SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Slipped and Fell
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slipped and Fell Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for those Anti gravity bars , at garage sales, w/o success.

They want $45.00 for the new ones are Lowe's.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Every time I fall my wife yells out:

It was funny the first few times.

Posts: 4022 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I'm not lying when I thought this was going in another direction. In my line of work I hear a lot of "well, I was walking into the kitchen butt nekkid and slipped and fell and it just went in the wrong place doc, that's why I'm here".

It usually ends up using this:

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I now use a plastic chair in the shower which is less stressful than standing.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick on rubber duckies.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
You’re a lucky man.
I worry about what I’m going to land on, and what I’m going to hit on the way down. Falling is just part of it.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
...at my age, it's downright thrilling to slip and fall bare-ass naked on my bathroom floor and not break anything.

Warning! That will change. Frown
I fell twice on my stairs which prompted my youngest son and a good friend, who is also a paramedic, to berate me into installing chair lifts in my home. It has been over 8 years now and I can honestly say they've been a godsend. I wouldn't have been able to stay in this tri-level house I love without them.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Coincidently I fell in the bathroom a few days ago. Unlike you Para I had on my undies and a bathrobe. Nothing broken, just a sore ass and elbow. In my case it's not the fall but the getting back up that's the issue. Thank God we have a boarder that's 30 years younger and strong as an ox to help with that dilemma. At 75 I realize that it's only going to get worse. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I continue to be amazed that I have gone a couple years without slipping and falling. I have hit some ice patches a few times and some wet tiles a few others. I ended up wildly gyrating and flailing about but my butt never hit the ground.
Of course I then had to deal with the sore back and various pulled muscles, but I counted every instance as a win anyway. If I had known hitting the ground was a safe option I might have considered it.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Some 20+ years ago, I did a slip & fall on ice while at work on military base on the first day back to work of the New Year. Landed on my dominant left hand and smashed my wrist. Required surgery and bone graft, followed by a 6-month OT rehab. Safety Office was very upset with me as I ruined their record the very first day of the New Year.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
We have an elderly person living with us. We also have a steep set of stairs upon which they climb and descend each day.

In one sense it’s good to keep those muscles working. And another is, that won’t last forever.

Thought of a chairlift system but then I saw an advertisement for a light footprint elevator.

In-house elevators have really changed! Some appear to be two post systems. I’ve only seen this on YouTube; no personal experience.

If ever needed, I’ve considered putting one in a closet space we have to go between the floors.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
But Binder & Binder can get you up…

Also qualifies for erectile dysfunction advertisements.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Had the worst accident I have ever had a little over a week ago. Working in the woods. I was turning around on a trail. Foot got tangled up as I stepped back. Lost my balance fell back and landed on a six inch stump that I had cut off a couple of years ago that was about six inches in dia. and sticking up about four of 5" above the ground. Landed full weight on top of it near my right hip and lower back.
Was in severe pain for a good 2 mins. Full on sweat pain. Got to my feet and told the wife we are done for today. Doc said it was one of the "worst soft tissue bruise's" he had ever seen. Thank God no other damage. But sore and a huge black and blue thing. So yeah they can be bad. But could be worse. Glad you are ok Para. Take care all.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m comin’ up on 75 Jan 7th. I’ve noticed my balance is getting difficult to maintain after a few minutes. Looks like falling is next for me.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did you drop the Donut? Might be your new Donut Slapper.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Glad you're OK and not about to be featured in the next Life Alert ad - "I've fallen and I can't get up!"

So far, I'm only worried about falling when I'm up on the roof.
At 68, I've been careful with the soapy shower floor for a few years now.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Couple years ago, I had these installed in the shower. And, like 41, I use a shower chair. Also have a couple non-slip mats that I put on the floor before showering.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned the hard way not long ago that the 1" x 12" rough sawn P pine gang plank into the hay storage area of my barn that I have been walking up and down for a few years is just fine with my weight. It was even fine with the weight of one of my boys carrying a bale of hay, but not with my fat ass carrying a bale of hay. Too bad it was not caught on video, comedy gold I am sure.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re OK, Para.

My latest issue with gravity taught me a new lesson.

Standing in the middle of the bathroom (nothing close enough to grab) I unbuckled my belt and dropped my drawers as I got ready for bed.

I was going to kick them over by the clothes hamper but my foot got stuck in the crumpled jeans. When I kicked, it pushed me off balance and with leg stuck I couldn’t move my foot to catch my balance. Down I went, but only had a skinned elbow.

Life lesson: sit on the edge of bed when changing pants or stand near something you can hold if needed. You’d think I would know that by now.

Gosh getting old is fun….

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Since my stroke, my right foot forgets to pick itself up, or maybe it’s the leg not lifting all the way…anyway I stumble at least once a day because of it. I’ve fallen a few times, nothing serious. Bent some toes into the purple and green zone though

Glad you’re ok.

I’ve been thinking of putting grab bar in the shower…

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post