SIGforum
Sardines

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5250051994

March 05, 2023, 05:12 AM
Bassamatic
Sardines
It's pretty tough to find a fish that I won't eat, but sardines are one of them.

Oysters are a whole 'nother matter though. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
March 05, 2023, 05:18 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

That brings up my question, what process is used to at least somewhat clean out the insides of a sardine?

At the cannery? None. A machine cuts the heads and tails off, and they get popped into the can.

The open cans with the raw fish are pre-treated in a steam cabinet long enough to soften the bones and cook most of the oil out of them. Then the cans are drained and sent to the sealing line where they are topped off with the appropriate sauce and lids sealed on. I never gave it much thought, but I suppose the "guts" are pretty much liquified by the cooking process and drained with the oils and such.

From there they are cooked for a set period of time in a steam retort which is basically a steam pressure cooker.

That's it. Pack 'em up in cartons and ship 'em.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
March 05, 2023, 05:21 AM
egregore
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Sandwich. Rye bread, some Duke's mayo, some coarse ground mustard with horseradish, sardines, slice of onion, slice of cheddar cheese.

March 05, 2023, 05:37 AM
92fstech
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

That brings up my question, what process is used to at least somewhat clean out the insides of a sardine?

At the cannery? None. A machine cuts the heads and tails off, and they get popped into the can.

The open cans with the raw fish are pre-treated in a steam cabinet long enough to soften the bones and cook most of the oil out of them. Then the cans are drained and sent to the sealing line where they are topped off with the appropriate sauce and lids sealed on. I never gave it much thought, but I suppose the "guts" are pretty much liquified by the cooking process and drained with the oils and such.

From there they are cooked for a set period of time in a steam retort which is basically a steam pressure cooker.

That's it. Pack 'em up in cartons and ship 'em.

So when you eat sardines, you're eating fish shit? Eek
March 05, 2023, 05:38 AM
charlie12
I use them in my trap to catch coons

March 05, 2023, 08:08 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Nah, they cook the shit out of them! Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
March 05, 2023, 08:55 AM
sourdough44
In survival training they said one can pretty much eat what a bird eats. Birds eat the fish whole much of the time, guts & all. That being the case, some fish guts should be O.K..
March 05, 2023, 10:53 AM
Expert308
No. I can't get past the idea of eating fish guts. Steamed clams get a pass from me for the same reason. Kipper snacks are good though, on saltines with a little mustard and sharp cheddar.
March 05, 2023, 12:03 PM
Southern Rebel
My granddaddy ate sardines. My granddaddy LOVED sardines. If'n my granddaddy told me to eat sardines, I still wouldn't wouldn't, but he didn't and I ain't.

Now if God told me to, I would, but I wouldn't appreciate His punishment for all my other sins! (Since He didn't, I will settle for the fire and eternal damnation, and quit while I am ahead of the eternal sardines... Eek)
March 05, 2023, 12:05 PM
smschulz
Very healthy ~ High in protein and Omega 3
March 05, 2023, 12:35 PM
Xer0
If the looks bother you, then just use a fork and mash/chop them up in the can before putting on whatever. I do that anyways because it's easier to put on a cracker that way than try to balance a little whole fish. Plus whatever sauce/juice is in the can gets distributed more evenly.
March 05, 2023, 01:07 PM
NavyGuy
I can't say I crave them or go out of my way to fine some, but if I look in the pantry for something to make a quick sammich and find a tin, I'll gladly eat and enjoy.

My first experience with the little fishy was on a train trip from Chicago to Norfolk 1961, in the Navy going off to technical school. Traveling with a buddy, we had about $5 between us and that had to last a week or so before we got paid and we need cab fair to the base. Went to the club car for dinner and the least expensive thing on the menu was a sardine sandwich on white bread. $1.75 or there abouts. (a McDonalds back then was 15 cents.) We ordered one and shared it. We were so damn hungry we gobbled it down without second though.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
March 05, 2023, 02:05 PM
Slippery Pete
My old man used to put the hot sauce ones on a cracker and pay me a buck to eat one when I was a kid. I remember them being a lot hotter back then. Usually made me cry but I was getting that buck. Big Grin

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/
March 05, 2023, 02:13 PM
corsair
I enjoy them.

Get the one's from Spain, they're spectacular. Any of the tapas or, pintxos with seafood are coming out of a can. Preserved in high-end olive oil, so good! I'll take a whole loaf of bread if necessary to sop-up all that golden goodness
March 05, 2023, 02:22 PM
chbibc
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

Meh, circle of life. When you drink water, you're drinking all the things that fish do in it. Up here our water supply is from Lake Ontario. And, the receptacle for our treated sewage is....Lake Ontario.

Back on topic - I love sardines and eat them right out of the can.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.
March 05, 2023, 04:09 PM
TexasScrub
Whole sardines (no head or tail, yuck) with a little red vinegar and sweet onions on fresh rye bread. Le yummy.

March 05, 2023, 04:28 PM
bald1
Yes, King Oscar for sardines but surprised no one (unless I missed it) has mentioned Alstertor Herring 7oz cans in a variety of sauces such as dill-herb, dijon-mustard, paprika creme, or tomato sauce. Great stuff!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
March 05, 2023, 07:47 PM
SSgt USMC/Vet
Love them in Mustard.
March 05, 2023, 09:02 PM
ftttu
I just had my can for the day. My uncle turned me onto them years ago. I try to eat a can a day, but I probably eat about 5 per week.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve
March 05, 2023, 09:28 PM
ARman
I like sardines on occasion. I use to eat them a few times a week, now it's every once in awhile. Now, I do give a can or two a week to my pup, she loves them! Of course I feed her sardines in water.

They are great for your pup! Protein packed and other nutrients.

ARman