SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Updated, Pix 8/3:Thinking of trading the 2021 Highlander in on new 4Runner.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated, Pix 8/3:Thinking of trading the 2021 Highlander in on new 4Runner. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks vthoky, Is there a lady in the family?. My wife is a bit iffy on it.

What model or trim is yours yours? it is nice.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19807 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
My lady loves the color too, if that's what you're asking. Go take a look if you can; I don't think you (or Mrs ORC) will be turned off by it.

This one is the TRD Off-Road Premium. And thank you.

Last week brought the first road trip. I didn't check the mileage going south (to the flatlands), but coming back (to the mountains) we ran fairly hard and still got 19 mpg. It's a thirsty fella, but I knew that going in. The diesel sedan here is "the daily," at roughly twice the fuel economy.

God bless America.

Posts: 13935 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Turns out, update “last post” only works if you also had the ability to lock your thread and close at that point. As soon as somebody post after that, WOW(!!!), they are the last post!
Maybe instead refer to a general area on the page number.

/last post

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12741 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is what I was asking Smile

Wife said it looks like an elephant Big Grin

Might be able to change it up with a partial wrap?

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Haha, I hadn't really thought about it being "elephant gray." Big Grin

I'm sure you could wrap it if you wanted... I'm tellin' ya, though, I like the color. If Mrs ORC is referring to the pic I posted, that does appear somewhat lighter/brighter than reality.

Here's a screen grab from Toyota's web site ... more accurate than my crummy phone pic. Wink

- - - - -

Edited slightly for clarity.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.

Posts: 13935 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks VT, the off rd premium is also what we are considering.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Wife said it looks like an elephant Big Grin

Please give Mrs ORC a Razz for me.
Vehicles in our house almost always get nicknames, and this one's name hasn't developed yet. But thanks to Mrs ORC saying it looks like an elephant, I keep thinking "Dumbo." Big Grin

God bless America.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ya, that works vt Wink

Looks like if we do it, gonna be a SR5 Premium in Ice cap. Has things that are important to her. Vegan leather and power, heated seats and steering wheel.
For me no rear locker is the biggest thing. But not huge. Has skidplates, Moon roof blackout badging, door edge guards. The other premium package items. Pretty sweet and the color is better for her, me too to be honest. I could of lived with the underground. But did not really care for it. Also just under $2k cheaper than the TRD OR premium.

Dealer is giving us a great trade in on our Highlander.
It is kind of a tough decision. I drove the highlander yesterday for about 160 miles. Was a joy to drive. Great mileage and comfort. More interior room than the 4Runner. Also has 4 bucket seats, which is a plus. No more money to spend on a new rig. Tough decision. Wife is good either way. She though she wanted a 4Runner orig. But decided on the comfort features and was more like her Lexus we traded in.

The driving force behind doing it is that this is the last chance to get a new 4Runner for me with the new gen coming.

Tough decision. Today is the day to decide.

Btw, the 4Runner is in the build ph. now. Probably coming later this month or early Aug.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is kind of a tough decision. I drove the highlander yesterday for about 160 miles. Was a joy to drive. Great mileage and comfort. More interior room than the 4Runner. Also has 4 bucket seats, which is a plus. No more money to spend on a new rig. Tough decision.

Sooo, if that's your assessment, and it's everything the wife needs/wants, I don't understand...The Highlander probably has at least another 250K Miles in it, and depending on miles driven per year, you 'may' not ever need to replace it. Wouldn't the extra dollars be better spent if put towards an AC solution at Casa ORC?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

To be brutally honest, as much worrying and handwringing as ORC has done in various threads over the years involving saving/investing money and his limited budget, I'm quite shocked to see him putting so much time and effort into attempting to justify what appears to be a totally unnecessary large expenditure.

Keep the Highlander. Keep that extra $$$$ you're trying to justify throwing at a depreciating asset when you already have a low mileage, dependable car that you like and that meets 100% of your needs. Put it to back into your retirement savings or your emergency fund or wherever, or if it's absolutely burning a hole in your pocket at least invest it towards something like home repairs/upgrades.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I cannot argue with that sentiment guys. At least the one about spending additional $ when we have a rig that is great and will serve us great for a lot of years moving forward? Wink

Besides the last year of the 4Runner in this iteration deal. There is one other aspect that I not discussed that might or might not happen where the 4Runner would be a benefit over the Highlander.

Outside of those I agree the Highlander in this scenario makes the most sense.

Thanks guys.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
More interior room than the 4Runner.

Interesting! We were talking at work last week about which was bigger, 4Runner or Highlander. I figured the 4Runner. Looks like I was wrong. Wink

God bless America.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I don't think the difference is huge vt. But when we got the Hghlander I was a bit surprised how much room it had. Especially in the back seat area. Having bucket seats in the second row does open it up quite a bit.

The other about bucket second row seats is it does limit using the bench seat for storing or hauling stuff on the bench seat. Which it is surprising how much you do that. Also if you have dogs that ride in second seat area buckets do not work well for that. So there is good and bad with both set ups.

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also if you have dogs that ride in second seat area buckets do not work well for that.

We toss an old pillow between the seats and cover it with something like this Hammock Seat Protector. No issues with 2 labs Smile

Posts: 1823 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Sure, you can do things like that, just not as convenient.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So tonight was the night. Told the wife about the comments here and I tended to agree we should probably keep the Highlander, but it is her decision and we need to discuss and decide. She cut me off and said "Just do it"
Now for those that are of the opinion this was my decision and she just gave in and said do it. First you do not know me or her. I did set the stage, but ultimately it was her decision, will be her rig. She did not give in to me. I think she will be happy with it as long is the ride is not terrible. She has driven the Tundra. Which is a rough riding rig. Thinking the 4Runner will be between the Highlander and Tundra. Which should be fine. She also likes it in Ice cap white. Again, thanks guys for the info, suggestions and advice.

Yes I did start this process. Posting about it here was a way to help sort it out on my end. Ultimately I agree with those that were in the keep the Highlander camp. But it looks like its going to be a 4Runner Big Grin

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Sooo she's a keeper then...Not the Highlander, Mrs. ORC! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
it looks like its going to be a 4Runner Big Grin

Do keep us posted, man!

quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Sooo she's a keeper then...Not the Highlander, Mrs. ORC! Wink

That's right! (Even if she did say my T4R looks like an elephant. Razz )

God bless America.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yea, she is Wink . Thanks guys.

More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Exactly.

To be brutally honest, as much worrying and handwringing as ORC has done in various threads over the years involving saving/investing money and his limited budget, I'm quite shocked to see him putting so much time and effort into attempting to justify what appears to be a totally unnecessary large expenditure.

Keep the Highlander. Keep that extra $$$$ you're trying to justify throwing at a depreciating asset when you already have a low mileage, dependable car that you like and that meets 100% of your needs. Put it to back into your retirement savings or your emergency fund or wherever, or if it's absolutely burning a hole in your pocket at least invest it towards something like home repairs/upgrades.

YOLO, baby.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8889 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post