New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sardines Login/Join 
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
It's pretty tough to find a fish that I won't eat, but sardines are one of them.

Oysters are a whole 'nother matter though. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

That brings up my question, what process is used to at least somewhat clean out the insides of a sardine?

At the cannery? None. A machine cuts the heads and tails off, and they get popped into the can.

The open cans with the raw fish are pre-treated in a steam cabinet long enough to soften the bones and cook most of the oil out of them. Then the cans are drained and sent to the sealing line where they are topped off with the appropriate sauce and lids sealed on. I never gave it much thought, but I suppose the "guts" are pretty much liquified by the cooking process and drained with the oils and such.

From there they are cooked for a set period of time in a steam retort which is basically a steam pressure cooker.

That's it. Pack 'em up in cartons and ship 'em.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Sandwich. Rye bread, some Duke's mayo, some coarse ground mustard with horseradish, sardines, slice of onion, slice of cheddar cheese.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

That brings up my question, what process is used to at least somewhat clean out the insides of a sardine?

At the cannery? None. A machine cuts the heads and tails off, and they get popped into the can.

The open cans with the raw fish are pre-treated in a steam cabinet long enough to soften the bones and cook most of the oil out of them. Then the cans are drained and sent to the sealing line where they are topped off with the appropriate sauce and lids sealed on. I never gave it much thought, but I suppose the "guts" are pretty much liquified by the cooking process and drained with the oils and such.

From there they are cooked for a set period of time in a steam retort which is basically a steam pressure cooker.

That's it. Pack 'em up in cartons and ship 'em.

So when you eat sardines, you're eating fish shit? Eek

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I use them in my trap to catch coons

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Nah, they cook the shit out of them! Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
In survival training they said one can pretty much eat what a bird eats. Birds eat the fish whole much of the time, guts & all. That being the case, some fish guts should be O.K..

Posts: 6163 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
No. I can't get past the idea of eating fish guts. Steamed clams get a pass from me for the same reason. Kipper snacks are good though, on saltines with a little mustard and sharp cheddar.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My granddaddy ate sardines. My granddaddy LOVED sardines. If'n my granddaddy told me to eat sardines, I still wouldn't wouldn't, but he didn't and I ain't.

Now if God told me to, I would, but I wouldn't appreciate His punishment for all my other sins! (Since He didn't, I will settle for the fire and eternal damnation, and quit while I am ahead of the eternal sardines... Eek)

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Very healthy ~ High in protein and Omega 3

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
If the looks bother you, then just use a fork and mash/chop them up in the can before putting on whatever. I do that anyways because it's easier to put on a cracker that way than try to balance a little whole fish. Plus whatever sauce/juice is in the can gets distributed more evenly.

Posts: 4344 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I can't say I crave them or go out of my way to fine some, but if I look in the pantry for something to make a quick sammich and find a tin, I'll gladly eat and enjoy.

My first experience with the little fishy was on a train trip from Chicago to Norfolk 1961, in the Navy going off to technical school. Traveling with a buddy, we had about $5 between us and that had to last a week or so before we got paid and we need cab fair to the base. Went to the club car for dinner and the least expensive thing on the menu was a sardine sandwich on white bread. $1.75 or there abouts. (a McDonalds back then was 15 cents.) We ordered one and shared it. We were so damn hungry we gobbled it down without second though.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
My old man used to put the hot sauce ones on a cracker and pay me a buck to eat one when I was a kid. I remember them being a lot hotter back then. Usually made me cry but I was getting that buck. Big Grin

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy them.

Get the one's from Spain, they're spectacular. Any of the tapas or, pintxos with seafood are coming out of a can. Preserved in high-end olive oil, so good! I'll take a whole loaf of bread if necessary to sop-up all that golden goodness

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Meh, circle of life. When you drink water, you're drinking all the things that fish do in it. Up here our water supply is from Lake Ontario. And, the receptacle for our treated sewage is....Lake Ontario.

Back on topic - I love sardines and eat them right out of the can.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Whole sardines (no head or tail, yuck) with a little red vinegar and sweet onions on fresh rye bread. Le yummy.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Yes, King Oscar for sardines but surprised no one (unless I missed it) has mentioned Alstertor Herring 7oz cans in a variety of sauces such as dill-herb, dijon-mustard, paprika creme, or tomato sauce. Great stuff!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Love them in Mustard.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I just had my can for the day. My uncle turned me onto them years ago. I try to eat a can a day, but I probably eat about 5 per week.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1175 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like sardines on occasion. I use to eat them a few times a week, now it's every once in awhile. Now, I do give a can or two a week to my pup, she loves them! Of course I feed her sardines in water.

They are great for your pup! Protein packed and other nutrients.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post