SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Updated, Pix 8/3:Thinking of trading the 2021 Highlander in on new 4Runner.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated, Pix 8/3:Thinking of trading the 2021 Highlander in on new 4Runner. Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I have a 2023 ORP. It has a frame, it pulls my fishing boat adequately, and if driven like an old man gets over 20 MPG. I have yet to do any serious four wheeling, but it will go any place I need it to. It has a rear diff lock, crawl control, and other goodies I have yet to use. It should last a very long time with normal maintenance. Every common vehicle will depreciate. Have you both test driven one..or two? The highlander is probably a bit more comfortable. There are a ton of mods for the 4Runner. I tried to get the wife into a Highlander a few years back. We went the Lexus RX350 instead. Those are also excellent vehicles, but definitely in a different class than the 4Runner.

Sounds like a serious test drive is in order first.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 11003 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
First, check and see if any 2024 4Runners are even available with what you want on it. I did the same thing the end of Apirl; trading a paid off 2023 Tacoma TRD Off Road in for a 2024 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Plus....it took the dealer around 10 days to find one with what I wanted on it and I ended up with my second choice for color even then. I got almost exactly what I paid for the Tacoma in trade in (I even heard the Service Manager was going to buy so it never actually hit the sales lot). They will be switching over shortly to building the new 2025 4Runner, so there might not be too many 2024s left. The first years of any new generation of vehicles have issues: 2022-2024 Tundras and the new 2024 Tacoma. There is no history on these 4 cylinder turbo engines so one knows IF they will be reliable or not. I do know that several Toyota mechanics I know have said they have NEVER been inside the 5th gen 4Runner engine and the only reason Toyota is making the change is due to Government MPG and Emissions requirements.

Posts: 4071 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
No, I tried to explain my thinking. But guess that went over head honest.

It is her rig. If she wants to keep it, great. I have no issue with that.

Comprendo?

I guess I should have added a Smile

My comments were a mild attempt at humor combined with a somewhat serious “why do anything”?

No offense intended.

Posts: 3554 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You better hurry. The 6th gens are headed for lots now. I dont think many of bullet proof 5th gens will be around much longer. The last of the naturally aspirated V6 are history in the 4R. I picked up a new 2024 Off Road Premium in February when it was announced they are going to the new 4 cyl. Good luck.....and hurry.

Posts: 765 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before you commit to a 4Runner be sure you understand that these trucks are NOT at all peppy or powerful. On even moderate grades at higher elevation the Toyota 4.0 is a dog. At 600’ where I live it’s just adequate. The little turbo 4 in my full-size Chevy work truck easily out runs and out hauls it.
Aside from the lack of power I like the old style-ness. SR5 Premium has enough options to suit an old style guy, including Atrac traction control. The SR5 also has a scary amount of nose dive under hard braking. The Off-road model has shocks, rear locker and crawl control to help from getting stuck, all of little use on the road even in snow.
I want to add that I get 18.5 mpg all around driving per the dashboard. I have added stock size BFG AT tires and a full length roof rack.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 400 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Our adult daughter trader her 4Runner in on a Highlander Platinum. I don’t know?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4280 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jed7s9b:
...Before you commit to a 4Runner be sure you understand that these trucks are NOT at all peppy or powerful. On even moderate grades at higher elevation the Toyota 4.0 is a dog. At 600’ where I live it’s just adequate...

Not my experience. My 2019 4Runner handles mountain passes without breaking a sweat. Tons of power from the NA 4.0.
I like the transmission, too. Excellent old-school drive train.

Posts: 1796 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
What does the 4 runner get HER that SHE doesn't have with the highlander, that SHE needs?

Posts: 8185 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went through this exact scenario. I would go for the 4-Runner every time EXCEPT for one issue: With advancing age and arthritis, getting in and out of a 4-wheel drive vehicle is difficult for my wife. The height of the Highlander is perfect for her.

Posts: 1370 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, Fender, Nothing really.

I did talk with the dealer we got the Highlander from. Made me a really good offer on a new trd off road premium for the Highlander and cash.
Talked with the wife briefly about it. Resistant but not a firm no. I won't push her into it. I will let him know Monday unless she changes her tune.

Add: two things to add about the highlander. There is a whirling sound that starts at about 40 mph. It is a supposed thing with them. She also says there is a "tick" from the engine when starting. I do not hear it, so not sure about that. When I drive it on rare occasion The center console hits my right leg just below the side of my knee and is irritating. So just a few things that make "me" want to move on from it.

