SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you like Wavian NATO gas cans from Atlantic British, you’d better place an order NOW! (Updated with review of German surplus cans, pg. 4)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you like Wavian NATO gas cans from Atlantic British, you’d better place an order NOW! (Updated with review of German surplus cans, pg. 4) Login/Join 
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Not that these are not great gas cans. But I have the really heavy 5 Gallon plastic jugs with the long flexible spouts. Easy to pour, no leaking. Not feeling like I need to spend extra funds for these myself. Ymmv

I have 3 of these from my Porsche racing days. Work great!
https://www.amazon.com/VP-Raci...gid=pla-406164068313

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just placed an order for 1 can with the longer spout. $99 delivered to me. Would save a lot of money if I didn't read SF all the time. Wink

Posts: 454 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
From the looks of it, the EPA device is just on the spout, you could remove it it just use a different spout?

This is true, and you may be able to get the cans with the cam style lid in the future. However, every can will be sold with an EPA spout, which will nearly double the cost. If you have ten cans for storage, you don't need ten spouts. You only need one.

This segues to the most important use for these cans. Fuel storage! If it were just about getting a better pouring fuel can, and I had to spend around $100 to get it, I'd probably just go with a JustRite Type II. Where a Wavian really shines is its ability to store fuel, long term, without spoilage. Because the can is so well sealed, the aromatic evaporation of the gasoline is minimized, keeping the fuel from becoming unusable. This is why plastic cans, even quality ones like VP Racing cans, are not suitable for long term storage. I like VP cans. I have eight of them that I take to the lake with the boat. But for storage, I use Wavians. I have fuel in storage that has 2018 date tags, that when I open the cans, the fuel looks and smells like the day I put it in. I buy eth-free fuel and add some Staybil and Seafoam, close the lid, and it seems to last forever. I rotate it about once every five years.

Some may not feel it necessary to store fuel. I get it. During a disaster, however, you will go through your fuel faster than you think. Ten Wavian cans, or 200 liters, may last you a week powering a portable generator. Or it will only fill your vehicle twice. Add a few different fuel types, and you need even more storage. I use 1K Kerosene in my shop heater. It now costs a fortune in prefilled cans. One local gas station used to have it at the pump, but they pulled it out after a remodel, and it was of questionable quality anyway. I have six Wavians that I haul down to the airport, hunt down the fuel truck, and fill them with Jet-A for about 1/3 the price. As a bonus, the Jet-A tanker gets sumped every morning, so it's very high quality. (I have them leave out the prist). The Wavians paid for themselves in two fill ups.

Here is a video discussing the history and design genius of these cans:

There are lots of copies, and even Wavian makes EPA compliant cans for the U.S. market. Indeed, the Harbor Freight can is an actual Wavian made can, but it omits the cam-style spout in lieu of a screw top, thus eliminating the single key advantage to this style of can. You may be satisfied with a Chinese can, but the quality is inferior. This is a buy once, cry once thing, and something that your grandchildren will fight over at your funeral.

People pay crazy prices for old style Blitz plastic cans. Imagine how these will be cherished in a few years. If you just want an easy-to-use can, get a Safety Can from JustRite or Eagle Manufacturing. The safety cans are superior >in that use< because they have the flash screen. But for storage, the Wavian NATO can is hard to beat.

TLDR;
The Wavian is best suited for long-term storage.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
What is the source of Atlantic British receiving a "cease-and-desist" letter ?

My brother, who is nuts about these cans (something about Kroger fuel point hoarding by buying gift cards for everything, then getting a big discount on fuel, so he hauls a pickup load of these to Kroger when he gets gas), was talking to them on the phone. Their computer generated shipping calculator is nuts, so he called them to get it fixed, and they told him about the EPA letter. Then my other older brother called them a week later, chatted them up, and he was about to get a 10% discount, then the guy said he'd better not since the ones they have are the last of them. I don't think they've posted it anywhere.

A Sigforum exclusive scoop!!

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8272 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigcrazy is dead on. I watched that video and read a lot of various reviews about welds and interior coatings before investing in my wavian cans

I need to up my game with respect to quantity of storage cans though. Maybe I’ll order another 4 pack. My wife ridiculed me for my first purchase. I do have a couple of cheap 2.5 gallon red plastic cans that gets cycled through very quickly for my riding mower.

I do suggest multiple spouts. The good metal ones. If you need to lend a can to somebody they will need a spout.

Posts: 4943 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use Motorcycle gas cans . I have 2 for emergency.

The tree huggers has led to the screwing up of even the simple gas can. The red smaller jugs I have with the required earth friendly leaky crap get changed over to simple spouts by EZ pour

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I have eight of the 20 liter green cans with short and "donkey dick" nozzles that I use for gas storage (adding Stabl and rotating can usage) for cars and genny when needed. The two 10 liter cans are used for mixed fuel for the 2-stroke tools. I recently got the two yellow 20 liter cans (with "diesel" sticker and each with short nozzles) for the diesel for my little tractor loader/backhoe.

