Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sardines Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I like the ones canned in mustard, green chilies, or jalapenos. Then add a bit more strong brown mustard and grab the Triscit crackers.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
Love them (sardines) and Kipper Snacks!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ch23701,

Posts: 257 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
My favorite: King Oscar Tiny Tots. They’re bristling sardines.
On pumpernickel with French’s Dijon Mustard.

I should’ve added:
I crack open one end of the sardine tin, set it in the drain of my kitchen sink with the open end down, and let the olive oil drain for at least half an hour.

Then I put two slices of Mestemacher Pumpernickel on a plate, distribute the drained sardines over them, add black pepper and the Dijon mustard.

Then microwave a bit, and eat with knife & fork.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Smoked oysters are the pinnacle of this genre IMO, but I have a devil of a time finding any not from China.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in a Caesar dressing only

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I love them in hot sauce and the smoked kipper snacks too.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Mustard sardines, yes sir,

Every time I eat them I feel like my health gets instantly better.

Hot sauce is also good and what I find the most around here.

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I eat them on club crackers.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
They go into my salad lunch 5 days a week. Much better for me that tuna with the mercury content found in tuna.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1556 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

Sardines in Caesar never occurred to me. I make mine with anchovies.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I eat about all that stuff, sardines, oysters, ‘kipper’ snacks. I thought they were supposed to be good for you? Fish oil?

Yes, possibly more suited to deer camp or camping, though I have them at home. Yes I drink the juice, usually save some to pour on the dog’s food though, no waste.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

Sardines in Caesar never occurred to me. I make mine with anchovies.

Not as pungent as anchovies. Tames the dressing down a bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I like them for the protein and omega 3.. I'll eat them straight from the tin or with saltines.

I only eat them rarely as the family think they smell up the house :/

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Sardines, sure but only eat them when I’m in Italy or Portugal.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
The best sardines I’ve ever had were in Portugal.

Back in the day I played semi pro soccer for Portuguese teams. We went on a couple trips to play a tour of Portugal.

I was staying at a flat on the coast in a little town of Sesimbra.

My coach went down to the beach and bought a bunch of sardines. He bbq them

Fresh from the ocean and large.

They were awesome.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3484 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
King Oscar blurb:

“Did you know that sardines are not a separate species of fish, but a seafood product made from among 22 fish types, using a traditional method? For our world-famous gourmet brisling sardines, we use remarkably tiny and tender sprattus sprattus, responsibly wild-caught from Norway’s pristine, icy fjords and coastal waters – the same as we have for generations. The fish are authentically and lightly smoked in oak-wood ovens for superior taste and texture, then packed by hand into certified BPA-NI, recyclable aluminum cans to assure you the very best quality. King Oscar is the exclusive purveyor of premium Norwegian brisling sardines in the USA.”

https://www.kingoscar.com/products/brisling-sardines/

As I mentioned above, I like King Oscar Tiny Tots bristling sardines in EVOO.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8958 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand sardines. Boneless? Do I just eat them whole out of the tin? Do I pick out the bones? It confuses me. I don’t know what to look for.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I love them. King Oscar in oil are the best. Keep a couple tins in my desk at work. Alwayyhave some at home. No crackers. Just a fork is all I need

My wife loves anchov and smoked oysters. Won’t touch sardines. More for me

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The wife really likes them. She eats them all the time straight from the can, usually on saltines. I never have cared for them. I prefer anchovies.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes one eats the bones, tiny & soft, good for you. As a kid we often went brook trout fishing, very rural. Since the statute of limitations is past, I’ll admit, we kept fish under the legal 7” limit.

Those smaller fish we ate like sardines, cleaned the insides out, battered & fried, bones & all. I think I actually preferred the small ones, easier to eat than picking bones out of an 8” fish.

That brings up my question, what process is used to at least somewhat clean out the insides of a sardine?

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post