SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Members will probably be prompted to update their profile
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Members will probably be prompted to update their profile Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This evening, I've made three additional fields in the member profile, required:

• City

• State

• Country

New registrants, providing false information in these fields will get their registration attempt denied. Unfortunately, this has become necessary because of the increased scammer activity on the board.

I haven't tested it, but I imagine that current members of the forum will be prompted to fill in these fields, but my concern is not the people who are already here.

Someone, anyone, please let me know if you get such a prompt. Thank you.

How can I know if they are providing false information as to location? Because each and every new registration gets screened by me, and in this screening I trace the IP address associated with the registration attempt. Things don't match up? Boom. Gone. And a VPN won't do them any good. I already disallow anyone attempting to register when using a VPN.

The harder they try, the closer we'll scrutinize.
  •  
    Posts: 107461 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I got it. Had to enter my city, the rest was already in my profile.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posting without pants
    Picture of KevinCW
    posted Hide Post
    Ah, I was confused as I was just logging in and got the prompt. It wouldn't let me even view the forum until I logged in, and wouldn't let me log in until I updated my profile with the required information.

I updated my stuff.

I think it is a good idea, and hopefully will cut down on your workload chasing away scammer assholes.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    OK, I figured as much. Thank you.

posted Hide Post
    Just did the update Para. The only thing I had to update or enter was my Country( or USA). I updated through my VPN if that makes a difference.

Posts: 931 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Snackologist
    Picture of BigJoe
    posted Hide Post
    I had to update.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
    ....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Genorogers:
    Just did the update Para. The only thing I had to update or enter was my Country( or USA). I updated through my VPN if that makes a difference.
    Then, you must have had the other fields already filled in, and it doesn't matter a bit if you're using a VPN right now. I don't like to see it when posting in Classifieds and I won't accept a registration attempt with a VPN, but, otherwise, I don't care.

Firearms Enthusiast
    Picture of Mustang-PaPa
    posted Hide Post
    I had to do it before proceeding any further.

Posts: 18028 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Logged in and taken directly to profile page. Filled in required fields and good to go.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    I know it's going to throw some members off, but really, at this point, it can't be helped. Enough is enough.

I have to know the actual location of anyone trying to register for this forum. Trust me, this will be helpful to me in keeping the riff-raff out of here.

My other Sig
    is a Steyr.
    Picture of .38supersig
    posted Hide Post
    Done.

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Genorogers:
    Then, you must have had the other fields already filled in, and it doesn't matter a bit if you're using a VPN right now. I don't like to see it when posting in Classifieds and I won't accept a registration attempt with a VPN, but, otherwise, I don't care.

Yep, all the other fields were filled except Country. I remember our talk about VPN and the classified section so I understand.

Posts: 931 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    Is it obvious, when it takes you to the page, as to what exactly is being asked for? Some folks are...less than perceptive.

posted Hide Post
    I was asked for country.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bobandmikako
    posted Hide Post
    I had to update my profile. I only had to fill in the country (USA). Everything else was already there. Thanks.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    wishing we
    were congress
    posted Hide Post
    got the prompt

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I’m in.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Do---or do not.
    There is no try.
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:
    Is it obvious, when it takes you to the page, as to what exactly is being asked for? Some folks are...less than perceptive.

I updated.

The information required and the information requested are both quite clear. I think everyone on here is happy that you’re looking out for us as members and the integrity of the Forum.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    My ISP rather annoyingly shows their location not mine. Lots of websites (eg Lowe’s) think I’m in Southwest Houston when I’m actually in one of Houston’s northern suburbs.

Would this cause a problem? I know you’re mainly looking at new registrants but if one of my neighbors signed up (eg the LEO who is a gun nut like us) most likely there will be this problem.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    And any new registrant who wants to get cute and put "Nunya" or "Null" or whatever in these fields will have their application denied. Anyone who is so paranoid that they think telling us what city they are in is a security risk for them, can just go elsewhere. These three newly-required fields are viewable only by forum admin.