SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why can seemingly intelligent adults differ so wildly on common points?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can seemingly intelligent adults differ so wildly on common points? Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daved1023:
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
GO fuck myself??? Am I not entitled to my opinion? And when I made that statement I wasn't just talking about firearms. You may love Trump and that's fine I may be completely wrong in my beliefs about him but at least I'm man enough to admit it. I don't have to resort to vulgar language just because someone doen't fell the same way I do.

Entitled? No. What public school indoctrinated bullshit have you swallowed?

You certainly sound very, "entitled."

Stop with your feelings. Just like getting butthurt over a common phrase, and the spewed nonsense you threw out that brought it.

Pale Horse's response to your emotional ridiculousness was spot on.
I can always tell when someone is losing a debate...they start swearing and calling names because they have nothing intelligent to say

If you think you've said anything intelligent in this thread, you really are delusional.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
quote:
quote:
GO fuck myself??? Am I not entitled to my opinion? And when I made that statement I wasn't just talking about firearms. You may love Trump and that's fine I may be completely wrong in my beliefs about him but at least I'm man enough to admit it. I don't have to resort to vulgar language just because someone doen't fell the same way I do.

Stop with your feelings. Just like getting butthurt over a common phrase, and the spewed nonsense you threw out that brought it.

I can always tell when someone is losing a debate...they start swearing and calling names because they have nothing intelligent to say

Ha ha ha ha ha - What fucking debate are you talking about?

You just dropped a big old stinky turd in the middle of our living room.

You’re new round here, huh … maybe listen and learn a little before pissing everyone off. Just my 0.02 pesos
I couldn't care less about pissing people off. If I have something to say, I'll say it. And why is being new around here a bad thing

Posts: 14 | Registered: December 10, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If you think you've said anything intelligent in this thread, you really are delusional.
Really?? And you have?

Posts: 14 | Registered: December 10, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:

Ha ha ha ha ha - What fucking debate are you talking about?

You just dropped a big old stinky turd in the middle of our living room.

You’re new round here, huh … maybe listen and learn a little before pissing everyone off. Just my 0.02 pesos
I couldn't care less about pissing people off. If I have something to say, I'll say it. And why is being new around here a bad thing

Being new isn’t bad.

But poor insulting form and ignorance of local culture while visiting someone’s place is a major faux pas.

Being immune to the fact that you’re pissing people off is pathologically psychotic; or in other words … an asshole.

Not expecting pushback would be severely childish.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
The same could be said for Trump and his followers
Happy trails, shit head.

Banned

Posts: 109166 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Rey HRH's description of the challenge; that everyone's foundation is significantly different.

Much of the problem reconciling differing belief systems is simply a lack of contact with those of different beliefs, and a lack of face to face discussion of same. I'm guilty as well, almost no contact with members of the other political party, and unfortunately, absolutely no discussion of political topics.

Those spouting simple inanities like "liberalism is a mental disorder", or a religion, or liberals lack common sense, however many of the simplistic and trite catch phrases thrown about, obviously haven't had a discussion of a thoughtful member from the other clan. Certainly, in this forum, one is not going to materialize, and I understand that.

I'd like to think that 80% of this country could speak readily to one another, at ease, and reach either consensus on a topic, or agree to disagree on an ultimate goal based upon some preference. Lets say that 10% at each extreme may be unreachable, and dealing with beliefs not anchored in common fact or truth.

Posts: 73 | Registered: February 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prj:
I like Rey HRH's description of the challenge; that everyone's foundation is significantly different.

Much of the problem reconciling differing belief systems is simply a lack of contact with those of different beliefs, and a lack of face to face discussion of same. I'm guilty as well, almost no contact with members of the other political party, and unfortunately, absolutely no discussion of political topics.

Those spouting simple inanities like "liberalism is a mental disorder", or a religion, or liberals lack common sense, however many of the simplistic and trite catch phrases thrown about, obviously haven't had a discussion of a thoughtful member from the other clan. Certainly, in this forum, one is not going to materialize, and I understand that.

I'd like to think that 80% of this country could speak readily to one another, at ease, and reach either consensus on a topic, or agree to disagree on an ultimate goal based upon some preference. Lets say that 10% at each extreme may be unreachable, and dealing with beliefs not anchored in common fact or truth.

I've held that belief in the past. That if we could just listen to, and care about one another...it would bridge the gap of difference and result in a peaceful tolerance. Unfortunately, that belief is a fallacy. Mental illness isn't just a "catch phrase", it is true. I've attempted these discussions many times. Not just in internet debate with keyboard warriors, but in person. With family members, with parishioners, with classmates in graduate studies, with co-workers. My post prior to the drama here, is not just a quick internet opinion. It's a summary of my experiences over decades.

Your heart seems in the right place, it is a great thing that you believe the best about people. I think you're wrong, as a generalization.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’m curious. If part of the problem is a lack of face to face conversations, why from the top down on the left that conversation is always a lecture?

Every time we hear “we need to have a national discussion on......”, it’s never a discussion and always a lecture. “Compromise” is always similar to the mob strong arming business owners out of money, then telling them “we are doing you a favor only taking $1000 per week instead of $2000”.

Online, face to face, that’s the way it always is.

