SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Hi, all.

I've watched several YT videos to learn mainly about GMR and FRS use. I have used the CHIRP software to setup the various menu settings that NotARubicon recommends, as well as save in memory the 22 FRS/GMRS channels and various NOAA frequencies. So far so good. I plan to get my GMRS license soon as well.

I have a few questions about GMRS repeaters. The way I understand it, the UV-5R is not a true GMRS radio and as such when I want to use a GMRS repeater, I need to manually switch from the repeater's transmit/output frequency (to listen) to it's receive/input frequency (to talk) in order to talk back and forth with someone thru a repeater. I'd do this using the A/B button given I have the A and B channels set to those 2 frequencies. Is my understanding correct?

Additionally, in the CHIRP software's GMRS stock config file, I see it lists GMRS channels 15-22 twice: the first set indicating a simplex mode, and the 2nd set indicating for repeater use which includes an offset value of 5.000 and a Duplex indicator, but no Tone setting. Why is that? Does this mean that when a true GMRS radio is setup with a GMRS repeater channel that I would NOT have to manually switch back and forth between the repeater's input and output channels to talk back and forth? Whereas with a non-GMRS radio like the UV-5R I do?

Also, even though I have saved all of the GMRS repeater channels in my phone with those offsets, I still need to do my research and find the *specific* repeaters located in my area, determine their unique tone, and set it up in my radio, correct?

In the UV-5R's menu system, there is the R-DCS, R-CTCS, T-DCS, and T-CTCS settings, which NotARubicon recommends setting all to OFF. It's these values which represent the repeater Tone that's needed to connect, correct? If so, then can I setup a specific R-DCS, R-CTCS, T-DCS, and T-CTCS for each repeater channel I have saved in memory, or are these truly a global value that I need to manually change each time I choose to use a different repeater channel?

I hope this all makes sense, and I'm asking decent questions. Thanks a lot.

Chris



I am still learning all this myself but the first thing I learned is that the UV-5R is only a HAM radio, you should not be using it on GMRS channels unless it really is a SHTF situation. I bought a pair for that situation alone. Went ahead and got my GMRS license and a set of GMRS radios and yes they are set up to broadcast and receive on the repeaters with preprogrammed channels. The UV-5r being a HAM can be programmed for the channels with the offset so that they work on HAM repeater which would also be the case on GMRS. The a/b channels are for monitoring two different channels, when you program the offset it will do it automatically without you having to switch.

Hope I got this right but this is how I understand it and it has been working for me on GMRS
 
Posts: 3510 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
So I started scanning last night and found a local club with on-air meetings Tuesdays at 7.00 pm. I only caught the last bit but it was interesting. There was a guy in another county talking on an 8 watt Beofeng. In a straight line, he was +/- 22 miles away. There is a decent mountain range between the counties so he was using a repeater. I'm at the base of the other side and could pick him up clearly.

Another guy was +/- 32 miles away and he was crystal clear. That was encouraging as he is about 10 miles further south in a straight line from the county's emergency center.



Thats what got me hooked on getting a GMRS, I was listening on the UV-5r and picking up transmissions from Pigeon Forge via repeater/net, I am south of ATL. Pretty sure some of the transmisssions from north of town and up in the GA mtns I am picking those up direct since they are showing on the gmrs channel and not the repeater. There are several nets on in the evening, really interesting topics.
 
Posts: 3510 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Hi, all.

I've watched several YT videos to learn mainly about GMR and FRS use. I have used the CHIRP software to setup the various menu settings that NotARubicon recommends, as well as save in memory the 22 FRS/GMRS channels and various NOAA frequencies. So far so good. I plan to get my GMRS license soon as well.

I have a few questions about GMRS repeaters. The way I understand it, the UV-5R is not a true GMRS radio and as such when I want to use a GMRS repeater, I need to manually switch from the repeater's transmit/output frequency (to listen) to it's receive/input frequency (to talk) in order to talk back and forth with someone thru a repeater. I'd do this using the A/B button given I have the A and B channels set to those 2 frequencies. Is my understanding correct?

Additionally, in the CHIRP software's GMRS stock config file, I see it lists GMRS channels 15-22 twice: the first set indicating a simplex mode, and the 2nd set indicating for repeater use which includes an offset value of 5.000 and a Duplex indicator, but no Tone setting. Why is that? Does this mean that when a true GMRS radio is setup with a GMRS repeater channel that I would NOT have to manually switch back and forth between the repeater's input and output channels to talk back and forth? Whereas with a non-GMRS radio like the UV-5R I do?

