SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Israel Destroys Hamas Intel HQ
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Israel Destroys Hamas Intel HQ Login/Join 
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
I remember reading one of the assets used was a kinetic strike munition. Basically a bomb casing with concrete in place of the charge. Strap a JDAM kit and minimize collateral damage. Just a big (500 pound) rock at terminal velocity. Probably a line Tech Sergeant came up with it.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome. I guess if you can put a munition on a dime, a 500lb rock traveling at ridiculous velocity is a nice tool to have in the box.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Who wouldda thunk. A good example of not spending a million dollars on a missile for a small job. I've often wondered when we get into a real shooting war with a significant enemy, what we will do when we run out of expensive munitions while the enemy has many tons of regular munitions to finish the job. I'm assuming the war planners have that covered... one would hope.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
I remember reading one of the assets used was a kinetic strike munition. Basically a bomb casing with concrete in place of the charge. Strap a JDAM kit and minimize collateral damage. Just a big (500 pound) rock at terminal velocity. Probably a line Tech Sergeant came up with it.

I remember hearing about a old story with this lil guy named David and a rock. I think he won. So kinda fitting. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:

Ha, that is literally called BL&P (blind, loaded & plugged) round. In artillery it’s just filled with sand or concrete to approximate the weight of the payload/warhead/filler...usually painted bright blue so everyone knows it’s inert.

I’ve seen bombs the same way, but I wasn’t a zoomie and can only assume ordnance colors is the same across services/munitions

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Who wouldda thunk. A good example of not spending a million dollars on a missile…

The expense of JDAM, LGB, LJDAM, AGM, etc. is not the explosive but the guidance kit. These aren’t much cheaper. As I said on the previous page, if you want to hit a moving target your weapon needs to be laser guided. That’s not cheap, even if you’re dropping concrete.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I remember hearing about a old story with this lil guy named David and a rock. I think he won. So kinda fitting. Wink

They made a statue of the guy, stands in Florence, really popular. You can even get postcards and aprons of his likeness. Big Grin

Interestingly, while Iron Dome is Israel's low-level air defense, David's Sling is their mid-tier defensive system in their overall air defense umbrella.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

They made a statue of the guy, stands in Florence, really popular. You can even get postcards and aprons of his likeness. Big Grin

Interestingly, while Iron Dome is Israel's low-level air defense, David's Sling is their mid-tier defensive system in their overall air defense umbrella.
There are at least 3 "David" statues in Florence and more in other places. Only one is original, of course, but the others are very good copies.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.powerlineblog.com/...-aps-gaza-office.php

Yesterday the IDF issued this announcement:

During Operation “Guardians of the Walls” the IDF struck the al-Jalaa building on May 15th, 2021. The site was used by the Hamas terror organization for intelligence R&D and to carry out SIGINT (signals intelligence), ELINT (electronic signals intelligence), and EW (electronic warfare) operations, targeting both IDF operational activity and civilian systems in Israel.

One of the main goals of these efforts was to develop a system that would disrupt the Iron Dome aerial defense system.

The purpose of the IDF strike was to curtail these enemy capabilities, including destroying special equipment, and preventing their use during the operation. According to IDF assessments, the equipment was in the building at the time of the strike. The strike was designed to collapse the building in order to ensure the destruction of the special means.

The target was of high military value to Hamas and was vetted according to rigorous procedures within the IDF, and in accordance with international law.

In light of the nature of the target, prior to the strike, the IDF provided civilians in the building advance warning. Significant efforts were made to enable civilians to evacuate the building. The evacuation process was meticulous, and as a result, no civilians were harmed.

This event should be put into context – Hamas intentionally operates within the civilian population of Gaza and does so in order to hamper the IDF’s operational activity.

The IDF will continue to maintain the security of Israeli citizens, while doing its best to prevent any possible harm to non-combatants.

Posts: 19577 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post