video was a helpful guide through the process.

Next you can join your local GMRS group and connect with good people and support the cause (and get the repeater info "secret handshake" Wink

I also started a white composition book (remember those?) for this endeavor. Ham will probably be down the road a little but GMRS is nice quick-hit.

Posts: 3586 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
So I started scanning last night and found a local club with on-air meetings Tuesdays at 7.00 pm. I only caught the last bit but it was interesting. There was a guy in another county talking on an 8 watt Beofeng. In a straight line, he was +/- 22 miles away. There is a decent mountain range between the counties so he was using a repeater. I'm at the base of the other side and could pick him up clearly.

Another guy was +/- 32 miles away and he was crystal clear. That was encouraging as he is about 10 miles further south in a straight line from the county's emergency center.

Posts: 12571 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post