New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sardines Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
My dad used to eat them. I never tried them-the smell and appearance was kinda off putting. Now, in my dotage, I decided to try them. I bought a tin of King Oscar Mediterranean Style and put them on a green salad. They’re still stinky and scary looking but they actually don’t taste or smell any worse than canned tuna. (Which I also don’t eat much)I guess if I don’t look at them hard they’re ok. And supposedly very good for me.

Do you eat sardines? How do you prepare a snack or meal with them?

Question:
Do you eat sardines?

Choices:
You betcha, they’re great
Only as a survival ration
Hocky no! hocky

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I love 'em! All kinds!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Love sardines either out of the can or on saltine crackers. Usually buy the boneless/skinless ones from Costco. Also anchovies on crackers but definitely on pizza

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Sandwich. Rye bread, some Duke's mayo, some coarse ground mustard with horseradish, sardines, slice of onion, slice of cheddar cheese. Side of beer, or if you're abstaining from alcohol, a soft drink or iced tea is fine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Ewww but they are good catfish bait.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Little white neighborhood Kitty followed me to the dumpster with the sardine can bag of kitchen trash. She wanted to check it out.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Heck yeah, I love them. I get the ones in olive oil and add a little Cajun Sunshine hot sauce. They're great on Ritz Crackers.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My favorite: King Oscar Tiny Tots. They’re bristling sardines.
On pumpernickel with French’s Dijon Mustard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely prefer them in oil and also like the smoked ones. Crackers mustard onions

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like the ones at Costco. Make cream cheese, onion and sardine sandwiches. Not for everyone but I like them.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Yes, I prefer them to Tuna. King Oscar is the best I've tried.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have them now and then when in the mood. My favorite variety is Chicken of the Sea in olive oil. Oily fish like sardines are nutritious. Don't worry about mercury, this is more of a problem with fish higher up on the food chain.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep about half a dozen tins on-hand for emergencies. Makes a nice change of pace from saltines and Vienna sausages, saltines and peanut butter, saltines and Duke mayonnaise. Current stash is Beach Cliff, product of Poland.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Nope.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Back when I was mowing lawns I used to eat a tin of sardines for lunch pretty much every day, usually the ones prepared with mustard, saltines were also involved most of the time. Mostly because lunch options were thin in the environs of NW DC, there was this little grocery store on McArthur Blvd. that had ludicrously high prices, but not much else for an impromptu meal. When I left that job they went out of business a few years later. Coincidence? I think not.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I like em but keep it to once every few weeks.

In the words of Stalekracker, "put dat on a crackuh due"

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Public Service Announcement: Make sure you only purchase and eat sardines from USA or Europe. NEVER from China. That is all I will say. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Up until a few months ago, I’d never had them. My son’s swim coach suggested my son needs more protein in his diet, so I did a little research on how to do it without breaking the bank. Sardines came up as an inexpensive source of protein plus a lot of other good stuff as well, so I bought some to try. If you can get over how they look and smell, they really aren’t bad.

Unfortunately, my son couldn’t get past that. They have made my hurricane supply list. I’m sure my wife and kids will get over it if they are hungry enough.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
Public Service Announcement: Make sure you only purchase and eat sardines from USA or Europe. NEVER from China. That is all I will say. God Bless Smile

Amen to that. 2 rules. If it's made in China don't eat it and don't give it to your kids/dogs.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I worked in a sardine cannery for several years. Beach Cliff and Bumblebee brands.

What the sardines are canned in is based on the quality of the sardine itself. When we got a load off the boat, they were graded. The best of the best were canned in water. As the quality degrades, the sauce gets stronger. The ones that barely qualified to be canned at all were canned in hot sauce.

That being said, my favorites are either mustard sauce or jalapeno. They tend to be mid-grade quality but a can of mustard sardines and a stack of Premium Saltines is a feast for me.

Smoked sardines, sometimes called "Kipper Snacks" are good eating too.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post