SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Updated, Pix 8/3:Thinking of trading the 2021 Highlander in on new 4Runner.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated, Pix 8/3:Thinking of trading the 2021 Highlander in on new 4Runner. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Bought the highlander a year ago with 10k miles on it. XLE model. Has everything on it. No has about 17k on it.
Wife's rig. Like new.
When we bought it last summer decided to go highlander vs 4Runer. Has plenty of room. Drives very nice. Has the V6. Gets very good mileage for the size and weight. She likes it. Me not so much. But I hardly drive it.
Choose it for all the reasons above and she was going from an older Lexus suv and wanted comfort over utility. I was ok with it as the Highlander is a very capable winter/light off road type rig.

A year later (I) am thinking the reverse and thinking 4Runner.
Have not talked with her other than having some discussion when we bought it that maybe down the road we might consider the Honda Pilot as I like Honda and like the new pilot. But the 4Runner as you all know is a rig that has a lot of allure for me as a basic, stardard 4wd original type SUV.

So a few question for ya all. What do you think I can get as a trade in the highlander. I am hoping high thirties (38)?
We did buy a extended warranty from the dealership and it was a dealer "Certified Toyota".

On a new 4Runner what are the differences on their models. Not looking at limited or even pro models.
Std vs premium. SR5 package vs TRD, etc?

Thanks guys

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Go to Carmax and enter the info they ask for. They’ll make you a cash offer. That way you can figure out how bad the dealer is diddling you on your trade-in.

https://www.carmax.com/

Your wife likes the one you have. You say it’s “like new”. And you bought an extended warranty on it. If you’re not having problems with it I don’t think it makes any sense to get rid of it. YMMV.

Posts: 27149 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The concept of replacing a 2021 model vehicle is foreign to us . If it was nickel and diming you I could get on board with it I guess . What does the new vehicle do that the old one doesn't ? If you just want a new vehicle then go for it .

Posts: 4234 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
She likes it.

Not trying to offend but, if she likes it, why you trying to mess with that?

quote:
But I hardly drive it.

Even more ammo to my question of why mess with things.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4572 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I get it guys and good questions. I am just not fond of it. But yes, her rig and she likes it. She is not a car person. So vehicles are not something she thinks much about other than comfort, safety and reliability. Which the Highlander definitely checks all the boxes.

Lets try to answer the questions I posed at this point. It is doubtful this would happen but want the info so I can talk with her on the subject while the 2024 4Runner is still available.

Thanks guys.

posted Hide Post
I test drove a couple of 2024 Honda Pilots. Both higher end "Elite" models. Both were very noisy. Road noise, not engine noise or wind noise. The Pilot was much worse than the Chev Traverse or Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was very disappointing and a deal breaker for me.

Posts: 613 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Doesn't your highlander have the 3.5 v6? Many consider that Toyota's most durable engine. On the other hand, 2024 is the last year for the 4L so if you want a new one this is your last chance. I would not do it.

Posts: 4810 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yes it does doublesharp.

Honda's are know for some road noise. Not a deal breaker for me. But odd that do not feel that is something they should address.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
So she likes it, you admit it checks the boxes for comfort, safety, and reliability, and you hardly drive it.

Did she piss in your Cheerios?
Did you win the lottery and can't figure out how to spend all the money?

Posts: 3519 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
No, I tried to explain my thinking. But guess that went over head honest.

It is her rig. If she wants to keep it, great. I have no issue with that.

Comprendo?

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
So she likes it, you admit it checks the boxes for comfort, safety, and reliability, and you hardly drive it.

Did she piss in your Cheerios?
Did you win the lottery and can't figure out how to spend all the money?

All fair questions.

I cannot fathom that my wife and I would buy a SUV that checks all the boxes for us, is rated excellent for safety and reliability, she likes it, only to approach her and tell her I want her to get rid of the vehicle (that she likes and I rarely drive) and move her into a vehicle that I like (let be honest its cause of the cool factor here).

Just no way. I respect my wife too much to pull such a stunt.

quote:
I tried to explain my thinking. But guess that went over head honest.

Yeah, my take on what you were thinking was "I want a 4Runner and the wife will just have to deal with it, who cares what she wants or likes"

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4572 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Listen guys, when we bought the Highlander we talked about a 4Runner which she was thinking that is what she wanted. Through the decision making process that was more or less a toss up and the highlander was chosen. In part because we found one that was a gem. Liked the dealer and they gave us a far trade in and what we thought was a fair deal on the Highlander.
So it was not like I wanted to get a 4Runner and she wanted a Highlander persae. It was a decision we came to together although ultimately she is happy with it. She would of also been equally happy with a 4Runner.
Again, I think the highlander is a really good rig. It will not be worth any more than it is right now. And the 4Runner is going away for ever for me at the end of this year.
So before writing the 4Runner off forever. I am just kicking this around.
"If" it does not matter to her. I could see adding $10k to the Highlander and get a 4Runner. WHich I am sure she would like.

Lets move on to the trade in value and the 4Runner model questions I have plz.

Thanks

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Blue Book for a 21 XLE with 10k miles in Very Good condition and with standard equipment is around $35k private sale or $32.5k trade-in, with some variation based on location. And obviously trade-in value will also vary from dealer to dealer.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Hell life is short. If the 4Runner floats your boat and you can afford the move from the Highlander, go for it. Smile

Can't help you with the cost - trade queries.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16505 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Blue Book for a 21 XLE with 10k miles in Very Good condition and with standard equipment is around $35k private sale or $32.5k trade-in, with some variation based on location. And obviously trade-in value will also vary from dealer to dealer.

Thanks Rogue, that sounds pretty accurate I would think.

Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
SR5 is the base model, with the TRD Off Road it adds some off road capability such as a rear locker, terrain select, and crawl control. Can get one of these very nicely equipped without doing a TRD Pro or the Limited. Actually can get the TRD Off Road with KDSS and cannot get that on the TRD Pro.

Posts: 478 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Let me be the one to pivot in a different direction and ask suggest leaving the Highlander for her and you get a 4 Runner for yourself (if it’s financially feasible , of course). Big Grin

That’s a win/win.

Few years ago we shopped both. 4 Runner felt archaic to me compared to the Highlander so we went with the Highlander.

Posts: 13280 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^You may be on to something there, Edmond! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys Smile Ain't gonna happen.

I am a pick up guy. And if anything would happen down the road it would be upgrading there Big Grin

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m solidly in the 4Runner camp. I’ve owned several over the last 30 years. The only suv I’d own besides it would be a Land Cruiser. Someday I’ll have a 200 series.

Toyota has screwed the pooch with its new truck & suv engines. Sounds like you’re aware of this. We currently have two 4Runners… a 2007 with the V8. I love that rig and have put over 230k miles on it. Other one is 2016 Limited. The 4.0 V6 is a solid engine as well.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7057 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post