SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A little advice regarding breaking up with my girlfriend?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little advice regarding breaking up with my girlfriend? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
This being SigForum I expect a few of the obligatory over-the-top macho answers, but I'd appreciate a few sincere answers as well.

Under normal circumstances this would never be something I would feel the need to post about, but the pandemic stuff is really messing me up.

I've been seeing the same girl for the past 8 months. She's madly in love with me (maybe too much) and sees us being married someday. While I do love her, I know that she is not 'the one' I am going to want to marry. (I'm 50 years old and am divorced after a 20 year marriage).

The rest of the details are non-factors, but I met someone with whom I have significantly more in common with and am really interested in exploring that relationship.

I'm not going to begin dating (even remotely) someone while I am committed to someone else.

I had planned on breaking us up a few weeks ago, and then she lost her job and we got put into "stay in place".

Bottom line, am I the poster-child for "Ass-Hat" if I break up with my out-of-work girlfriend who lives alone, in the middle of a pandemic?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Naw, an asshat would break up before valentine to avoid going out to dinner and a gift.

But you already know she’s not the one. No need to keep her on the line when she can move on also.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
... my out-of-work girlfriend who lives alone, in the middle of a pandemic?

Ouch. I don't envy your position. Not sure there is a "right" answer.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16707 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life is too short and even now more uncertain to continue a relationship that you have already determined is over. My bet is that she knows something is going on with the two of you. Just be kind and honest. She's not going to be happy about it and you'll be better for it.

Awake not woke

Posts: 568 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Is she a "stable" person under ordinary circumstances? If not, or if she is already very unsettled due to the Corona situation and recent job loss, would breaking up with her put her over the edge?

Posts: 3726 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
how old is she? does she live with you ie have no place of her own?

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:

Yes she is stable.

She's 44 and has her own place; along with her own money and saving to make due.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My advice: Don't try to wait for the "right time". If it's over, it's over. Call it. Don't continue just because it's comfortable, or because discontinuing it would be too uncomfortable right now.

I'm in the process of amicably divorcing my wife. We fell into that trap. And by doing so, we wasted several years of potential happiness by just sticking to the status quo since the alternative would be too immediately uncomfortable.

Yes, she will be upset in the short term. Yes, you will feel bad in the short term. But it'll pass for both of you, and you'll both be happier in the long run.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Get RHINO to do it for you. He has a certain way with words.

Posts: 4080 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
"Sweetie, I'm taking a step back from our relationship. It does not seem real to me anymore. We can still be friends, but that will have to be it". Fast and painful. Like a Band-Aid.

Two evenings ago a gal in line at the grocers wanted to know if I was stocking up on chips and soda. She had the come-hither eyes and body language. The Woodman of three months ago would have shacked up for three weeks. Right now, I think it would end up like the porch cat I've been feeding. There's another cat in the house now (a deceased friend's cat, diabetic, coming out of a feline nervous breakdown), and the porch cat has become a pain in the ass.

Off-loading an implied responsibility / duty is tough. But I've been dumped a few times. By sensible women Fast and painful. Like a Band-Aid.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Just send her a link to this thread.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I have my own story with a difference in age. If its right then follow your heart and don't delay, life is far to short, especially now. I did and I have never looked back once.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Once you made up your mind you are just stringing her along. Have the talk with her asap.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes she is stable.

She's 44 and has her own place; along with her own money and saving to make due.

Nonetheless: You stated in your OP that, while you feel she's not "the one," that you do love her. If you do love her, then do you really think laying this on her now would be the right thing to do?

I understand the other "life's too short" opinions, but I think we have to have a care for others. Particularly when times are tough.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't offer anything but Best Wishes and Prayers for all.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Just be honest. It's going to hurt no matter when. Putting it off just prolongs things. At this point waiting till this pandemic is over could be into the summer.

It will suck in the short term but be better in the long term. Just rip that bandage off.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Just a thought. If the other gal you want to date knows that. And also knows you have already have a girl friend. She will be a problem at some point. The tide maybe turned.

The grass ain't greener on the next hill.

I have no advice another than since you have admitted to being really upset over the virus now. You may not being thinking straight in terms of the hear and now.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"It's not you, it's me."

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes she is stable.

I'm in the rip the band-aid crowd. I don't see this getting better over time and the risk of losing an opportunity with another person who is seemingly a better option, which I am sure Is hard to come by, seems like a bad idea.

Don't let bad get worse, cut the cord and move on

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes she is stable.

Well there goes the issue with guilt for leaving high and dry.

Get out while it's easier, the longer it goes the harder it is.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post