Also, even though I have saved all of the GMRS repeater channels in my phone with those offsets, I still need to do my research and find the *specific* repeaters located in my area, determine their unique tone, and set it up in my radio, correct?

In the UV-5R's menu system, there is the R-DCS, R-CTCS, T-DCS, and T-CTCS settings, which NotARubicon recommends setting all to OFF. It's these values which represent the repeater Tone that's needed to connect, correct? If so, then can I setup a specific R-DCS, R-CTCS, T-DCS, and T-CTCS for each repeater channel I have saved in memory, or are these truly a global value that I need to manually change each time I choose to use a different repeater channel?

I hope this all makes sense, and I'm asking decent questions. Thanks a lot.

Chris


Sorry if I answer these out of order or miss something.

First off, the UV5R is not type accepted for GMRS use. It won't be legal to use for GMRS even with your GMRS license. Won't matter for SHTF use and not likely to be enforced otherwise, but you should be aware going in.

Your understanding is a little flawed. GMRS repeaters work the same as ham repeaters, so you would set the channel up the same way as a ham repeater. All GMRS repeaters have a +5Mhz offset. So you're not going to use different frequencies in the A/B slots, a properly set up memory channel will automatically listen on the rx frequency, and then transmit on the tx frequency when you hit the PTT button.

With regard to the CTCS and DCS, for general use you want them all off. Different repeaters require different tones to open the repeater though, so for every repeater you would need to change the TX setting on your radio to match the repeater tone. If you have local repeaters you would set up a memory channel that includes the specific tone for the repeater for convenience, otherwise you can change it on the fly.

In chirp when you see 15-22 twice, the second set is the generic repeater settings for repeaters on those channels. You would add the specific tone for the repeater you want to talk to and you would be good to go. Without the tone you should be able to hear the repeater transmissions, but you won't be able to open it to talk. A different repeater on the same channel might have a different tone, so you would have to either change it or set up separate memory channels for each repeater.




"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
 
Posts: 3487 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
So I started scanning last night and found a local club with on-air meetings Tuesdays at 7.00 pm. I only caught the last bit but it was interesting. There was a guy in another county talking on an 8 watt Beofeng. In a straight line, he was +/- 22 miles away. There is a decent mountain range between the counties so he was using a repeater. I'm at the base of the other side and could pick him up clearly.

Another guy was +/- 32 miles away and he was crystal clear. That was encouraging as he is about 10 miles further south in a straight line from the county's emergency center.



Thats what got me hooked on getting a GMRS, I was listening on the UV-5r and picking up transmissions from Pigeon Forge via repeater/net, I am south of ATL. Pretty sure some of the transmisssions from north of town and up in the GA mtns I am picking those up direct since they are showing on the gmrs channel and not the repeater. There are several nets on in the evening, really interesting topics.


If you're talking to a repeater on a UV5R, tap the * button to reverse the radio. This will set it so you're listening to the input frequency of the repeater. The GMRS channel is the same as the repeater output, you have to listen to the input frequency to see if you're picking it up direct.

*edit- reverse will only work if you have the repeater offset programmed- if you're just tuned in to the repeater frequency it won't do anything.




"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
 
Posts: 3487 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
So I started scanning last night and found a local club with on-air meetings Tuesdays at 7.00 pm. I only caught the last bit but it was interesting. There was a guy in another county talking on an 8 watt Beofeng. In a straight line, he was +/- 22 miles away. There is a decent mountain range between the counties so he was using a repeater. I'm at the base of the other side and could pick him up clearly.

Another guy was +/- 32 miles away and he was crystal clear. That was encouraging as he is about 10 miles further south in a straight line from the county's emergency center.

You think that's cool? Talk to a guy in Bulgaria over a wire nailed to a tree in your yard. Now that's cool.

I know a lot of people who poo-poo the Ham thing. "That's why we have cell phones!" Roll Eyes

I've given up trying to convince most of them of the obvious, but that aside, radio is fascinating to me. Just the other day I was listening to a guy in France transmitting morse code on 5 watts. Granted, it wasn't a great signal, but I could hear him and got most of his transmission. If being able to communicate with someone halfway around the world by bouncing low power radio waves between one wire and another 5000 miles away ain't cool, man I don't know what is.


________________________________________________________
"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton.
 
Posts: 19883 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY! I have already been looking at 10 meter radios and it blew my mind that morse uses such low wattages. Wish I had looked into all this earlier, looks like a load of fun and possibilities.
 