Take “compromise” on “reasonable, common sense gun safety”. It is always taking of Rights from law abiding citizens. The “compromise” never actually includes gun owners getting anything. It’s always them taking less than what they first stated. And it never does anything to reduce crimes, because strangely enough, criminals don’t obey laws.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mental illness isn't just a "catch phrase", it is true.
Your heart seems in the right place, it is a great thing that you believe the best about people. I think you're wrong, as a generalization.

Excerpt for brevity.
Well, not sure what to say about your experience, perhaps you're talking to the 10% on one extreme or a member of the other 10%? Neither I, nor any of my friends, acquaintances, etc... have a "mental illness" as you suggest.

And to be clear, people are idiots and suck until they prove differently, so I'm completely unburdened by caring or having a heart in the right place. I just think that we all likely have much more in common than the current zeitgeist suggests.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't think Trump wanted/wants to control others and just look at his followers. They are the definition of controlled.

Oh really?

How about you give us some examples?

quote:
They believe everything he says, ...

Hardly. Examples abound, even right here on this very forum: Donald Trump is a first-rate ass clown, but....

quote:
Am I not entitled to my opinion?

Sure you are.

Now, about those examples of Trump being controlling and his followers wanting to be controlled...

quote:
Nice artwork

Perhaps they thought they were explaining to a third-grader?

quote:
quote:

Really?? And you have?

Walks into a forum in which even a cursory examination would reveal is mostly, if not majority, Trump-positive, bashes Trump and Trump supporters, gets hammered for it, whines about getting hammered, then suggests he's acted intelligently.

Uh huh

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
from the top down on the left that conversation is always a lecture?

Excerpt...
Right off the bat, the use of "always" belies some other challenge, its not the way people interested in a conversation start. I don't see that, though certainly my teenage boys suggest I do that on occasion.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Mental illness isn't just a "catch phrase", it is true.

Excerpt for brevity.
Well, not sure what to say about your experience, perhaps you're talking to the 10% on one extreme or a member of the other 10%? Neither I, nor any of my friends, acquaintances, etc... have a "mental illness" as you suggest.

And to be clear, people are idiots and suck until they prove differently, so I'm completely unburdened by caring or having a heart in the right place. I just think that we all likely have much more in common than the current zeitgeist suggests.

If you self-identify as a liberal, which is what I'm picking up from your response, my assertion is that foundationally I believe your beliefs to be self-service centered over self-sacrificing. We're speaking really broadly here, making assertions from a sentence or two without any face-to-face interactions which can speak even more deeply than words, however, (enough commas yet?) your last line proves my own broad assertion.

"...so I'[m completely unburdened by caring or having a heart in the right place" that line.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
from the top down on the left that conversation is always a lecture?

Excerpt...
Right off the bat, the use of "always" belies some other challenge, its not the way people interested in a conversation start. I don't see that, though certainly my teenage boys suggest I do that on occasion.

Ok, if you do not see it, give me an example of one “National conversation on gun safety” that included an expansion of Rights (national concealed carry, suppressors being put on 4473s, or other tangible results) that have materialized in the last 40 years.

Or the recent “national conversation on voting Rights”. What did it actually offer to secure fair elections? What did it offer Conservatives that Conservatives actually desired?

The answer is nothing. It is ALWAYS a lecture.

Pick any topic. It’s always emotion based. Never fact based. And always a lecture.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t wait until Sunday? No respect for tradition.

Meltdowns are customarily conducted on Sunday so members can enjoy them while sipping cocktails and noshing hors d'oeuvres. Do we need a sticky?

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All this is sidebar to an interesting thread. a new one titled Conversation with a Moderate would be a more appropriate venue for much of it.

And AKSuperDually, in your signature line, Reagan is spelled with an "a" Wink

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Next you'll be chastising the memberfolk for not extending the pinkie whilst sipping soy lattes.

Oh, wait...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
All this is sidebar to an interesting thread. a new one titled Conversation with a Moderate would be a more appropriate venue for much of it.

This is your posting history: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...tType=1&u=7960076042

It includes you getting upset about the term "creatives" and then- chosen at random- this intelligent-conversation-promoting gem:
quote:
That said, we'll never be able to claim "peaceful transfer of power" again. Thanks for that, guys.
And this:
quote:
This is the most remarkable seditious bunch of hobbiests I've ever encountered.

Why are you here? Your posting history indicates no interest in firearms whatsoever. It appears all you want to do is to pop up in threads about social issues to be mildly snarky and to make statements which are exaggerations, such as how we've ruined the "peaceful transition of power."

You want attention? You have mine. Why are you here? This is a firearms discussion forum. Everything else is secondary. Why are you here?

And I will require an answer from you, or you can just leave right now.

Posts: 109166 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think it has been 4 or 5 years...I never noticed. I think I copied it from DevlDogs55....and never looked. Now that you've pointed it out, I can't unsee it.
Thanks.

www.rikrlandvs.com

posted Hide Post
Respectfully, I acquired a beautiful P225 and stumbled upon this forum a decade ago(!) looking for information on the gun and brand. I peruse other threads, and particularly enjoy the photo section. I've sourced information about said gun, and other various components reading here.

To clarify, I was one of a small number not upset by the term "creatives".

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The fishin’ is pretty good today…

but like P210 says … “Sunday Sunday Sunday at the US30 dragstrip!”

Respect the tradition dammit. Big Grin

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post