SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for motorcycle riders
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for motorcycle riders Login/Join 
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
1. Yes, because they do reduce the incidence of head injuries. And, I'd prefer to leave a good looking corpse.

2. No. Same reason I don't believe that seatbelt use should be mandated. The government has no place in telling me how to take care of myself. They can make suggestions, but ultimately the decision should be my own.

YakTrax reduce the number of falls on ice and hence the cost of medical treatment for fractures and head injuries. Should we pass a law requiring people to wear them?
It seems as though many people still forget that it is a privilege to drive a motorized vehicale on a public street or highway and as such the state has the right to tell you to wear a helmet or seat belt. Why should the rest of us have to pay such high insurance rates because bikers do not want to wear helmets?? As soon as the state of Mi. passed the no helmet needed rule my insurance did go up and I do not ride a bike. Tell me why I have to pay higher rates.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Since we have public health care, we have corresponding helmet laws. In a place with private health insurance, I believe it should be a choice. Seriously, we always talk about letting stupid people Darwin themselves out of the gene pool, and motorcycles are no exception.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I used to ride 50/50 depending on the mood, past few years I've been wearing one 95% of the time.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Due to riding dirt bikes and racing motocross for 30+ years, I can not comfortably ride a street bike without a helmet on, just does not feel right - I have separate helmets for dirt and street (high quality full face styles). Have put some good scrapes and broken visors on my dirt bike helmets over the years, wouldn't want the pavement to do that to my head. Is my choice for me.

No, I do not think they should be required, is your choice.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I wear a high quality full face helmet when I ride. I also wear all of the other protective gear. I have had big pieces of gravel hit my face shield while travelling 70 mph. If that had hit my face, it could have been disastrous or at the very least, hurt like a bitch. Even when bugs hit my neck, it stings pretty good.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I always wear a helmet, jacket, and gloves even in the summer when it is hot as hell. In Texas, you are not required by law anymore to wear a helmet. I do find it odd to require car drivers to wear a seatbelt and not require a motorcycle rider to wear a helmet or to not allow car drivers the choice. I always use my seatbelt in my vehicle, but I think seatbelts and helmets should be a person's choice unless they are a child.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been 5 years since I've been on a bike. I always wore a helmet, armored jacket, gloves and boots.
Back in 1986, I totalled a friend's bike and if I didn't have the gear on, I would have been dead. Guaranteed.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I can see the comfort side of things, but I'm just not sure it would be worth the risk. I might feel differently if I rode every day.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
People who routinely didn't wear helmets were much more likely to not have insurance.

Don't wear one and don't fit that class. Neither do any of my friends who ride without one.

As far as insurance, some states, this one included don't require insurance.

A lot depends on where I'm riding as far as wearing the helmet. Last year my bike was totaled and it was one of the rarer times I had a helmet on. Didn't go down but it was odd.

You hit a area that is very valid. Drugs/alcohol can play into the stats. I find it odd the younger sport bike rider is under represented. I guess you broke it down into fault at some point? How many of those mva';s were the fault of another driver's lack of attention, or impairment on their part?

that said, there is little downside to wearing a quality helment.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I wear a helmet sometimes, especially on the freeway and in heavy traffic.

No, of course it shouldn't be required.

And the person who first started and those who perpetuate the idea that driving is a privilege should be beaten with large sticks in the town square, vigorously and repeatedly.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I go full ATGATT.

Studies show the chin is 40% of all head impacts, so full face for me. 40% is by far the highest percentage of impacts charted in head impacts.

I also wear full leather, pants zipping to the jacket, 100 joule armor and high end shin covering race boots and armored gloves with the last two fingers joined. This keeps the pinkie from taking a 90* bend in an unintentional dismount.

All the gear all the time.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
ATGATT for me in Montana, but helmets are not required here.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
People who routinely didn't wear helmets were much more likely to not have insurance.

Don't wear one and don't fit that class. Neither do any of my friends who ride without one.

As far as insurance, some states, this one included don't require insurance.

A lot depends on where I'm riding as far as wearing the helmet. Last year my bike was totaled and it was one of the rarer times I had a helmet on. Didn't go down but it was odd.

You hit a area that is very valid. Drugs/alcohol can play into the stats. I find it odd the younger sport bike rider is under represented. I guess you broke it down into fault at some point? How many of those mva';s were the fault of another driver's lack of attention, or impairment on their part?

that said, there is little downside to wearing a quality helment.

Fault didn't have any bearing. The paper solely looked at whether helmets would have mitigated the outcomes or not. In PA the healthcare system AKA people who have healthcare insurance absorbed $45 million (per 100k motorcycles registered in the state) for helmetless related crashes. In 2012 PA had 400k registered motorcycles....you can do the math on that one. So average Joe lunch box working his 9-5 job with healthcare insurance who has never sat on a motorcycle has to subsidize 180 million dollars annually because people don't want to wear helmets. The real tragedy isn't when people die from head injury without a helmet it's when they live. Long term care facilities saw a spike of about 87% increase in non-elderly residents within a year or two of law change. These sub-acute places charge like $5-10k a week. TBI patients are very costly. the way I see it if you don't want to wear a helmet fine...but if you don't have healthcare or motorcycle insurance coverage (or not covered by other parties involved) you should be an automatic DNR.

He alcohol part you mentioned is very telling. National statistics bare the same fruit. Unhelmeted riders are more likely to be involved in single vehicle accidents, at night, with alcohol or drugs onboard. Cruisers, not sport bikes, are much more often involved.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm puzzled by the folks who wear the leathers, armor pants, etc. but no helmet.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in NY we are required to wear them. Back in the late 80's I was glad they did! I always wore a full face, and was involved in an accident. According to the helmet's condition, it did a marvelous job of keeping my face from disintegrating into an ugly visage! That is, if I would have even lived through it.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always wear a full face helmet, jacket with protection, boots, and jeans. I think helmet should be required, although I can say I have never ridden without so not sure what I am missing I guess. I have not taken a spill on a road, but had a bad accident on a dirt bike where the helmet got cracked on a rock. They seem to work.

I have been hit several times going 70+ with rocks, big ass bugs, etc. I can't imagine getting hit on the face without a helmet.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first answer is 'sometimes'. Depends on where I'm going (long ride vs. around town) and if the bike has a windshield or not. Can't vote, as you have to fill in an answer for both questions.

The second answer is 'no'. As I also think wearing a seat belt should be a personal decision. Just like ones choice to carry a firearm for protection. Wink

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
I always did wear a full face helmet when riding.
I had one accident while on my motorcycle. I simply lost control on some loose gravel, traveling at 20mph. The damage to my helmet was extensive to say the least, I did fracture my sternum that day, enough said.

I wonder if wearing a helmet were to be made mandatory thus saving lives, medical costs and lowering the cost of insurance would benefit more motorcycle owners overall.

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not just helmet (a full-face one), I always wear boots, pants, jacket and gloves.

Do I think it should be the law? No, but as mentioned above, true freedom means personal responsibility, yet the govt. has placed medical responsibility on the taxpayers and that sucks (for the public to be forced to pay for someone else's stupidity,
-er "freedom").

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
No longer have a scooter, and don't think it's any of the gummint's damn business if scooter enthusiasts wear a helmet or not. Effing busybodies.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post