Posts: 3510 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
So you're not going to use different frequencies in the A/B slots, a properly set up memory channel will automatically listen on the rx frequency, and then transmit on the tx frequency when you hit the PTT button.

If you have local repeaters you would set up a memory channel that includes the specific tone for the repeater for convenience, otherwise you can change it on the fly.

In chirp when you see 15-22 twice, the second set is the generic repeater settings for repeaters on those channels. You would add the specific tone for the repeater you want to talk to and you would be good to go. Without the tone you should be able to hear the repeater transmissions, but you won't be able to open it to talk. A different repeater on the same channel might have a different tone, so you would have to either change it or set up separate memory channels for each repeater.


Ah! This is the stuff I was not understanding. Thank you very much.



 
Posts: 2324 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
You think that's cool? Talk to a guy in Bulgaria over a wire nailed to a tree in your yard. Now that's cool.

I know a lot of people who poo-poo the Ham thing. "That's why we have cell phones!" Roll Eyes

I've given up trying to convince most of them of the obvious, but that aside, radio is fascinating to me. Just the other day I was listening to a guy in France transmitting morse code on 5 watts. Granted, it wasn't a great signal, but I could hear him and got most of his transmission. If being able to communicate with someone halfway around the world by bouncing low power radio waves between one wire and another 5000 miles away ain't cool, man I don't know what is.



A very long time ago, a neighbor two houses up from us was a HAM operator. He was VERY into it, to the point of convincing me (an 8th grader at the time) to take the classes and get an amateur license. I learned it well enough to pass the test back then, but I've certainly forgotten it all now.

Anyway... after I cut his grass one afternoon we sat on his porch for a while and talked. He mentioned having been on the air a few days prior with a soldier in Asia somewhere (I believe he told me the man was in Vietnam, but I could easily be getting that detail wrong now). What made him really excited, though, was that he had been able to be the "patch" between this soldier and his wife on that particular evening -- "home" for the soldier and his wife was the town next door. Being able to link them up for a while was such a wonderful thing for all involved.




God bless America.
 
Posts: 13333 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Thanks for the confirmation
Ordered the other pair & the program cable.

Now to figure them out when they arrive

I knew absolutely nothing about them when mine arrived. Several days of pretty intensive study and experimentation has me to the point I can use them now (on FRS frequencies) if needed.


Bill R.
North Alabama
 
Posts: 4475 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've had just about enough acronyms for one week. Big Grin
 
Posts: 3439 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
^^^^Yea I need to slow down, I started to study for my HAM, my old brain is starting to hurt.^^^
 
Posts: 3510 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Same here; had to take a break from all this Boofwang learnin stuffs! Still wonderin how many fars I can talk...


Bill R.
North Alabama
 
Posts: 4475 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I respectfully invoke my rights guaranteed under the Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution. I have no idea why my house is surrounded by white trucks:

 
Posts: 10741 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Tell the truth, you are having them put up a 200 foot tower for your antenna.
 
Posts: 3510 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Reach out & touch someone... Razz



____________________________________________________________

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
 
Posts: 8725 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
Tell the truth, you are having them put up a 200 foot tower for your antenna.

That would be awesome! If one was serious about backup communications for the family in a 50-75 mile diameter, a tall tower, a repeater and mobile radios in each car would do that. It could probably be done for less than the cost of a new iPhone for the 6 of is including my father. I think the max height on my county is 65’ and there’s hurricane code.

The picture is from after Ian when power was restored on our street. There were another six trucks down the street.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,
 
Posts: 10741 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of the two year grace period for an expired ham radio license if you cannot transmit once the license has expired?

Does this mean that if you renew your license within two years of expiration, you do not have to re-test, but if you renew after two years of expiration, you have to re-test in order to renew?
 
Posts: 106949 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That’s what I read. Renew within the grace period, no retest. Miss the grace period and you start from scratch.
 
Posts: 10741 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Yes. that's correct. Also after two years from the date of expiration, if you license is not renewed, your Call Sign would be put back in the pool to be issued to new licensees, and would also be available a Vanity Call Sign, should someone want it.


____________________________________________________________

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
 
Posts: 8725 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I ordered the bluetooth adapter that allows you to use an app on your phone to program the radios.

I’m finding the while scanning the channels I have programed, there’ll be one channel that has some sort of interference going on and stops the scan. It was MURS channel 3 out at my youngest’s school this morning. I’d did pickup the repeater in that county and the three repeaters in our county at his school. I think the one is 25-30 miles from the school.

I’m thinking that changing the radio’s frequencies on the go would be good.
 
Posts: 10741 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 33 
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead

© SIGforum 2024