Appreciate all the info guys. Enjoy the day.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19807 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tick is probably from the high pressure air pump. The 4Runner will have it also

Another to consider would be a 2023 GX460 since it sounds like she likes the comforts of the Highlander. With new model 550’s hitting the lots you may find a good deal on a 460. It’s essentially a Prado global platform until remodel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6304 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cajunmuscle:
You better hurry. The 6th gens are headed for lots now. I dont think many of bullet proof 5th gens will be around much longer. The last of the naturally aspirated V6 are history in the 4R. I picked up a new 2024 Off Road Premium in February when it was announced they are going to the new 4 cyl. Good luck.....and hurry.

Looking for same with KSDD............how is yours setup?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4659 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
Originally posted by cajunmuscle:

Looking for same with KSDD............how is yours setup?

KDSS

. Just clarifying imtent

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6304 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I had a 2015 Lexus GX460 and a 21 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium which I just sold. They were both completely bulletproof but as others have mentioned, I would stay away from the new Toyota engines. Toyota has for now, recalled 100k vehicles which they have no remedy for yet. Also, I would look at a used GX as they almost fall into the same price range as a used 4Runner.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1864 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a 4R that is guaranteed to be what you expect you must buy a 2014 with the 4.0 V6. That motor is not available in the 2015 6th generation. You will get a Turbo 4 cylinder or a hybrid in the new ones. If Toyota holds true, they will likely be good motors but do not yet have the track record of reliability that the 4.0 6 cylinder motor has. There has been some griping about the turbo 4 amongst the Tacoma crowd.
Also the 5th gen 4R is built like a truck on a separate frame versus the Highlander which is unit body construction, the 4R rides firmer like a truck. I am not sure which construction type the 6th gen is built on.
But I digress, I LOVE my 4R!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2954 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
you must buy a 2014 with the 4.0 V6. That motor is not available in the 2015 6th generation.

Rip Van Winkle post or maybe too much pappy? Wink

Posts: 4837 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
quote:
Originally posted by jed7s9b:
...Before you commit to a 4Runner be sure you understand that these trucks are NOT at all peppy or powerful. On even moderate grades at higher elevation the Toyota 4.0 is a dog. At 600’ where I live it’s just adequate...

Not my experience. My 2019 4Runner handles mountain passes without breaking a sweat. Tons of power from the NA 4.0.
I like the transmission, too. Excellent old-school drive train.

The 4.0 does not have tons of power. It's a common compliant that it just lacks response or peppiness. I find it lacking in lower end torque for its displacement. I have driven mine up many passes and almost everyone cruises right on by. Maybe they are redlining the tach. The drive by wire throttle insures that the engine is never stressed. That helps mileage and longevity. If I ever replace mine it will be something that's runs a little stronger. I guess I'm spoiled from driving mostly full-size trucks.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 400 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The dealership tried to make a reasonable deal for a nicely setup 4Runner. The salesman was really good.
Wife declined and we'll keep her Highlander. It is a nice rig overall. Like I said in an earlier thread on it. Good power, tons of room, great gas mileage. The 3.5L v6. AWD,
I would of done the swap. But not what she wanted to do. And as I said I was not going to go against her wishes. Although I could of I guess Big Grin

Thanks snwghst on the tidbit about the tick and the high pressure air pump.

Again, thanks for all the info and suggestions guys.

Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Doesn't your highlander have the 3.5 v6? Many consider that Toyota's most durable engine. On the other hand, 2024 is the last year for the 4L so if you want a new one this is your last chance. I would not do it.

this a 1000 times over, the 3.5 is proven and reliable

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3355 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
After on Friday talking with the salesman and telling him we had decided on keeping our Highlander. And thanking him for his time and efforts in the process. He said no problem and let him know if we needed anything in the future.

Over dinner on Sunday my wife say's if you really want a 4Runner that is fine. Bless her heart. I told her no, keeping the Highlander is fine so I am good.

Fast forward to this morning I get an email from the salesman with a revised quote and wondered if we were still interested. Hmmmmm. Well, not sure.

Here is where it gets interesting. I tell him maybe and that we are not that far off from a number that would be too good to pass up. I did not tell him that exactly.

Here is where i could use a bit of help. The specific 4Runner is not in their inventory but
another dealer has it. It is a 24' TRD off road premium with leather, dual power seats. moon roof. Running boards, all weather floor liners and cargo tray package.

Standard tire and wheel package.

I have asked for the listing on the specific vehicle we are discussing or at least pix. For whatever reason he has been resistant to provide that. I have found it at the dealer based on the stock number that he gave me. It looks exactly as he has described it and as we have discussed. I kind of scratch my head. I told him i would contact them to discuss a deal with them. That is the only reason I can think of. The rig has 4 miles on it.

Any way they have made and offer and if they meet my final counter offer I am thinking of doing it. It is a very nice deal.

The two things I am thinking of not on the vehicle is the door edge protectors, and the roof rack cross members. Maybe a bug guard on the hood. Anything else I should be trying to get included?. Thanks guys.