SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Slipped and Fell
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slipped and Fell Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Glad you're okay!

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I once worked with a doc who was aging and he felt that he was on to the reason we seem to fall as we get older. He said it was the reduction in flexibility, and thus range of motion. So the brain is still wired to send certain signals that the muscles are unable to fully execute. He set to work on his flexibility in an attempt to reduce his risk. So, for what it's worth. Hell, I pulled a muscle in my back yesterday by breathing. Ugh

Posts: 11345 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
In 2014 or so I was walking to my car, with my Glock 22 as my defensive firearm in a retention holster when I found a patch of ice.

Yep. Absolutely classic pratfall directly on my holster and pistol.

On my way down I recall thinking “Glocks go boom!” Fortunately it didn’t, but I had a huge bruise on my hip.

Heal well Para, and get a better bath mat.

We rely on you too much to lose you in a bathroom fall.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31370 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No, seriously, on the way down, I said to myself "I'm about to break something." Coulda been bad.

A few years ago, I had two falls on our tile floor, about a year apart. Each time I stuck out my arm to "break" the fall, but all I broke was my wrists. I now have steel plates in each wrist.

I installed grab bars in the shower after the first fall.

I have also fallen off a step ladder in the garage, making the stupid mistake of looking back and trying to work backwards, rather than moving the ladder. Fell from about 4 feet up, and bounced my head off the concrete floor. No real ill effects from that one, though.

My standard epithet on the way down, in all cases, is "Oh shit".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re ok, Para! As I’ve gotten older, I noticed my balance isn’t what it used to be, and I have to be more careful. Reaction time is worse too. Usually, I just run my toes into things so far. I do remember, it was about 15 years ago though, a fall actually helped me. I had been having back issues, and seeing the chiropractor. He was using a tapping tool on one part of the lower back, each visit. It was winter, and icy. Went to work, and as I was getting out of my SUV, one foot on the ice and I went down. Managed to hold on to the door as I was going down, which slowed me a bit, and landed on the exact spot the chiro had been tapping on. Was sore for a while, but that fall fixed my back there. Thankfully nothing broken. These days, I doubt I would escape without some injury.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found I don't bounce nearly as well as I used to!

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
I hope you are OK. You said you did not break anything, but remember the experience if anything comes up concerning your arms or shoulders.

I slipped on ice on my driveway - while about to put ice melt down - back in Feb. 2018. My security cameras captured it. It's pretty cringe-worthy.

I never connected my shoulder issues (both sides) to the fall since I landed on my rib cage on the left side. The ribs hurt for a couple of weeks.

I year later I had impingement pain in the right shoulder. Turned out to be a labrum tear and I ended up going under the knife in Oct. 2019 for that one. Not sure the right side was connected, but my PT guy thinks it very well could have been.

The first week in July this year, the same kind of pain showed up on the left side. After a couple of months of PT I went for an MRI ... torn labrum and a chunk of cartilage ripped off the top of my humerus with multiple small fragments floating around. So I'm thinking about surgery again if I can't swim by Nov. 1.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Glad you're ok.

In Feb during a freeze, I slipped on ice in my back patio and ass-over-teakettle, fell hard on my lower back, barely made it to the hospital. Luckily nothing broken, but was disabled for 4 weeks in sever pain. I was truly scared I would not heal up and would be in pain for life. After rehab for another 4 weeks, I finally healed.

You're fortunate you did not suffer much pain getting back up, guys our age (early 60s) are designed for hurt now.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16611 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Para - 1
Bathroom floor - 0

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You old guys need to keep up with the latest scientific fact gravity gets stronger as you get older. It can just grab you and pull you down much quicker!

Actually, my doctor explained that old people fall more often because their "point of no return" is much smaller when they get off-balance. When you are young and move around more, you can catch your balance before you fall. When you get older, it is more like Para's demolition building - once the dynamite goes off, there isn't a way to stop the fall!

Posts: 1625 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
The Eagle has landed! Wink

Glad you are ok, Para.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly glad yu're okay, Para.

And I appreciate this thread. I thought I was the only one falling fairly often. I'm not glad to find out others are doing the same, but am a bit relieved that its not just me.

I pushing 75, and seem to take a fall every couple of months. So far, nothing broken, but I suppose it's just a matter of time.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Hi Para glad you are ok,I know about falling,last year I tripped on a dog blanket and broke my big toe.
I sucked it up bandaged it up and hurt for weeks.
Good news the toe nail grew back
Crown royal helped lots.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post