Being retired, am not commuting, mainly for the genny (that runs on both gas and natural gas).

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I replaced my old gas lawn mower with a battery powered one a couple years ago, so the only thing I have that runs on gas (other than my truck) is my old chain saw. A moderately sized backup generator may or may not be in the cards at some point. Even so, I'm considering picking up a couple of these while I can, just on the principle of "it's better to have it and not need it than vice versa". Well, there may be a little bit of "f*** the EPA bullshit" in there too.

But for those of us who haven't paid attention to this over the years:

1. If the EPA-approved part is the spout, why are the cans themselves marked "For non-potable water only"?

2. Are they safe for potable water? I use plastic cans for drinking water for camping, just curious.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
But for those of us who haven't paid attention to this over the years:

1. If the EPA-approved part is the spout, why are the cans themselves marked "For non-potable water only"?

2. Are they safe for potable water? I use plastic cans for drinking water for camping, just curious.

I think it's because all consumer gas cans have to include a spill-proof spout. By marking them as water only, it eliminated the need for an accompanying spout. The cans, however, have "Petrol" stamped into them during mfg. I'm guessing that this is what attracted EPA attention. Especially since the "Water Only" label is easily removed, and its purpose is clearly to skirt the regulation.

I have now ordered another four. This will give me 35 cans alongside four 10L cans and two 5L ones. Five are WW2 suplus, and two are inferior GI cans. I hope they run out soon. Its like I'm on crack.

I also keep 250 gallons of diesel on hand, but I use recovered semi truck fuel tanks. Diesel keeps ok without being in an air-tight container.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I ordered the 4-pack but did not get a gasket or spout.
What gasket and spout should I order?
Totally new to jerry cans.

Posts: 18337 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Gasket set - 5 pack

Long nose spout

This spout is brilliant, but I toss the included plastic keeper in the trash like it’s a trigger lock.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:;
The Wavian is best suited for long-term storage.

Thank you and I did read your post. Smile I don’t store fuel for more than a year, but I can see how these would be good for longer term storage.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notice ya'll as I was unaware this was happening.

I love and continue to use these cans. Picked up a 2 pack just moments ago.

Posts: 597 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Fucking EPA. Thanks a lot, Dick Nixon Roll Eyes

Love Canal comes to mind.

The entire third world has no EPA. They look just dandy.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
welllllll.... ordered 4 more

I should be set for hurricane season with 8 Wavian, 2 harbor freight. my plastic ones are old and weathered anyway, some leak. Time to replace, and honestly there not much difference in price

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6290 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
About 10 years back I ordered a Big Ticket item, a Wavian 20L with the 'approved' CalTrans 'safety spout'. Using often during mowing/gardening season, within 6 weeks the 'safety' spout had become useless unless you wanted intentional spilling of gasoline on your person and all close areas.

Called the company, they apologized profusely & offered to send a real spout that day.

Modern plastic safety spout versions remain largely unusable in ease of filling up various small implements.

My priceless collection of vintage metal mower cans, going back to original "Lawnboy' all have minor screw can issues.

Now using regularly with zero complaints. I will be ordering additional Wavians. They just don't compare with any other product for my home use.

The Eagle red round steel US made can with the yellow spout works well but is awkward with no convenient support handle handy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: signewt,

Posts: 9872 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Gasket set - 5 pack

Long nose spout

This spout is brilliant, but I toss the included plastic keeper in the trash like it’s a trigger lock.

Exactly ... ! Love the long spout, and I too tossed the spout keepers that attach to the can in the garbage.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. Atlantic British offer Wavian and NATO cans that are both made in Europe. The Wavians are $89 and the similar NATO cans are considerably less expensive.

Are these the same cans? The pictures of both (if accurate) have Wavian embossed.

Too late now as I splurged on two Wavians and the flexible spout but I'm curious how they compare incase I want more.

I'll call Monday and ask.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
FRAUD ALERT!!!

No lie, it happened this morning about 90 minutes after I phoned in a live order to the "Atlantic British" link posted above on 1st page, about post #5 or so, linked as "rover parts" yet linking to "Atlantic British" site with 1-800xxxxxx phone number.

The order call seemed legit, took order info totaling $103+ and promised deliver in 'about a week from NYC' to Oregon address.

My bank advised there was 'suspected fraudulent activity' resulting in a billing for $950+ charge.

The incident is being investigated. but account was frozen and various phone records are being examined.

I went in person to my local branch to clarify what might be going on. They spoke directly with whoever was on the other end of the line when I called back to the "order desk". That still seemed legit yet did agree 'something isn't normal' appearing on their own internal files.

I confirmed with my banker 'order amount is unauthorized and fraudulent'. They froze the account & canceled that card.

Guess I'll look elsewhere for my next Wavian.

Good luck out there.

Posts: 9872 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’ve received three orders from them in the last week. Probably ten orders in the last few years. It sounds more like a mistake than fraud.